Buy the Blacksmith Shop location!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buy the Blacksmith Shop location!

From TW: The site of the original Studebaker blacksmith shop in Ashland is for sale. This is the property where the stone/plaque monument is. 1 1/2 acres, 4 bedroom house, $142,900, and seller may be flexible on terms!

How cool would it be to own and live on that historic (at least to Stude lovers) site?[8D] Just the ticket for the Stude retiree...

Have a look:

Robert (Bob) Andrews- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys)
    Parish, central NY 13131

OK Bob, inquiring and curious Stude. minds want to know: how in the heck did you ever know about the Studebaker connection, or EVEN FIND that place? [?]

I read the whole ad, saw the video and never saw or heard a word about it anywhere, am I going blind and deaf or did you Goggle Earth street view the place or call the Realtor to learn that? [:0]

I think that is awesome, and a nice house at a good price, property must be pretty reasonable in the area, but then I am used to West Coast prices which in most cases are way higher than many parts of the Country.

Edit: OK, I guess the operative LETTERS must be:
    From TW:
    That must NOT have sunk in the old noggin, since I have not read the story I had no clue! [xx(] It is interesting though, that they never mentioned it, maybe they think there is no one left alive that cares! Lol!

StudeRich at Studebakers Northwest -Ferndale,WA
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

You figured it out, Rich, no way I'd have known if I hadn't read it in TW.

As a home it's really not a bad deal; but possibly a little high, depending. If it's been on the market very long one might be able to get it 5-10K cheaper.

I just thought it would be pretty neat to own... of course I'd have to construct a replica of the shop as authentically as possible... not practical, but it would be fun to do[8D]

I do find it interesting that the owners thought to figure out the e-mail for the SNM and send the info (which was then passed on to TW) but didn't tell their realtor![B)] I can't imagine any realtor worth their salt would leave out something like that- it's an interesting selling point, even if one is not interested in Studes or history. If it was my property I'd be thinking of every place/angle to promote this fact.

Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

If it was in TW then obviously the location has been documented by the Studebaker museum or archives?
        Or should one not assume so?

[img=left]http://farm1.static.flickr.com/158/360197307_8639ee4a46_m.jpg[/img=left]
        ~Nitram~
        57 Transtar

Comment

Bob, the realtor may have left it out on purpose knowing countless strangers will be making pilgrimages to the property for pictures constantly. It might even be considered disclosure. To us, it's cool as heck, but maybe not to someone desiring privacy. I'd have an hour and a half commute to work or I'd be there!

Comment

I don't think so, Dave. I believe there was a tour to the location from Lancaster to re-dedicate the site, for one thing. So, it's not like it was being kept secret. Plus, the owners of the property are the ones that contacted the SNM looking for the best way to get the word out about it. On top of which, I'm betting very few people in general have any interest whatsoever in the site's history.

I wonder- if a non-Stude fan buys it, will they allow visitors? No way to tell... so an SDC member needs to put in an offer!

Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

Really now guys if you would read your Turning Wheels you would know all about this. The Almanac for March 2008 related in a rather comprehensive manner (four pages), the story of the Studebaker's ownership of this property and how it came about. It also contains some nice photos and mentions the current owners and their interest in preserving the history of the property. I am sure the author of the Almanac would be disappointed if he was aware you were not reading his stuff! In fact I understand that he has decided to retire from the column (after 25 years) in protest!

Richard Quinn
              editor: Antique Studebaker Review
              Richard Quinn
              Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

quote:tour to the location from Lancaster
                Bob, this is the property in Ashland, Ohio where John moved the family from Adams County, PA. This would be the location of his second shop.

As for Mr. Quinn's decision to cease his regular column in protest, I don't blame him, not one iota.[)] Glad to hear you'll still be contributing at your leisure, Richard.

I understand you will also be relinquishing the title of Antique Studebaker Review Editor?[V]
                I suppose I should be thankful you waited until I had received thirty-five years of your thoughtful expertise. There aren't words to express how much I have appreciated what you've done for both of our clubs. I know you won't rest on your laurels but certainly hope you will enjoy your new found time.

THANK YOU!

Brad Johnson
                Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight
                Brad Johnson,
                SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

It took me a couple decades to move away from there!
                  Nobody here tell my family it's available...I'm not moving back no matter what! [)]

Richard, my family LOVED your article on the Ashland site. Will you continue if we take up a collection for typewriter ribbons?

Andy
                  62 GT

Andy
                  62 GT

Comment

quote:Originally posted by rockne10

Bob, this is the property in Ashland, Ohio where John moved the family from Adams County, PA. This would be the location of his second shop.
                    Noted. Interesting that neither the property owners (in TW) nor the realtor (in their listing) ever noted the state[)]

Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

I loved it, too. Great local history. If you remember, Richard, I asked about the Almanac's "Ashland part 2" early and got a sneak peak. It's been an honor reading every one. [^]

Bob, I don't have any doubt about the current owners' love for the property's history and their motives for contacting the SDC. As I said, the realtor may have other ideas about the advertising attributes of the property. Maybe it was just a lazy ad, too!

Comment

Originally posted by bams50

I don't think so, Dave. I believe there was a tour to the location from Lancaster to re-dedicate the site, for one thing. So, it's not like it was being kept secret.

That would be about a 16 hour tour, there and back, btw! That's too much time away from the swap meet for me.

Comment

Got it. But didn't they do a trip to the first site from Lancaster?

Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

The Site in Adams County was originally dedicated as part of the 1980 Gettysburg SDC Meet.

During the Lancaster Meet in 2008 a rededication ceremony was held. Mr. Quinn's presentation at that ceremony related the rather unillustrious achievments of John Clement Studebaker, the overly illustrious achievements of his progeny and the observation that the following generation disappeared from the radar; quite the contrasts.
                            Brad Johnson,
                            SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                            Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                            '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                            '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Cathy and I looked at that listing for the Ashland house. Something like that would go for four times that much in this area. Compared with other listings in that area, the price seemed middle of the road. In the end, we decided that if we were to leave this area, it wouldn't be to Ohio, even though I have more relatives there than in any other state.

Gary L.
                              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                              Studebaker enthusiast much longer
                              Gary L.
                              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Working...
                              X