Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can I remove scratches from window glass?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I remove scratches from window glass?

Well, I decided to remove the "For Sale" signs from the rear side windows of my '50 Champion tonight. Some of the clear tape stuck to the glass so I scrubbed it with the abrasive side of a sponge and rubbed so hard that it scratched the 59 year old glass. Is there some way I can remove the scratches and restore the window to its original condition? Thanks in advance for any suggestions....

1950 Champion 2 Dr. Sedan

1949 Studebaker 2R5 half ton pickup...

There have been a number of threads about this in the past but, for the life of me, I can't seem to find the right "SEARCH" terms.

Products recommended range from toothpaste(specific brands, no less), Bon-Ami and kits specific to the purpose from suppliers like Eastwood.

One common consensus was, if you can feel it with your fingernail, forget it.

Next time, use a fresh razor blade and OOOO steel wool.
    Brad Johnson,
    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

you need a can of window cleaner and a razor blade.amounia works the best if you can stan the smell.but the razor blade will not scratch the window glass does a super job at cleaning the glass will remove all the scumb the glass wil look like new good luck

they make a razon blade tool you can buy for under $10. at any good autoparts store

Comment

I've used the products Eastwood sells with some success...

Dick Steinkamp
        Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
        Bellingham, WA

Comment

I used a razor blade but when the temperature is in the 80s the tape doesn't come off cleanly like it would if it was in the 20s. Thanks for the suggestions....

Comment

50CHAMP: For your future reference (and for others), A GREAT product is 'Goo Gone'. It removes stickers, gummy 'stuff' and crayon marks among other things. It's a liquid and does an amazing job with 'gummy stuff'. Not epensive either.
            toyman

Comment

I had some of that stuff but I used it up a few months ago. I obviously should have used that but I never thought I would scratch the glass. I went over it this afternoon with some McGuire's glass cleaner that I got in a goody bag at a car show but it didn't help much if at all. There are no grooves in the glass from the scratches but it looks like there may have been a light tinting on the window. Were tinted windows an option back then?

Comment

Griot's Garage makes two different glass polishes that can be used by hand or by using a random orbital (the best way). They are great at removing scratches if they're not too deep.

Another, less expensive thing to try, and may well work depending on how bad the scratch is, try the glass top range cleaner you buy at the grocery store. Cheap, and does a great job of cleaning the glass and leaves a coating behind that repels moisture. It may well help with light scratches as well. I've used it and while not as good as a dedicated glass polish like Griot's, it may do well for you.

Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.
                Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

Dick, I don't have a pass word.

Comment

Not to be pessimistic but I once used a scotch brite pad to remove some paint overspray. Arss hole me. Said goodbye to both paint and glass. Those scratches were there to stay. No rubbing with buffing compounds was going to remove the scratches. jimmijim
                    sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

quote:Originally posted by toyman

50CHAMP: For your future reference (and for others), A GREAT product is 'Goo Gone'. It removes stickers, gummy 'stuff' and crayon marks among other things. It's a liquid and does an amazing job with 'gummy stuff'. Not epensive either.
                      toyman
                      Goo Gone is great stuff..also WD40 will work, I needed it last week to get chewing gum off one of my car seats...and door handle...and console...
                      Don't ask.

63 Avanti R1 2788
                      1914 Stutz Bearcat
                      (George Barris replica)

Washington State
                      63 Avanti R1 2788
                      1914 Stutz Bearcat
                      (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

Try here...

BRAD

Comment

Originally posted by jimmijim8 View Post
                          Not to be pessimistic but I once used a scotch brite pad to remove some paint overspray. Arss hole me. Said goodbye to both paint and glass. Those scratches were there to stay. No rubbing with buffing compounds was going to remove the scratches. jimmijim
                          Sorry to dig up the old thread, but I was a bit surprised reading through this that a scotchbrite pad would scratch glass, whereas a steel wool pad would not. I know I've used different grades of steel wool pads to clean up old glass in the past.
                          sigpic

1950 Commander Starlight Coupe
                          Regal Deluxe Trim
                          Automatic transmission
                          46k original miles, 4th Owner

Comment

Scotchbrite is composed of fibers coated with aggressive abrasives, steel wool is simply steel fibers, glass is harder than steel. I always use a razor blade to remove tape or adhesive from glass, it's worked fine for me. Brass wool works too, and is softer than steel wool. You can try something like cerium oxide to remove scratches but it will take a lot of effort. Cerium oxide is used to polish gemstones and you can find it at lapidary supply stores or ebay. Also works great for water spots and very fine scratches on car windows.

Comment

I use 0000 grade steel wool. Cerium oxide (Rare Earth) is great, but expensive. A-MAZ is a great product, and much cheaper than cerium oxide. When it first came out we were told it was made from rice hulls. Don't know it that is still true, but I know it works great.

A-MAZ cleaning products - Water Stain Remove and Ultra Gloss Sealant
                              KURTRUK
                              (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

Working...
                              X