CK windshield rubber

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CK windshield rubber

A friend of mine is trying to install windshield to a 61 hawk.
    He said that the rubber seems to be too thick to go into the window opening.
    He bought the rubber from SASCO.
    Has anyone encountered similiar problems?
    If so, what was the solution?
    Thanks.

Paul

Your friend is a professional auto glass installer?

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1963 Cruiser
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe
    1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

No, He is a hobbyist who actualy works at the hobby instead of
      farming out everything, unlike some others.

Comment

Does your friend have the shop manual? There are specific instructions for the installation. There is definitely a trick to it. I watched an experienced Studebaker guy put one in last year and even he had to take a couple tries to get it in there. I can email the pages from the manual if he needs them. Send me a Private Message with the email address.

As for farming stuff out, I will refer to Harry Callahan "A man needs to know his limitations."

Pat

Pat Dilling
        Olivehurst, CA
        Custom '53 Starlight aka Stu Cool

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611
        Pat Dilling
        Olivehurst, CA
        Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

Better hurry.
          There seems to be less and less glass installers that have
          worked on the old style glass intallations. Not surprising.

Check out their experience on this type before giving them the job.

Some CASO's have done more of those than the pro's.

LP
          sigpic
          Lark Parker --Just an innocent possum strolling down life's highway.

Comment

I just did the windshield in my '57 wagon with a friend who used to be in the install biz. We found it important to make sure the glass is seated firmly at the bottom before pulling the rope.

Chip
            '63 Cruiser daily driver
            '57 Packard wagon on the road!
            Chip
            '63 Cruiser
            '57 Packard wagon
            '61 Lark Regal 4 dr wagon
            '50 Commander 4 dr sedan

Comment

The best tip I got [right here on the forum] was to use GOJO hand cleaner for lube on the rubber.

Oglesby,Il.
              " He's not happy unless there's some piece of $#%& in the driveway to work on"
              Oglesby,Il.

Comment

My question was whether or not this was something he was experienced with. Even the "experienced" glaziers of today are befuddled by this old style of glass installation. There's a knack to it that ain't gained by fiddling around with it one time.[^]

Edit: If I remember correctly, ALL the vendors get their rubber from one source. And that source has been providing Stude rubber for decades.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                1963 Cruiser
                1960 Larkvertible V8
                1958 Provincial wagon
                1953 Commander coupe
                1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 52hawk

The best tip I got [right here on the forum] was to use GOJO hand cleaner for lube on the rubber.

Oglesby,Il.
                  " He's not happy unless there's some piece of $#%& in the driveway to work on"
                  I use 409. Whatever mess you make with it, you clean up with it!

Chip
                  '63 Cruiser daily driver
                  '57 Packard wagon on the road!
                  Chip
                  '63 Cruiser
                  '57 Packard wagon
                  '61 Lark Regal 4 dr wagon
                  '50 Commander 4 dr sedan

Comment

Send the rubber back for a replacement. This is not a 1-time thing of "oversized" rubber. SAVE yourself alot of headache..
                    I have PERSONALLY installed at least 30 front and rear glasses... and I have run into (3) weatherstrips that indeed appeared to be TOO BIG. The only cure is to get another piece.

The problem comes with the factory process used to control shrinkage after mixing the rubber. Sometimes... they just don't get the mix right..and you will get oversized pieces.

Ray

Specializing in Studebaker Restoration
                    Ray

www.raylinrestoration.com

Comment

I installed my 56 wagon by myswlf about 6 months ago. The rubber was a little to big but I worked with it and finally got it to go. I am no professional but have installed many over the years (over 20) and due to the oversize it was tougher then the average but workable. I would send back if there is a chance the next one would be smaller. Good Luck!

1956 Studebaker Pelham Wagon Houston, Texas
                      Remember, \"When all is said and done. More is always said then ever done.\"

Comment

had mine installed by a pro yesterday morning,took him about 2 hours.
                        of course,the cheap-ass Taiwanese glass is all wavy,and the cheap-ass gasket (don't know where that's from,probably China like every other darn thing) doesn't fit in the corners very well.,but it's in.

wagons ho!

Comment

quote:Originally posted by yorgatron

and the cheap-ass gasket (don't know where that's from,probably China like every other darn thing) doesn't fit in the corners very well.,but it's in.
                          It's made in Denver, NC by Steele Rubber Products inc.
                          It didn't fit that great from the factory either.... Why do you think your floorboards are rusted out?
                          I'd be thankful you can even buy new rubber. The commitment necessary by the vendors to even have simple pieces reproduced is great.

As I said in my earlier post... out of 30-40 gaskets... I have had (2) that were a bit oversized and I replaced them easily and quickly. It might be an inconvenience to have to exchange them... but consider the alternative? Universal moulding? Glue it in with Urethane? Junk the car because you can't get required parts?

Ray

Ray

www.raylinrestoration.com

Comment

I've only done three myself, the last one working with a professional, (it took both of us to pop it in) but all were the Regal type with the full stainless trim inserts for the groove. I had the Steele Rubber versions and the NOS versions. The NOS were really thick and not nearly as pliable. We went with the new version. There is a big difference just with those. As Ray said, send it back, you may have gotten a bad one.

Comment

Working...
                            X