Heat Riser function

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heat Riser function

OK...I'm pretty sure I installed my NORS heat riser on the 63' 289 correctly. I even filed down the inside of the pipe so as to have a clean action without rubbing.....so: I think the thing is not working correctly. I say this because the weight doesn't move no matter what temperature the engine is. Absolutely no spring action at all. When installed and looking down and from the outside, the counterweight is sitting covering an position of 6-9(on the clock). In this position, the weight (cold) holds this position. If I rotate the weight clockwise to about 11-2, not only will it hold in that position (it can stick) but I get the nice throaty dual sound of the exhaust going down the road, especially with deceleration. NOW: Do I have this installed wrong ?? More specifically: when the thermostatic coil gets HOT doesn't it expand and spread out moving the weight ?

I think you have installed it upside down the way you describe it. The weight when cold should be at about the one or two o'clock position, as the spring heats up the weight will drop to about 5 o'clock.

Frank van Doorn
    1962 GT Hawk 4 speed
    1963 Daytona Conv
    1941 Champion R-2 Rod
    Frank van Doorn
    Omaha, Ne.
    1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
    1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
    1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

Yes it is upsidedown, but the sticking could be the butterfly hitting the Exhaust Manifold, and you will need to grind a little off of the heat riser butterfly to correct it.

Is this NORS one, the Repro with the half round counterweight?

StudeRich
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

yes NORS

Comment

HOW ABOUT THE HEAT RISER FUNCTION ON A 185CI, 6CYL.....WHERE DOES THE HEAT RISER GO...DOES IT GO TO THE CARB.?

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 907-1958 CHAMPION

HOW ABOUT THE HEAT RISER FUNCTION ON A 185CI, 6CYL.....WHERE DOES THE HEAT RISER GO...DOES IT GO TO THE CARB.?
            It is that little removable plate on the side of the exhaust manifold, there is a cover & 2 bolts, valve & shaft, thermostat (spring), balance weight, Valve bushings and Gasket in there!
            All available at Studebaker Vendors at studebakervendors.com

It does not connect to the intake manifold, it merely heats it.

StudeRich
            StudeRich
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

OK, WHAT ABOUT THE SMALL PIPE COMING OUT THE TOP OF THE EXHAUST MANIFOLD ON THE LH SIDE, FIREWALL SIDE OF THE CARB.

Comment

OK, WHAT ABOUT THE SMALL PIPE COMING OUT THE TOP OF THE EXHAUST MANIFOLD ON THE LH SIDE, FIREWALL SIDE OF THE CARB.
                Carburetor Automatic Choke Heat tube, no vacuum, no exhaust just heat!

StudeRich
                StudeRich
                SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

THANKS STUDERICH, WILL IT THEN CONNECT TO THE "CLIMATIZER" CHOKE ON THE CARB.

Comment

Lots of pictures of my Champion 170 heat riser here:

The 185 should be similar or identical.

Nathan

Comment

O, I HAVE CLEANED THAT OUT, NO PROBLEM.....I AM INQ ABOUT 1/4" PIPE THAT RUNS THROUGH THE EXHAUST MANIFOLD, AND COMES OUT ON THE FIREWALL SIDE OF THE CARBEURATOR...., SHOULD THAT RUN INTO SOMETHING?

Comment

O, I HAVE CLEANED THAT OUT, NO PROBLEM.....I AM INQ ABOUT 1/4" PIPE THAT RUNS THROUGH THE EXHAUST MANIFOLD, AND COMES OUT ON THE FIREWALL SIDE OF THE CARBEURATOR...., SHOULD THAT RUN INTO SOMETHING?
                        I believe the Carb. Automatic Choke heater pipe could only go to the Carb. Automatic choke!

It may help to consult Pg. 10 of the Engine Section of your 1955 to 1958 Studebaker Chassis Parts Catalog for a pic. of the Intake/Exhaust Manifold.

You cannot maintain a Studebaker without using the Shop Manual and Parts Catalogs.

StudeRich
                        StudeRich
                        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

STUDERICH, I HAVE A SHOP MANUAL, IT GIVES LIMITED DESCRIPTION OF PIPE, I DO NOT HAVE A PARTS MAN. CAN YOU HELP ME MORE.

Comment

On most 6 Cyl. engines, there is another tube with a enlarged end that slips over the one in the manifold with a big curve at the top and a flared end with a compression nut to allow it to screw onto the threaded nipple on the Auto. choke housing.

StudeRich
                            StudeRich
                            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

THATS IT, THANKS A LOT......OWNED MY CAR FOR ABOUT 15 YEARS, GETTING EXCITED ABOUT FIRING UP THE OL CHAMP. THANKS AGAIN

Comment

Working...
                              X