This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Title on a car

Hello, Is it illegal or legal to sell a title only on a car I am parting out?

If you are speaking about pure legality? No it is'nt legal. A title is for one particular car only. However, what the DMV doesn't know...

Lotsa Larks!
    K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
    Ron Smith
    Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
    Ron Smith
    Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

If you are speaking about pure legality? No it is'nt legal. A title is for one particular car only. However, what the DMV doesn't know...

Lotsa Larks!
      Ron Smith
      Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
      Ron Smith
      Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

I wonder if it would be legal if you sold a part of the car (ONE part) with the title? Probably a stretch, but hey - so you had to replace a few things! [}]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
        1960 Larkvertible V8
        1958 Provincial wagon
        1953 Commander coupe
        1957 President 2-dr
        1955 President State
        1951 Champion Biz cpe
        1963 Daytona project FS
        No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

I wonder if it would be legal if you sold a part of the car (ONE part) with the title? Probably a stretch, but hey - so you had to replace a few things! [}]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
          1960 Larkvertible V8
          1958 Provincial wagon
          1953 Commander coupe
          1957 President 2-dr
          1955 President State
          1951 Champion Biz cpe
          1963 Daytona project FS
          No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Preferably the manufacturer's VIN plate. I think that would make it legal.

Brad Johnson
            Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
            33 Rockne 10
            51 Commander Starlight
            53 Commander Starlight

previously: 63 Cruiser, 62 Regal VI, 60 VI convertible, 50 LandCruiser
            Brad Johnson,
            SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
            Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
            '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
            '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Brad Johnson
              Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
              33 Rockne 10
              51 Commander Starlight
              53 Commander Starlight

previously: 63 Cruiser, 62 Regal VI, 60 VI convertible, 50 LandCruiser
              Brad Johnson,
              SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
              Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
              '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
              '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

quote:Originally posted by rockne10

As Brad points out, a title is probably of little value if not accompanied by a matching serial tag. If one has a matched pair, then they could swap the tag and use the title.

Guido Salvage - "Where rust is beautiful"

Studebaker horse drawn buggy; 1946 M-16 fire truck; 1948 M-16 grain truck; 1949 2R16A grain truck; 1949 2R17A fire truck; 1950 2R5 pickup; 1952 2R17A grain truck; 1952 Packard 200 4 door; 1955 E-38 grain truck; 1957 3E-40 flatbed; 1961 6E-28 grain truck; 1962 7E-13D 4x4 rack truck; 1962 7E-7 Champ pickup; 1962 GT Hawk 4 speed; 1963 8E-28 flatbed; 1964 Avanti R2 4 speed; 1964 Cruiser and various other "treasures".

Hiding and preserving Studebakers in Richmond & Louisa, Va.

Comment

As Brad points out, a title is probably of little value if not accompanied by a matching serial tag. If one has a matched pair, then they could swap the tag and use the title.

Guido Salvage - "Where rust is beautiful"

Studebaker horse drawn buggy; 1946 M-16 fire truck; 1948 M-16 grain truck; 1949 2R16A grain truck; 1949 2R17A fire truck; 1950 2R5 pickup; 1952 2R17A grain truck; 1952 Packard 200 4 door; 1955 E-38 grain truck; 1957 3E-40 flatbed; 1961 6E-28 grain truck; 1962 7E-13D 4x4 rack truck; 1962 7E-7 Champ pickup; 1962 GT Hawk 4 speed; 1963 8E-28 flatbed; 1964 Avanti R2 4 speed; 1964 Cruiser and various other "treasures".

Hiding and preserving Studebakers in Richmond & Louisa, Va.

Comment

I was told by a DMV employee(years ago) that is is illegal to remove a vin plate(rivets/welds) and sell it with a title, but you could sell the/a part of a car that contains the vin # (as it is then a car)and that was legal. He said the law is YOU CAN NOT REMOVE THE VIN NUMBER. With that said I believe as long as the car is in your name and legal, you can do what you feel comfortable with, with the understanding of the law. Keep in mind if you sell one and it is placed on a stolen car you may have some responsability. I removed mine to get the body dipped and I don't have any worry about placing it back on my car, but by the strickest of the law it could be considered illegal, go figure. Good Luck.

1956 Studebaker Pelham Wagon Houston, Texas
                    Remember, \"When all is said and done. More is always said then ever done.\"

Comment

I was told by a DMV employee(years ago) that is is illegal to remove a vin plate(rivets/welds) and sell it with a title, but you could sell the/a part of a car that contains the vin # (as it is then a car)and that was legal. He said the law is YOU CAN NOT REMOVE THE VIN NUMBER. With that said I believe as long as the car is in your name and legal, you can do what you feel comfortable with, with the understanding of the law. Keep in mind if you sell one and it is placed on a stolen car you may have some responsability. I removed mine to get the body dipped and I don't have any worry about placing it back on my car, but by the strickest of the law it could be considered illegal, go figure. Good Luck.

1956 Studebaker Pelham Wagon Houston, Texas
                      Remember, \"When all is said and done. More is always said then ever done.\"

Comment

I had a Pick-a-Part yard give me grief over taking the body tag off a Stude. Didn't matter that I could show them the serial# tag was still in place on the door jamb. To this fella I was stealing it's VIN plate![B)]

I can honestly say that in my 33 years of Studebakering, I've never swapped Serial# plates to "recreate" a Stude. I know folks that have, but I never did. And yet I COULD go along with doing such to bring a car back to life so long as it wasn't stolen.

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                        1960 Larkvertible V8
                        1958 Provincial wagon
                        1953 Commander coupe
                        1957 President 2-dr
                        1955 President State
                        1951 Champion Biz cpe
                        1963 Daytona project FS

Comment

I had a Pick-a-Part yard give me grief over taking the body tag off a Stude. Didn't matter that I could show them the serial# tag was still in place on the door jamb. To this fella I was stealing it's VIN plate![B)]

I can honestly say that in my 33 years of Studebakering, I've never swapped Serial# plates to "recreate" a Stude. I know folks that have, but I never did. And yet I COULD go along with doing such to bring a car back to life so long as it wasn't stolen.

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                          1960 Larkvertible V8
                          1958 Provincial wagon
                          1953 Commander coupe
                          1957 President 2-dr
                          1955 President State
                          1951 Champion Biz cpe
                          1963 Daytona project FS

Comment

Brad Johnson
                            I put a title and VIN plate off a '59 4WD truck on ebay. They cancelled it the next day and gave me a warning.

[img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/64%20Daytona%20Convertible/Copy%20of%20DaytonaConvert7-20-06.JPG[/img=right]

Paul Johnson
                            '53 Commander Starliner (since 1966)
                            '64 Daytona Wagonaire (original owner)
                            '64 Daytona Convertible (2006)
                            Museum R-4 engine
                            Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
                            '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Brad Johnson
                              I put a title and VIN plate off a '59 4WD truck on ebay. They cancelled it the next day and gave me a warning.

[img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/64%20Daytona%20Convertible/Copy%20of%20DaytonaConvert7-20-06.JPG[/img=right]

Paul Johnson
                              '53 Commander Starliner (since 1966)
                              '64 Daytona Wagonaire (original owner)
                              '64 Daytona Convertible (2006)
                              Museum R-4 engine
                              Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
                              '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Working...
                              X