'61 Comet v. Lark DeLuxe (video)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '61 Comet v. Lark DeLuxe (video)

Interesting propagan-, I mean, talking points slideshow for Mercury dealers to diss our Lark. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uikNEBcjxa0

See if you can i.d. the two-words most often repeated to impart "value."

Andy
    62 GT

Andy
    62 GT

It makes an excellent case for the Comet... if it was 1961 I was looking for a new car that size, I probably would have taken the Comet myself! It would probably have come down to a test drive.

Of course, most of the strikes against the Lark in that comparison have turned into endearing traits all these years later[:X]

Now if you'll excuse me I'm off to eBay to look for a 61 Comet...............

Robert (Bob) Andrews- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys)
    Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

Were the Lark and the Comet considered to be in the same class?

I guess I was thinking the Falcon and the Lark would be more equal to each other...

<div align="left">1960 Lark VI</div id="left"> <div align="right">1962 7E7-122</div id="right">
      [img=left]http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l163/62champ/car/8b0ac4c6.jpg[/img=left]
      [img=right]http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l163/62champ/car/DSC02237.jpg[/img=right]

Comment

What WOULD I do without those GUNSIGHT FENDER ORNAMENTS. And the fuel mileage is?????

Comment

I couldn't find my 61 Lark comparison booklet, but I have the 62 Comparison.

Leonard Shepherd

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 62champ

Were the Lark and the Comet considered to be in the same class?

I guess I was thinking the Falcon and the Lark would be more equal to each other...
            The Regal or even the Cruiser would have been a more fair comparison to the Comet. The Deluxe was more in Falcon territory for trim level and available accessories.

Craig

Comment

No V8 in a comet/falcon in '61 yet, advantage... LARK!

Those Comets always struck me as looking weird [], they're kind of neat but I would have chosen the Lark.

I don't know why they were picking on the Lark though, I don't think they gave them that much competition. [V]

I have a 63 Chevy DVD that I got in a set recently at Big Lots and they don't even mention or compare Studebaker in it.

John

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Bordeaux Daytona

I don't know why they were picking on the Lark though, I don't think they gave them that much competition. [V]
                I think it's a real compliment for the Lark; they were concerned enough about it's popularity to develop this comparison.

I'd bet most companies do this type of thing when they sense serious competition.

Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

Excellent (as usual) post, Leonard. The whether effective or not, the Studebaker "guilt by association" rebuttal in '62 was pretty smart:
                  1) Make the Comet only superficially indistinguishable from the Falcon. (4" wheelbase)
                  2) Make easy case for why Lark &gt; Falcon.
                  3) By transitive property, if Lark &gt; Falcon, then Lark &gt; Comet.

I'm surprised they didn't mention the wheel/tire size that made the Falcons/Comets appear bigger proportionally in photos. Somewhere, a Radio Flyer sits on blocks.

FWIW, a close friend had a '63 2-dr Comet V8. The Wagonaire ate its lunch in every driving condition, rain or shine, straight or curvy, without losing a single "bright-metal" piece of "value".

Andy
                  62 GT

Andy
                  62 GT

Comment

In that 62 pub the Lark looks like (and is!) a much more substantial car.

Jeff DeWitt

Jeff DeWitt
                    http://carolinastudes.net

Comment

Geeze, Lousie; it's a good thing Leonard Shepherd's Mom didn't seen that training film, or Leonard would have missed out on an important part of his youth in his Mom's new, 1961 Lark V-8 4-door.

(And he certainly wouldn't have participated in any drag racing with the Comet. It would have been a drag, nonetheless, watching the speedometer needle climb ever so slowly as the 144, or even optional 170 six, wheezed it's way to 60 MPH!)

A couple pointers on the video:

1. I had no idea Gunsight Front Fender Ornaments were so critical to new cars in 1961. They must have been; they're mentioned over and over as a big feature over the Lark.

2. Early in the video, the Comet is cited as having "full length, stainless-steel bodyside moldings, not available on the Lark." Say what, oh Ford operative; what are those long moldings on all 1961 Larks, anyway?

3. I never knew a full-flow oil filter was optional on a 1961 Lark. Partial-flow, yes; but the video distinctly says a full-flow was optional at extra cost on the Lark.

Man, you learn new things every day. BP
                      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

the big disadvantage of the comet was the 144 and 170 6-cylinders they were two of the worst engines ford ever made.the 200 and 250 were very good engines but they came along later.my dad had a 1961 falcon 4 -door wagon we were scared to take it out of the city limits.needless to say the falcon did not last long.and we lived in a small town.

Comment

And a big selling feature was the left over 60 Edsel tail lamps?? Give me a break!

60 Lark convertible
                          61 Champ
                          62 Daytona convertible
                          63 G.T. R-2,4 speed
                          63 Avanti (2)
                          66 Daytona Sport Sedan
                          59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
                          60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
                          61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
                          62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
                          62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
                          62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
                          63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
                          63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
                          64 Zip Van
                          66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
                          66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Hoo BOY! That "bright metal instrument cluster" would have nailed me for sure! Not to mention those gunsight fender ornaments. Wonder what calibre machine guns you could get to go with those???[:0]

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                            1963 Cruiser
                            1960 Larkvertible V8
                            1958 Provincial wagon
                            1953 Commander coupe
                            1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

I tried to imagine myself in the market for a new car, with no particular allegiance, in the year I was born- and a compact car at that. Watching that video would definitely have made me interested in trying out a Comet! The trunk size difference would have been a point with me; and that Comet roofline probably would have been preferable to a stale early 50s look. Probably standard quad headlights, as opposed to extra cost, would make a difference as well. And while there's no doubt the Lark's bigger tires are better, at the time I might have preferred the 13s- cheaper to replace, keeping with the theme of an economy car. Ultimately it would have come down to the whole package: Ride, feel, comfort, styling, and power- and what kind of deal I could have made. Gunsights? Trim? Would have been a small factor under styling, but not a big thing either way for me. I've driven many small sixes of that era, and none of them were that bad to me- IF used as intended.

Of course all this is speculation, since I wasn't there and can't go back but it's fun to think about[8D]

Another thought: Did you ever notice that non-running clocks' hands are always set at 10 and 2? That's a little marketing trick- that position emulates a smile, which subconsciously makes a person more likely to buy. I wonder if the Comet's "smiling" rear view helped sell them?? Looks a little friendlier than the Lark's dead-pan rear look

Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

Working...
                              X