Aluminum R3 Heads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aluminum R3 Heads

I am after some feedback on the aluminum R3 repo heads that Lionel Stone is selling. Obviously the weight saving is there, but can any member inform me do they flow as good as originals. Does anyone know of a person using them at present and have they encountered any problems. Any feedback please. Brian.
    Brian Greenall
    Melbourne, OZ
    sigpic

Talk to Dave Theabolt (sp), I think he has installed them before. There may be a fit problem?

Comment

You may need a extra thousand or two in machine shop work from what I've heard to make them work.

JDP/Maryland
      JDP Maryland

Comment

Here's a good article on iron vs aluminum heads. Both run on the same engine on a dyno...

Bottom line..."zero difference anywhere in the power or detonation characteristics of the iron versus aluminum heads."

Dick Steinkamp
        Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
        Bellingham, WA

Comment

DAVE THIBEAULT ENGINEERED MY 51 PROJECT AND IT WAS DECIDED TO GO WITH THE STEEL HEADS ON MY R4.

Comment

quote: GO WITH THE STEEL HEADS ON MY R4.
            Minor point, but in a technology discussion, terminology is all we have. There are no steel heads. They're either cast iron or aluminum.

thnx, jack vines

PackardV8
            PackardV8

Comment

If what I've seen is as stated as the original head used to make the port mold for these heads, they may need some port floor (short turn area) work (as in, additional material). If the short turn is as low as I think it is, much low and midlift flow will be lost. This area is critical for good torque.

It's been a few years since I saw a set first hand and do not recall the port shape exactly.
              As others have said, fitup problems may occure along with the questionable port shape.

If you have extra money and do get a set, please let us know what happens.

As may be noted in the article noted above, more compression is required to offset the extra cooling effect of the aluminum head.

Mike

Comment

First of all, Lionel Stone is owed respect by us all for being the main guy to step up with his aluminum heads, intakes, water manifolds and many other performance parts.

Having said this, and only of the heads, that they have been offered for lo these many years and no SDC members or Racing Studebaker forum members have ever stepped forward singing their praises is something to think about.

thnx, jack vines

PackardV8
                PackardV8

Comment

Thanks for your input guy's, I will give Dave Thibeault a call, I have bought parts off him over the years. I just want to know which way to go before I start spending. Either way stock cast iron or aluminum they will still have to be put on a flow bench. Brian.
                  Brian Greenall
                  Melbourne, OZ
                  sigpic

Comment

Working...
                  X