PDA

View Full Version : studebaker/volvo engine



basicpower
12-25-2006, 05:12 PM
from somewhere i heard that volvo sold the v8 projekt they
developed in the 50,s to studebaker. Can it be anything thrue in that
the engine was a 120 hp engine @ 4000 rpm it was ment to be the
engine to a car named philip but went into the light truck program they had in the early sixties, or perhaps it was vice versa, volvo
bought the idea from studebaker.
anyone that know anything?

DEEPNHOCK
12-25-2006, 05:50 PM
Never heard of that...
Heard of the Porsche connection, the Mercedes connection, but not the Volvo connection...
Love to hear more....
Jeff[8D]


quote:Originally posted by basicpower

from somewhere i heard that volvo sold the v8 projekt they
developed in the 50,s to studebaker. Can it be anything thrue in that
the engine was a 120 hp engine @ 4000 rpm it was ment to be the
engine to a car named philip but went into the light truck program they had in the early sixties, or perhaps it was vice versa, volvo
bought the idea from studebaker.
anyone that know anything?


http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j54/deepnhock/Jeff%20Rice%20Studebaker%20Pictures/1937StudebakerCoupeExpressJeffRicee.jpg

DEEPNHOCK at Gmail.com
Brooklet, Georgia
'37 Coupe Express (never ending project)
'37 Coupe Express Trailer (project)
'61 Hawk (project)
http://community.webshots.com/user/deepnhock

gordr
12-26-2006, 02:55 AM
quote:Originally posted by basicpower

from somewhere i heard that volvo sold the v8 projekt they
developed in the 50,s to studebaker. Can it be anything thrue in that
the engine was a 120 hp engine @ 4000 rpm it was ment to be the
engine to a car named philip but went into the light truck program they had in the early sixties, or perhaps it was vice versa, volvo
bought the idea from studebaker.
anyone that know anything?


I seem to remember reading an SAE paper by Harold Churchill, I think, on the development of the Studebaker V8, and there was no mention made of any connection to Volvo, which was practically unheard of in North America in 1949. The Studebaker V8 bears some resemblance to the early Olds and Caddy OHV V8s, not because they "copied" anyone, but because they were all products of contemporary American engineering thought.

I doubt that Volvo, if they were working on a V8, would have designed anything as physically large as the Stude V8, because their cars were lighter and narrower.

Maybe one of our European gearhead members can shed some more light on this.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Dan White
12-26-2006, 08:18 AM
Just a note, SAE paper was by Gene Hardig, Studebaker Chief Engineer.

Dan White
64 R1 GT
64 R2 GT

Spule 4
12-26-2006, 02:23 PM
Been a lurker here for a while, so I fiugued I would post to this...

I remember seeing some tie between Kaiser and Volvo, this is from my past interest in Volvo cars and a friend's in Kaiser. Google turned this up, with mention of a V8:

http://www.volvoclub.org.uk/never_seen.shtml

http://cvolvo.com/Central/Volvo-Museum/Prototypes.html

Now to say what happened to the design after this, I do not know.

Garrett

DEEPNHOCK
12-26-2006, 02:38 PM
I like their choice in wheelcovers on the 'Philip' prototype.;)
Jeff[8D]
http://www.volvoclub.org.uk/graphics/philhub.jpg
http://cvolvo.com/Central/Volvo-Museum/Prototypes/Image11.jpg
http://cvolvo.com/Central/Volvo-Museum/Prototypes/Image12.jpg

quote:Originally posted by Spule 4

Been a lurker here for a while, so I fiugued I would post to this...

I remember seeing some tie between Kaiser and Volvo, this is from my past interest in Volvo cars and a friend's in Kaiser. Google turned this up, with mention of a V8:

http://www.volvoclub.org.uk/never_seen.shtml

http://cvolvo.com/Central/Volvo-Museum/Prototypes.html

Now to say what happened to the design after this, I do not know.

Garrett


http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j54/deepnhock/Jeff%20Rice%20Studebaker%20Pictures/1937StudebakerCoupeExpressJeffRicee.jpg

DEEPNHOCK at Gmail.com
Brooklet, Georgia
'37 Coupe Express (never ending project)
'37 Coupe Express Trailer (project)
'61 Hawk (project)
http://community.webshots.com/user/deepnhock

CHAMP
12-26-2006, 02:41 PM
Very intreresting Spule 4, My dad was a Kaiser man back in the fifties. Welcome to the forum!:)

GARY H 2DR.SEDAN 48 STUDEBAKER CHAMPION NORTHEAST MD.

Spule 4
12-26-2006, 02:47 PM
quote:Originally posted by CHAMP

Very intreresting Spule 4, My dad was a Kaiser man back in the fifties. Welcome to the forum!:)

GARY H 2DR.SEDAN 48 STUDEBAKER CHAMPION NORTHEAST MD.


Actually, in the early 1990s, I almost traded a 1966 Volvo 122S for a Kaiser. Kaisers were neat cars.

Thanks for the welcome!

Garrett