Hesitation Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hesitation Problem

My 1964 Stude 289 with 4 bbl Carb. cuts in and out under load when starting out in first and second gears like the gas is being cut off and back on. I have to slip the clutch to get going. once in 3rd or 4th gear it will run smoothly. I had it up over 5000 rpm in 3rd gear and it was fine. I think it is a carb. problem but the carb. has been rebuilt and supposedly run tested on an engine. Without a load it will run up smoothly to over 5000 rpm The fuel pump is rebuilt and it appears to be getting plenty of gas. ( I have a clear filter just before the carb.)Also, all the ignition parts are new or rebuilt. It has points and a resistor, as stock. Any ideas? I hate to buy a new carb. unless I'm pretty sure that's the problem. It's a Carter Carb. Thanks in advance for any thoughts on this.

Check for loose wires. When the engine torques and twists on the mounts it may be pulling something to a point it disconnects for a second.

Make sure the condensor is tight in the distributor, re-check the point dwell.

Re check the timing.

I doubt it's the carb.

ErnieR

On its way to a 15.097 Spring 2006.

Comment

it's a carter carb?if it is check the accelarator pump adjustment. my carters had 5 adj. holes on the pump lever and you could bend the pumps rod if the other way dosenot work.i do not know if the edlebrock carb. has the same type of system.(have never owned one)

Comment

Working...
      X