• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1963 Avanti available

Need some thoughts on the following car for sale:
    1963 Avanti R2.
    Real wire wheels (from the factory?
    Driver door fit is way off (owner says probably hit in door).
    4 Speed.
    Fair condition but smells musty inside.

Rough price range would be?

quote:Originally posted by 55studie

Need some thoughts on the following car for sale:
    1963 Avanti R2.

No

Driver door fit is way off (owner says probably hit in door).
    4 Speed.

Could have rusty hog troughs or frame throwing off the door jam

Fair condition but smells musty inside.

$3000-415,000 without knowing more.

JDP/Maryland
    JDP Maryland

Comment

So John,
      What else would you like to know?

Comment

Serial number, body tag, photos, photos, photos!
        Brad Johnson,
        SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
        '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
        '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 55studie

So John,
          What else would you like to know?
          How are the hog troughs and frame. Does the car need paint, interior or chrome ? Pictures would get closer, but just remember:

"There is nothing more expensive then a cheap Avanti"

JDP/Maryland
          JDP Maryland

Comment

Everyone's idea of condition is different.

"Fair condition" might cross to an Old Cars Price Guide "Good Condition"?

(A driveable vehicle needing no or only minor work to be functional. All components may need restoration to be excellent, but the car is mostly useable as is. This is a driver.)

If so, it books at $5600, + 40% for the R2 or $7840.

Add if it's better than that description. Take away if the hog troughs or frame is rusted or in poorer overall condition.

Dick Steinkamp
            Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
            Bellingham, WA

Comment

Dick,

Your description is fairley accurate. Don't know much more about the car except it has 70K miles and 1 hog trough has a rust hole about the size of a quarter.

I might get more info next week. Thanks.

Comment

quote:1963 Avanti R2.
                How come no one has questioned this? Don't think so, myself.

thnx, jack vines

PackardV8
                PackardV8

Comment

quote:Originally posted by PackardV8

quote:1963 Avanti R2.
                  How come no one has questioned this? Don't think so, myself.

thnx, jack vines

PackardV8
                  I said no in my first post.

JDP/Maryland
                  JDP Maryland

Comment

70K miles doesn't sound bad, but here's some things I've learned lately; Avanti paint job = $3-5K on a good day. Replacing the windshield, rear window, and all the door rubber is about another $500. Replacement emblem set = $350. If bumpers need rechroming, good luck. I've been quoted $350 to $700 each and up to 11 weeks wait time. Rechromed valve covers are $200 exchange and chrome oil caps about $50/pr. I've been told the factory Prestolite dual-point dist has a 60K life span, so that's $375 for a Tbow or about $100 for a Pertronix kit. Hog troughs are about $2K and then there's installation. Interior work is not cheap, especially the dash, a headliner kit is $170. Hope the motor, trans and blower are in good shape - don't even want to go there. But there is a used Paxton blower on eBay right now for $750. A used R2 Carb needing a rebuild just went for over $500. In sum, JDP is exactly right; "There's nothing more expensive than a cheap Avanti." if you're going to fix it up. However, if you can get the car cheap and part it out, that's another story. The individual parts from a Studebaker Avanti are worth a small fortune.
                    edp/NC
                    \'63 Avanti
                    \'66 Commander

Comment

1963 R2 4 speed with wire wheels - my favorite kind of Avanti!

In lieu of pictures, take a look and let us know how this Avanti compares to

Of course, if you can post pics then that will help too.

Something worth mentioning because I see it all the time with older cars for sale: just because the odometer *shows* 70k miles doesn't tell you how many times the odometer has turned over. I.E., 170k or 270k are easy possibilities for true mileage. Often when I point out to a seller that the claimed mileage is not believable because of their cars condition and the older cars having one less odemeter digit position than a modern car I am met with "well how am I supposed to know if it has turned over." In other words, caveat emptor. If you do the math of 70k divided by 46 years = 1,521 miles per year average, which is most believable for cars in show condition - or for cars that have sat for years on end without being driven.

Good luck, Thomas

Long time hot rodder
                      Packrat junk collector
                      '63 Avanti R2 4 speed

Comment

The Avanti I am looking at is nowhere close to the one in the vidoe.
                        Imagine the one in the video being a dull gold. Now imagine it 40 years from now. will post more later.

Comment

Originally posted by 55studie

Originally posted by JDP[/i]
                          No

We've seen that asked many times. I think the answer has always been no wire wheels were ever offered from the factory for postwar cars. Just wire hubcap versions, 55studie. As mentioned, post some pics, we'd like to see it. If it's on Craigslist or eBay, chances are it's been seen spotted by eagle-eyed forum members anyway.

$3000-415,000 without knowing more.

Now, [i]that's a real gold paint job I'd like to see, John! [)]

Comment

My story.

I saw the Avanti at a customers house. It was in his driveway. Was in some sort of storage in the past. No storage available now.
                            He found out I was a studebaker fan (55 rusty commander, 65 Daytona, and 57 Golden Hawk). Asked me if I wanted to buy it. He gave me a price of over 20K. I think he and I know its nowhere near that. He did ask me to make an offer (offer anything).

I really haven't considered owning an Avanti. Thought about buying it because just because its a R2.
                            Still don't know if I want to make an offer.

Comment

He's not going to want to hear 5K, if he's at 20K fishing. [:0]

Comment

Working...
                              X