Cruiser progress

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cruiser progress

The '63 Cruiser's progressing nicely. All the sheet metal boo-boos have been addressed and only the reinstallation of the doors, decklid and hood stand in the way of the block sanding, prep and painting.

We removed all the doors to facilitate painting the jambs and installing new weatherstripping. That's now done and the doors 'n all go back on tomorrow.

I'd ordered a new front panel from SASCO and that order somehow got eaten by their computer, so it's arrival is key to getting the car in the paint booth next saturday. We'll see, I guess.

My hat's off to member prager for helping me secure some badly needed (desired?) NOS trim for this project. The guy really went the extra mile for me and I sincerely appreciate it.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1963 Cruiser
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe
    1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Wow does that look good. Congratulations Mr Biggs.

Mabel 1949 Champion
    Hawk 1957 Silverhawk
    Gus 1958 Transtar
    The Prez 1955 President State
    Blu 1957 Golden Hawk
    Daisy 1954 Commander Regal Coupe
    Fresno,Ca
    Mabel 1949 Champion
    Hawk 1957 Silverhawk
    Gus 1958 Transtar
    The Prez 1955 President State
    Blu 1957 Golden Hawk
    Daisy 1954 Regal Commander Starlight Coupe
    Fresno,Ca

Comment

Beautiful color []

1st class job [8D]

That cruiser will be a head turner. [^]

Dick Steinkamp
      Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
      Bellingham, WA

Comment

Lookin' goood![8D] One of my favorite colours too. []

<h5>Mark
        '57 Transtar Deluxe
        Vancouver Island Chapter
        http://sdcvi.shawwebspace.ca/ </h5>

Mark Hayden
        '66 Commander

Comment

Looking good Bob. Better throw an old towel over your battery so Bob Palma does not spot the holddown deficiency.

Frank van Doorn
          1962 GT Hawk 4 speed
          1963 Daytona Conv
          1941 Champion R-2 Rod
          Frank van Doorn
          Omaha, Ne.
          1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
          1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
          1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

Cool!

Dylan Wills

'61 lark deluxe 4 door wagon
            Dylan Wills
            Everett, Wa.

1961 Lark 4 door wagon
            1961 Lark 4 door wagon #2 (Wife's car!)
            1955 VW Beetle (Went to the dark side)
            1914 Ford Model T

Comment

Excellent work Bob, I envy your left coast weather...

Bob Johnstone

64 GT Hawk
              55 President State Sedan
              70 Avanti (R3)
              64 GT Hawk (K7)
              1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

Frank, you beat me to it! I was going to ask about the color of it after the blast & prime. Really nice, Bob. That's going to look great. I'm 5 hours away from Sasco and plan on a run back there with the Tahoe soon, so if you ever need an extra searcher for something, let me know. If StudeRich hasn't received his '64 lower passenger seat cover yet, I will make that a mission, too. I ran out of time before the concours, but I'm usually luckier than that. ChampTrucking knows. We spent a few mildew moments together searching the few racks that were brought down.
                Good luck on the paint date.

Comment

Speaking of the weather here....

Last evening I was outside admiring the paint and how nice the new weatherstrip fits. It had been a hot day (98) and thunderheads had been billowing to the east - over the Sierra Nevadas. As afternoon progressed to evening, the clouds grew to where they were over our area and there was quite a show of heat lightning going on in all directions. Just a sparse few raindrops hit my cheek now and then.

I got the wife to come out and watch the show while winds picked up almost instantly. The doors and decklid were sitting on the tables as in the photos above. I flipped them over as leaves and twigs were starting to accumulate in them. Within a minute, the winds went from really pushy gusts to romp-stompin' gale! The wife worried aloud about our huge garden out back and the sun-screen arrangements we have over about 9 rows of plants. These screens are 75' long and held up on T-poles made of EMT conduit. I went to have a look while she secured some things that were getting blown about in the back yard.

When I got out to the garden, the winds made me think we were going to see a tornado or some such (Indeed, on the news there were reports of such in our area - a rarity here). It was dark by now and with the half-downed screens flapping wildly I couldn't make sense of what was what. I ran to the house and summoned the wife while grabbing the rechargable flashlight. As we pranced over falling limbs and approached the garden, we could see the poles being bent to the ground by the ferocious gales!
                  The winds were whipping sand and dust in our eyes as we fought to liberate the remaining poles from the PVC retainers I have - drilled into the ground. What worried me even more was that our neighbor has some huge sheet metal sheds stored right next to the fence and these were directly upwind of where we were working so frantically. I could hear them banging against the fence. If they'd gotten tossed over, they'd have come tearing straight at us.
                  Winds howling, stuff flipping by in the darkness - we made a dash for the house once we'd laid down all the screens and poles. As we crossed the back yard, I could see that the Cruiser was full of branches and twigs, but nothing big enough to have done damage.
                  The yard tho - good god what a mess! I've filled my Champ bed utility trailer with limbs and debris and it's gonna take several trips to get rid of it all. We see a wind event like this maybe once every 4 or 5 years here. If Ma Nature's reading this, Hon, we're good for another 5 years now - thanks![xx(]

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                  1963 Cruiser
                  1960 Larkvertible V8
                  1958 Provincial wagon
                  1953 Commander coupe
                  1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Biggs, is the color blue mist metallic? Lookin' good. jimmijim
                    sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

Yup! Blue Mist it is.[^]

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                      1963 Cruiser
                      1960 Larkvertible V8
                      1958 Provincial wagon
                      1953 Commander coupe
                      1957 President two door

Comment

That is a gorgeous shade, Bob! I love seeing how this project is coming together.

[img=left]http://members.cox.net/clarknovak/lark.gif[/img=left]

Clark in San Diego
                        '63 F2/Lark Standard

The Official Website of the San Diego Chapter of the Studebaker Drivers Club. Serving San Diego County

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Mr.Biggs

Yup! Blue Mist it is.[^]

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                          1963 Cruiser
                          1960 Larkvertible V8
                          1958 Provincial wagon
                          1953 Commander coupe
                          1957 President two door

My 63 Hawk is also Blue mist. jimmijim
                          sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

Hey...
                            Lookin' good!
                            Whirling dervish of misinformation.

Comment

Couple more pics. Of course, the underside of the hood never looked like this from the factory! I've got an NOS fibreglass insulator I picked up at SASCO in '07. It's gonna look better glued to a nice, shiny underside.[8D]

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                              1963 Cruiser
                              1960 Larkvertible V8
                              1958 Provincial wagon
                              1953 Commander coupe
                              1957 President two door

Comment

Working...
                              X