Tire Size??? and OE rims

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tire Size??? and OE rims

1. The Manual says that the 1950 Champion came out with tires 6:40 X 15. How much different is a 6:70 from a 6:40?

2.When radials first came out and people started putting them on the rims of their older cars I never heard of any problems. However, on this forum there seems to be constant warnings about putting radials on my wheels. Has anyone actually experienced a problem or is it just an old wives' tale?

Jimmie
    Orleans, Indiana

1950 CHAMPION -ORANGE COUNTY, INDIANA
    sigpicJimmie
    Orange County, Indiana
    1950 CHAMPION -ORANGE COUNTY, INDIANA

.3 inch, barely enough to see.

Comment

Modern radials tend to be wider then the old bias ply tires. Also some older rims develope stress or fatigue cracks near the bolt holes or near the bead seat.

To avoid problems:

1. Check your wheels for cracks. Measure your wheels INSIDE the bead seats. Don't reuse a cracked wheel.

2. Radial or Bias, make sure your tires aren't too wide! 6.70x15 is often replaced by the slightly wider 205/75R15. If your rims are 5 inches wide this is fine, but the 205 series radial is TOO WIDE for a 4.5 rim! A better choice would be a 185/80R15, very close to the 6.40x15 tires that were original. Diamond Back offers them. I'll be ordering a set with 1.5 inch whitewalls for my '64 Cruiser daily driver.

A. Charles Eck, Jr.
      Essex, MD

'57 Commander 4 door sedan
      '64 Cruiser
      '66 Ford F-250
      '66 Ford F-100
      '53 John Deere 50
      '41 John Deere H All-Fuel
      '41 John Deere B All-Fuel

Studebakers were made to drive! (Besides, they don't get lost as easy in the Wal-Mart parking lot!)

Comment

Working...
      X