motor parts suppliers and upgrades

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• motor parts suppliers and upgrades

The wisdom of the list has directed me to rebuild the motor in my 63Avanti rather than convert to a Ford block.
    2 questions:
    1- who are the major suppliers of parts? services? I have a frozen supercharger that needs a rebuild.
    2- any suggestions on how to hop up the engine without building a full race car?
    TIA
    Richard

1. On the left side of the Studebaker Drivers Club main page is a valuable list of things "Studebaker". The last one is valuable links, and in that group are the Studebaker Vendors. Also, if you have not subscribed to "Turning Wheels", you need to. Also, from our vendors, one can get a service manual. Very necessary.
    2. On hopping up the engine, it would help to go to the Racing Studebaker forum located at the same main page. Hope this helps you get started.

Comment

There are lots of great vendors out there; I've used Fairborn (run by Phil Harris), SASCO, Stude International, Bob Kapteyn, and many more I can't remember at this time!
      If you contact Phil Harris, he will be able to talk performance options with you. I am sure others out there can also, and this forum is a great resource of information, and has proved to be extremely helpful - I am in the midst of rebuilding my R2 engine now.

Eric DeRosa

'49 2R-5 (original Survivor)
      '63 R2 Lark (barely surviving)
      Eric DeRosa

\'63 R2 Lark
      \'60 Lark Convertible

Comment

I know John Erb, long-time advisor to The Studebaker Co-Operator in TURNING WHEELS is still rebuilding superchargers. Getting that monthly magazine as a member of the SDC is your best resource.
        Brad Johnson,
        SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
        '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
        '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Hot rodding a Stude is much the same as hot rodding most any other engine.
          The more air in, equals more power. This applies to moderate performance and mileage also.

As you say, there's no need to go too far.
          Although...many of the same modifications apply.

A 500cfm carburetor (stay away from the larger versions!!)
          A manifold to suit the carb. (original or L.S copies)
          Some deliberate head work
          Properly working ignition
          A properly set up ring package
          Dual exhaust

Plus all the little details that go with the above.

Did I mention the word "details". A lot of what people miss...is the carefull work...the "details"...

Mike

Comment

Working...
          X