PDA

View Full Version : PCV Valve Wanted

31Streetrod
05-31-2009, 12:02 PM
Need a PCV valve for a 64 R2. This is the valve that has a slip on hose end on both ends. Need a valve, source or p/n for a replacement if available. We flat out do not have the old one to clean out.
Thanks

Lost in the 50's

Tom B
05-31-2009, 12:29 PM
I found one that would work at Car Quest. Went thru the book 'til I found one that looked right.

[img=left]http://www.alink.com/personal/tbredehoft/Avatar1.jpg[/img=left]
Tom Bredehoft
'53 Commander Coupe (since 1959)
'55 President (6H Y6) State Sedan
(Under Construction 608 hrs.)
'05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
All Indiana built cars

Cravin
05-31-2009, 12:50 PM
I got one that works at Autozone, they have a good selection in blister packs to see what fits.

41 Frank
05-31-2009, 01:00 PM
Might want to keep in mind that we are talking R-2 here. The R-2 needs a special PCV valve that will not let the boost pressure blow back through the PCV valve and into the crankcase!!! Most willfit valves do not have this feature.

Frank van Doorn
1962 GT Hawk 4 speed
1963 Daytona Conv
1941 Champion R-2 Rod

Dan White
05-31-2009, 01:05 PM
Here is the NAPA number that I used when I got my last one:

CRB29267

Dan White
64 R1 GT
64 R2 GT

StudeRich
05-31-2009, 01:43 PM
The correct R1/R2 PCV valve that you seek is not a slip hose fitting on each end like a '63 Lark/Hawk, it is a 3/8" pipe thread male end into the lower center rear of the AFB, with the slip hose connection on the end to the oil pan breather pipe small fitting. This type of valve is a simple ball type check valve.

StudeRich

Thomas63R2
05-31-2009, 01:44 PM
My R2 has a brass PCV valve that screws into the base of the carb on the back side.

Thomas

Long time hot rodder
Packrat junk collector
'63 Avanti R2 4 speed

31Streetrod
05-31-2009, 02:18 PM
I was aware that the 64 took the screw in type but I assumed that it was unobtanable, so for the short haul, we decided to go with the 63 type until a 64 turns up. Anyone got a screw in 64 they would be willing to sell? Name your price.;)

Lost in the 50's

Lenny R2
05-31-2009, 08:15 PM
Check with Myers Studebaker he might have one 740 674 4897

Lenny
Atlanta Ga.

fmarshall
06-01-2009, 05:26 PM
quote:Originally posted by 41 Frank

Might want to keep in mind that we are talking R-2 here. The R-2 needs a special PCV valve that will not let the boost pressure blow back through the PCV valve and into the crankcase!!! Most willfit valves do not have this feature.

Frank van Doorn
1962 GT Hawk 4 speed
1963 Daytona Conv
1941 Champion R-2 Rod

What? Am I missing something here?

The PCV valve hose goes from the valve to the hose that is before the blower applies any force to the carb. And as such, I don't see how any pressure will get to that end of the valve.

The crankcase gets bleed through as the compressed, and burning gases, pass by the rings. And those vapors get through the PCV valve at idle, when vacuum exists, thereby opening the valve.

Any PCV valve of the correct dimensions (inlet & outlet) should work IMO.

========================
63 Avanti R2, 4-Speed, 3.73 TT
Martinez, CA
http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd211/fmarshall_bucket/sigpic.jpg

41 Frank
06-01-2009, 05:58 PM
I stand by my statement. All PCV valves will suck the crankcase fumes into the carb while the manifold is under vacuum, only the ones made to act as a sort of one way valve will seal when the manifold goes into positive pressure.

quote:Originally posted by fmarshall

Frank van Doorn
1962 GT Hawk 4 speed
1963 Daytona Conv
1941 Champion R-2 Rod

The PCV valve hose goes from the valve to the hose that is before the blower applies any force to the carb. And as such, I don't see how any pressure will get to that end of the valve.

The crankcase gets bleed through as the compressed, and burning gases, pass by the rings. And those vapors get through the PCV valve at idle, when vacuum exists, thereby opening the valve.

========================
Martinez, CA

fmarshall
06-01-2009, 06:38 PM

I stand by my statement. All PCV valves will suck the crankcase fumes into the carb while the manifold is under vacuum, only the ones made to act as a sort of one way valve will seal when the manifold goes into positive pressure.

quote:Originally posted by fmarshall

Frank van Doorn
1962 GT Hawk 4 speed
1963 Daytona Conv
1941 Champion R-2 Rod

========================
Martinez, CA

I agree with that statement, regarding suction. But the manifold pressure from an R2 is after the air increases in velocity from the blower. The PCV valve is not exposed to that pressure increase.

There will never be 5 pounds of boost at the air cleaner housing. There will be 5 pounds of boost at the carb.

And all PCV valves, to my knowledge, all act as a one-way check valve. They have a spring that has to be overcome by the vacuum.

========================
Martinez, CA

41 Frank
06-01-2009, 07:01 PM
The PCV does not go into the air filter housing, it goes in the back of the carburator base under the trottle plates. From there the hose it is attached to is routed to the tube that comes from the oil pan on an R1-R-2. The large hose coming off this tube indeed goes to the air cleaner housing but does not have a PCV valve.The PCV acts as an orifice that when under vacuum admits the crankcase fumes into the engine to be burned. The one I have laying in my shop that was on my R-2 when you suck on it will let some air come through however when blowing through it in the opposite direction will have no restriction, in other words mimicking positive manifold pressure. This is the best way I know of explaining it.:) Most PCV valves will rattle when you shake them a little,which pretty much rules out them having a spring in them.

Gunslinger
06-02-2009, 07:34 PM
If the PCV rattles when you shake it, it's still good. You can always spray it out with Gumout or similar cleaner to make it like new as well. There's rarely a need to change a PCV if it's kept clean like that.

Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.