PDA

View Full Version : 4 speed bellhousing???

Jeff T.
12-28-2006, 10:32 PM
I had a thought after reading a tech article on 4 speed interchange/swaps into v8 Studebakers. While the author mentioned T-10s and toploaders and the like, what was not mentioned, perhaps implied, was the bellhousing i.e. you already have a 4 speed housing

If one possesses a standard automotive v8 bellhousing can it be redrilled for a T-10 or a toploader or whatever? or is the studebaker 4 speed bellhousing a specificly cast part seperate from the standard v8 bellhousing

Also what about the truck bellhousing for the T-98? is it's mounting face large enought for anyother transmission possibility?

Just wondering

Jeff T.

"I'm getting nowhere as fast as I can"
The Replacements.

Transtar60
12-29-2006, 08:10 AM
The early T-10s used a specially cast bellhousing(Chevy bolt pattern). The later T-10s used the same bellhousing as three speed .
The truck bellhousings do have a large face, the bolt patterns vary between the different trannys and the dimensions of the pilot hole do too.

3E38
4E2
4E28
5E13
7E7
8E7
8E12
8E28
4E2
59 Lark
etc

Flat Ernie
12-29-2006, 06:47 PM
Which bellhousing offers the most adaptability?

Currently have a 3-spd in my '53, but am evaluating T5 transplant...

The T5 has two bolt patterns; Chevy & late Ford. So using a Chevy T5 in one of the early T10 bellhousings would be the way to go??

Daddy always said, if yer gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough & I'm one tough sumbitch!

Chicken Hawk
12-29-2006, 10:45 PM
The bolt pattern for the T-86 on the '51 through '57 is different than the '58 through '64. The later is supposedly the Ford type. The early Four speeds ('61 and first part of '62) had a bell housing with a bolt pattern the same as the Chevy. In mid '62 they went to the T-86 pattern so all late '62 and all '63 and '64 used the same housing for both the T-86 and the four speed.

Hope this helps.

Ted

quote:Originally posted by Flat Ernie

Which bellhousing offers the most adaptability?

Currently have a 3-spd in my '53, but am evaluating T5 transplant...

The T5 has two bolt patterns; Chevy & late Ford. So using a Chevy T5 in one of the early T10 bellhousings would be the way to go??

Daddy always said, if yer gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough & I'm one tough sumbitch!