No announcement yet.

Avanti's,Rust,Hog troughs,Frames,Oh MY!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Avanti's,Rust,Hog troughs,Frames,Oh MY!

I was reading Craigslist for OKC,OK. And I saw a ad for a Avanti II
    with frame rust.Well, we all ,here, know about the evils of frame rust on Avanti's. A friend of mine in Edmond have once said he would like an Avanti. I thought an Avanti II might be more up his alley, so I wrote the guy about the frame rust. Heres the ad.

I asked where the frame rust was,and how rusty everything was, including the hog troughs. Are there any troughs left, and how are the uprights.And here is his answer.
    "yes the hog troughs are rust frame not to bad but if you have a clean frame i might keep the car ".
    The answer was a little vague. Then he wrote back again.
    "what do you think the car is worth"
    Well I have my idea and he probably has his. But from what I know, a frame on a Avanti is a deal killer. Or it justs makes it a parts car. But for the sake of argument, what would it be worth? I figured about 3K or 3.5K or so. Because of the heroics involved with an Avanti frame.What's the rest of the clubs guess?
    Malcom

quote:Originally posted by Samjoe

I was reading Craigslist for OKC,OK. And I saw a ad for a Avanti II
    with frame rust.Well, we all ,here, know about the evils of frame rust on Avanti's. A friend of mine in Edmond have once said he would like an Avanti. I thought an Avanti II might be more up his alley, so I wrote the guy about the frame rust. Heres the ad.

I asked where the frame rust was,and how rusty everything was, including the hog troughs. Are there any troughs left, and how are the uprights.And here is his answer.
    "yes the hog troughs are rust frame not to bad but if you have a clean frame i might keep the car ".
    The answer was a little vague. Then he wrote back again.
    "what do you think the car is worth"
    Well I have my idea and he probably has his. But from what I know, a frame on a Avanti is a deal killer. Or it justs makes it a parts car. But for the sake of argument, what would it be worth? I figured about 3K or 3.5K or so. Because of the heroics involved with an Avanti frame.What's the rest of the clubs guess?
    Malcom

2K for a frame, 1K for troughs 100 hours labor, maybe 7-9K if you farm it out, 3K if you DIY repair, so maybe 3K if you like punishment for the car.

JDP/Maryland
    JDP Maryland

Comment

Don't do it unless you lay eyes on it first!

Chris Pile
      Midway Chapter SDC
      The Studebaker Special
      The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

It also depends on what year Avanti you are referring to. Not all post- Studebaker Avantis are valued the same. Some are not worth as much finished as a frame swap will cost. Also, what body style is the Avanti - coupe, long coupe, four door, convertible? If it is 1987 and up, it is not even on a Studebaker frame. Of course, then it wouldn't have torque boxes (hog troughs).
        I can remember Studebaker Avantis in the 1970s that were on their third frame. That was in NY, not OK.

Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

A 1982 Avanti II in need of a new frame and hog troughs should be shot and parted out. There is nothing to see here, this is not the Avanti you are looking for.

Here's the deal, with the rarest of rare exceptions, a frame rotted Avanti also usually needs paint and a new interior.

So its not just the cost of the frame replacement that kills the car - its everything else. The last time I checked, even nice 1982 Avanti II's were not bringing the kind of money to justify this kind of restoration.

Thomas

Long time hot rodder
          Packrat junk collector
          '63 Avanti R2 4 speed

Comment

Working...
          X