57 3E11 Clutch Adjustment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 57 3E11 Clutch Adjustment

I am in the midst of a move and 100 miles away from my shop manuals, thus the question. My truck has just developed a new problem at a bad time, (isn't that always the case). When you depress the clutch fully to the floorboard it still does not completely release the transmission, so when you start it with it in gear the truck moves just a little. After starting it is very difficult to change gears, especially into reverse, (I have to kill it, put it in reverse and start it in reverse). I am at the point of adjusting the clutch, it would appear that the nut and backup up nut are run all the way up the adjustment bolt. To properly adjust the clutch in this scenario, do you tighten or loosen the adjustment nut. Much appreciation for any help.
    Bill Elbert Steward
    Strawn Texas

Bill Elbert

57 3E11
    48 M16
    46 M15
    46 M5

Here is Daisy at work, could represent the clutch problems. I got her a few years ago from Rob in Wyoming, she's been a peach. Has the big 6 and HD 4 speed with HD clutch, (factory).

Bill Elbert

57 3E11
    48 M16
    46 M15
    46 M5

Comment

I think you lengthen the rod to make it release earlier,shorten it to make it catch earlier. That said if you are at the end of the adjustment it seems like you have another problem. Have someone work the clutch while you check everything for undue movement/slop. You should have about an inch of free travel at the pedal. Steve
      sigpic

Comment

Thanks for the advice, got under there and fixed it, had more thread left than I thought. Tightened it several turns and it is ALOT better. Also found while I was under there that one of the cab hold down bolts was loose, wondered why it made a racket when I went over the railroad tracks! Thanks Again.

Bill Elbert

57 3E11
        48 M16
        46 M15
        46 M5

Comment

Working...
        X