Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Studebaker Lark - Consumer Reports Best Buy!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebaker Lark - Consumer Reports Best Buy!

While digging through a box looking for something else, I came across the [u]1961 Consumer Reports Auto Issue</u>. Inside, the '61 Lark Regal V8 was selected as the Best Buy in the Luxury Compact class.

I'm not going to re-type the whole write-up, but To quote:
    -"excellent front seating, and easy entry and exit."
    -"..the 8-cylinder Lark is very quiet inside. The V8 engine, without hydraulic lifters, is modern, but well seasoned and trouble free"
    -"The Lark V8 offers excellent automatic, manual and overdrive transmissions..."
    -"A major '61 improvement is the new steering system..."
    -"Quality of assembly and general workmanship is high on Studebaker models, and the V8 is one of only six current U.S. cars to emerge with a good frequency of repair record..."
    -"The good frequency of repair record, the admirable compactness of the total design, the smoothness of the engine and transmission, the excellent front seating and access, the well-seasoned and sensible nature of the car in general in CU's judgement entitles the car, dispite it's faults, to a rating amongst Luxury Compact V8s in this group as a Best Buy"

It is interesting the Consumers Reports ranked the Lark a best buy in '61. I have a few other early auto issues I could look into if anyone is interested.

Eric DeRosa

'49 2R-5 (original Survivor)
    '63 R2 Lark (barely surviving)
    Eric DeRosa

\'63 R2 Lark
    \'60 Lark Convertible

Sweet! Think I'm gonna head on down to the local Stude dealer and snag one tomorrow morning... Well. If only I was about forty years older, I coulda!

LH
    Whirling dervish of misinformation.

Comment

I certainly agree with them. In early 1964, we bought a low mileage 1961 Lark VIII Regal sedan from a local Studebaker dealer for Cathy to use. It was an excellent car.

Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

I met a man at a car show a year or two ago who had owned a '61 Lark for years. I believe he bought it new (or nearly so). He also had a '67 Pontiac (I'm not sure of the model) in the late 60s at the same time he had the '61 Lark.

He said that, in spite of being almost new at the time, the '67 Pontiac wasn't near as good a car as the '61 Lark. He had fond memories of that Stude.

The only downside of the conversation was that for all those years, the man still thought that the Lark's 289 engine was made by Ford! I had to set him straight on that point and told him it was made by Rambler!

Tom
        1960 Lark VIII
        1962 Lark Cruiser
        Tom
        1960 Lark VIII
        1962 Lark Cruiser
        1964 Cruiser

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 259man

I met a man at a car show a year or two ago who had owned a '61 Lark for years. I believe he bought it new (or nearly so). He also had a '67 Pontiac (I'm not sure of the model) in the late 60s at the same time he had the '61 Lark.

He said that, in spite of being almost new at the time, the '67 Pontiac wasn't near as good a car as the '61 Lark. He had fond memories of that Stude.

The only downside of the conversation was that for all those years, the man still thought that the Lark's 289 engine was made by Ford! I had to set him straight on that point and told him it was made by Rambler!

Tom
          If his 1961 Lark came with a 289, it had to be a Cruiser. The Cruiser was the only 1961 that had the 289 as an option. Most all 1961 Lark VIIIs and Cruisers had 259s.

Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
          Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Another magazine that called the '61 Lark a "Best Buy" was the January, 1961, issue of Speed Mechanics. A photo of a '61 four-door wagon was on the cover with the headline "Best Buy--the '61 Lark" and the then new overhead valve six was sitting on an engine stand in front of the wagon. The brick building in the background may have been a Studebaker plant building. The article includes a photo of a '61 at speed on the high speed oval at the Studebaker Proving Grounds.

That issue of Speed Mechnics was very complimentary about the '61s and even included a good 0-60 time of 10.5 seconds for a '61 259 2-barrel V-8 wagon. The mag was rather small, measuring 5 1/4" X 8" and had a total of 84 pages, including covers.

George

george krem
            george krem

Comment

Working...
            X