3R6 transmission/od

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3R6 transmission/od

Can I install the transmission and overdrive from a 1954 commander car into my newly acquired 3R6? I have the ability to modify the driveshaft and transmission input shaft if required.

I believe the 3R6 Big 6 Commander "245" engines have the T-86 Trans. like the '54 Comm. just compare the raised model # markings on the passenger side of the two cases, except for Input shaft length, lower ratios in 1st & 2nd & minor governor speed settings they should be the same and may be almost a bolt-in, same length & driveline. Also both should be 6 Volt.

A match-up of part numbers in the Truck Parts Catalog and '51-'54 Car Chassis Parts Catalog would prove which parts interchange.

StudeRich
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

quote:Originally posted by StudeRich

I believe the 3R6 Big 6 Commander "245" engines have the T-86 Trans. like the '54 Comm. just compare the raised model # markings on the passenger side of the two cases, except for Input shaft length, lower ratios in 1st & 2nd & minor governor speed settings they should be the same and may be almost a bolt-in, same length & driveline. Also both should be 6 Volt.

A match-up of part numbers in the Truck Parts Catalog and '51-'54 Car Chassis Parts Catalog would prove which parts interchange.

StudeRich

Comment

quote:Originally posted by StudeRich

StudeRich
        Sorry for the double post. Still new to this forum. Thanks for the information. The truck transmission is identified as T-85E, I assume this is correct for the no-OD transmission and that T-86 is the number for the OD transmission. I hope to pick up the car transmission/OD this week. I'll post results. Thanks again.

Comment

quote:[i]Sorry for the double post. Still new to this forum. Thanks for the information. The truck transmission is identified as T-85E, I assume this is correct for the no-OD transmission and that T-86 is the number for the OD transmission. I hope to pick up the car transmission/OD this week. I'll post results. Thanks again.
          Hi John welcome to the SDC Forum, we would be glad to have you as a member if you are not. The sign-up info is at the top of these pages and has a first year discount.

The trashcan Icon when you go to your own posts, will delete them, the yellow pencil & page will Update them, you are doing fine learning! [^]

Also if you put your comments outside of the "quote [i]" end Quote symbols, it will be full size and more readable, also easier to tell who said it.

I think I may have confused you here, your truck is not correct for a 3R6 Big 6. You should have a completely different Bellhousing for the T85 if it is behind a V-8, and T85's or more correctly T-89's were only behind '57 & on V-8 Trucks! T85-T86 has nothing to do with O.D. or not. The O.D. unit is a Borg Warner R-10 on T86 light duty, and an R11 on T-85 & T89 H.D. Trans. and of course nothing interchanges between the two Trannies.

StudeRich
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Thanks for the mini tutorial on forum use StudeRich. I hope I can learn quickly and not commit too many breaches of etiquette--just smack my wrist if I do, I've got tough skin.

I've been in SDC since 1979 and have several Studes in various conditions, but this is my first (and long desired) truck.

I try to search diligently for answers before asking, but there is so much good info on this site that I may overlook something.

Thanks again for your understanding and help. I'll try to be a contributing member when I can and will post progress on the 3R6.

Got to learn how to post pictures!

Comment

Working...
            X