This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• e-bayers, sheesh!!!!

I was just looking at a Lark e-bay ad and I don't think some people realize how badly they embarrass themselves! This guy took a comendable number of photos but several were so blurry I didn't know if it was the engine or some kind of tentacle laden sea monster flailing about under the hood. No doubt his rather copious description was written by Scrooge as evidenced by its notable absence of capital letters and frugal use of periods. However, the dearth of capitals was more than offset by the long, rambling, never ending sentences consisting of 73, 78, 98 and 117 words. This schmo must have slept through English class for the first 12 years of school after which he dropped out of the 3rd grade at the ripe old age of 18. Using big words doesn't mean your're an Einstein but at least people perceive you as being half way intelligent until you prove them wrong. Conversely, this guy would have to work very, very hard to prove he's not an complete, certified idiot. Like it or not, people judge you by the way you talk and write and before this guy sells anything else on e-bay, he better find a second grader to correct his grammatical errors.

John, you sound like my Mum. You're right though, long rambling sentences are confusing.

If anyone would like to see this masterpiece in embarrasment:

It's not really all that bad. They just don't have a very steady camera hand. He needs one of the new digital cameras. The kind that will steady the picture for you. It does take a bit of work to decipher the description though.

Lotsa Larks!
    K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
    Ron Smith
    Where the heck is Lewiston, CA?
    Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
    Ron Smith
    Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

John, you sound like my Mum. You're right though, long rambling sentences are confusing.

If anyone would like to see this masterpiece in embarrasment:

It's not really all that bad. They just don't have a very steady camera hand. He needs one of the new digital cameras. The kind that will steady the picture for you. It does take a bit of work to decipher the description though.

Lotsa Larks!
      Ron Smith
      Where the heck is Lewiston, CA?
      Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
      Ron Smith
      Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

According to the Merriam-Webster online dictionary comendable is actually spelled commendable.
        Mono mind in a stereo world

Comment

According to the Merriam-Webster online dictionary comendable is actually spelled commendable.
          Mono mind in a stereo world

Comment

Looks like a nice little Lark. Unless he has an unrealistic reserve, that's EXACTLY the kind of ad to buy from. Everybody else is skipping it because of his poor spelling, grammar, and pictures. I've met more honest folks selling cars that couldn't spell worth a hoot than ones that had perfect grammar (and nice white belts and shoes too )

Dick Steinkamp
            Bellingham, WA
            Dick Steinkamp
            Bellingham, WA

Comment

Looks like a nice little Lark. Unless he has an unrealistic reserve, that's EXACTLY the kind of ad to buy from. Everybody else is skipping it because of his poor spelling, grammar, and pictures. I've met more honest folks selling cars that couldn't spell worth a hoot than ones that had perfect grammar (and nice white belts and shoes too )

Dick Steinkamp
              Bellingham, WA
              Dick Steinkamp
              Bellingham, WA

Comment

Wow!
                Are you guys interested in buying a car, seeing what yours is worth or just don't have a life? Lighten up! If you want to grade papers volunteer at your local school.

Comment

Wow!
                  Are you guys interested in buying a car, seeing what yours is worth or just don't have a life? Lighten up! If you want to grade papers volunteer at your local school.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by mdelapp

Wow!
                    I think their point is valid, especially the photography issue. People won't buy what they can't see.
                    As far as the writing is concerned, people will feel better about buying something if you seem to know what you're talking about. Proper language use helps with that. We all do typos or misspellings, (I don't expect the seller to have a lit degree from an Ivy League school) but bad grammer and 100 word sentences won't help you communicate with your intended audience.

If the seller looks like he can't write, aren't you a bit concerned that he may not be able to read assembly instructions or shop manuals?

63 Avanti R1 2788
                    1914 Stutz Bearcat
                    (George Barris replica)

Washington State
                    63 Avanti R1 2788
                    1914 Stutz Bearcat
                    (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

quote:Originally posted by mdelapp

Wow!
                      I think their point is valid, especially the photography issue. People won't buy what they can't see.
                      As far as the writing is concerned, people will feel better about buying something if you seem to know what you're talking about. Proper language use helps with that. We all do typos or misspellings, (I don't expect the seller to have a lit degree from an Ivy League school) but bad grammer and 100 word sentences won't help you communicate with your intended audience.

If the seller looks like he can't write, aren't you a bit concerned that he may not be able to read assembly instructions or shop manuals?

63 Avanti R1 2788
                      1914 Stutz Bearcat
                      (George Barris replica)

Washington State
                      63 Avanti R1 2788
                      1914 Stutz Bearcat
                      (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

I'm with Dick on this one. Sounds like an honest description, as far as one can tell from the pics. His starting bid makes it look like he doesn't want the earth, moon, and stars for this car, either.

Could be a real opportunity for a Lark lover.

If the seller were looking for top dollar, I'd be more critical of the presentation.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

I'm with Dick on this one. Sounds like an honest description, as far as one can tell from the pics. His starting bid makes it look like he doesn't want the earth, moon, and stars for this car, either.

Could be a real opportunity for a Lark lover.

If the seller were looking for top dollar, I'd be more critical of the presentation.

Comment

After all that, he seems to be another unrealistic Stude seller; his payment instructions require a $500 deposit [:0]

Other thing is, I don't feel it's ever a good sales technique to be snotty with potential customers (I will not take personal checks, so dont ask)[}]

Robert K. Andrews Owner- IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
                            Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

After all that, he seems to be another unrealistic Stude seller; his payment instructions require a $500 deposit [:0]

Other thing is, I don't feel it's ever a good sales technique to be snotty with potential customers (I will not take personal checks, so dont ask)[}]

Robert K. Andrews Owner- IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
                              Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

Working...
                              X