Open letter to car show judges

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Open letter to car show judges

First I would like to thank you for your service and dedication. There are probably many reasons why a person volunteers to be a car show judge: to be involved in club activities, a desire to learn more about other models, maybe you want to see what it is like on the other side of the fence, or just because you love cars.

I am okay with scores fluctuating year to year as judges change, and the unequal knowledge between different judges - this is all supposed to be a fun hobby right?

I do have a request: that the reason/comments section actually have some notes. I use the judges comments to consider what I will work on improving for the next show. I like the feedback that comments provide. I'll still enjoy my car no matter what, but it is nice to get a window into how other people see my car.

At today's show when I got my judging sheet back there was not one single reason/comment given for the deductions. I thought that was odd so I brought it to one of the show officials attention. I made it clear that I was not looking to debate a judges score, that I was happy with my car's points score, just that I wanted them to know how much the reasons are valued for the direction they provide. He said that they do ask judges to give reasons and he would make sure to mention this at their next meeting. That was a fair response because I only wanted them to know that the reason comments are very useful to help the car owners improve their car. In response to my comment that the lack of reason comments was not helpful another judge walking by told me that I should just throw the judging sheet away.

I'll be back for more shows, I just want the judges out there to know that your reason comments are as appreciated as your service to the show event.

Thomas

Long time hot rodder
    Packrat junk collector
    '63 Avanti R2 4 speed

What division were you in? Stock versions are supposed to get an explanation and/or questions of authenticity when deducting points, IIRC. The scribes are not always good at being legible in those little lines and good explanations often are overlooked, it seems. It is a lot of work, though. It is really nice to know what they saw to deduct points, however. One judge's picky deduction is another's no big deal, so maybe they don't want to be questioned later. I've experienced incorrect deductions and passed over for deserving deductions. It seems to balance out, but I would appreciate more thorough judging sheet info, too. I've over tipped restaurant servers for less effort.

Comment

Deduction explanations would also help to alleviate any suspicion of bias.

Comment

I was at a show Saturday where the judges gave the trophies to their AACA buddies. No judging sheets were given, some were hoods and trunks open, others were not. There were trophies for best ford, best Chevy, best mopar. Classes were ambiguous, sound system was lousy and presentations were awkward. Music was good, food was good, and I really had a good time. However, next year I will fore-go the event in favor of other local cruise-in where there is no charge for registering. Why should anyone pay for an event where the outcome is a foregone conclusion?

John Clary
        Greer, SC

I have only two limitations ...BRAINS & ENERGY
        SDC member since 1975
        John Clary
        Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

What show was this. All SDC judging is should to have a explaination
          for any deductions.AOAI will be adopting the same judging standard shortly.Know what your talking though. Using the judes comment to improve for next time.It is nice to see your car through someone elses eyes. They see things you don't.

Comment

I appreciate that judging is a thankless task, but a wise old judge in a murder trial once gave me a couple of pieces of insight:

1. "Most of what we judges do is psychological" - at that time I wanted to strangle him.

2. "It's far easier to be appealed if you give written reasons." -at that point I lost a little respect for judges.

3. "When conflict erupts, the judge is the first one out of the courtroom" - at that point, I no longer wanted to be a judge.

I appreciate anyone willing to be a volunteer judge at an SDC event. It's real judges I have a problem with, and I'm not allowed to say this.
            Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

Here's the judging manual...

Every point deduction must have a comment written."

Judging is a thankless task. It's easy to make enemies as a judge. Tough to make friends. It's a long tough day as a judge. You truly give up probably the best day of a meet. While everybody else is having fun, looking at the cars, talking to friends...the judges are not. Judge turnover is huge. If a member does it once, chances are they won't do it again. My guess is that not all (maybe most?) judges have not read the judging manual. Orientation and training prior to judging is minimal (if any) due to the lack of volunteers prior to a meet (they are often "collared" the morning of the concourse).

It's real easy to throw rocks at the judges and the judging process. For those of you that have your cars judged and ARE NOT involved in the process, GET INVOLVED. At a minimum, be a judge at the next Zone Meet or International. Study the manual and the judging forms. Help the Chief Judge improve the process and educate future judges. It's really up to YOU to make judging work...not somebody else.

Dick Steinkamp
              Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
              Bellingham, WA

Comment

I agree with Dick (he makes more sense than the judges I have to deal with)
                Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

Having judged at National and Zone meets it is as Dick says and I think every one in SDC knows this, as it has been talked about many times, the area on a judging sheet is small area for comments but we are always told to put then down because it is important that's way we now at nationals have a scribe that does only that and the 4 judges do only judging but still it can be a hassle for the scribe to get every thing down and ready to move on to the next car, in Omaha I judged larks we were on the field from 9:00am until 6m there were that many cars and all nice ones so come the end of the day don't start bickering about your car or what should have or should have not, I don't don't put cars for judging anymore because people doing judging are only volunteers and in my eyes volunteers don't make mistakes they do the best they can and that is the difference, it has been that way with me ever since I have had anything to do with people that volunteer way back in little league for the kids, so if your car is judged plan on anything and accept it but remarks should and will be there in SDC judging...Bob

Bob Peterson / C & B Studebakers

Castro Valley, CA

Candbstudebakers
                  Castro Valley,
                  California

Comment

Judging is a thankless job that usually takes up the entire day at the show. While none of my cars are worthy of being judged, I've been a judge at several shows, even Chief Judge once. And I'd be more than happy to do it again.

Don't like how the judges perform? Give it a try yourself. It ain't easy. But it IS a great way to learn more about these cars. One time I judged alongside Rene Harger. I learned more about Studebaker interiors that day than I can remember. [^]

A tip for future judges: The "drive-thru" system is the ticket. Anyone who wants to know more about that can email me.

Matthew Burnette
                    Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

Stock class, Studebaker show. I do appreciate the judges work, and I am happy with the judges decision - I really enjoyed the show. I am not looking for a book report on my car, but there must have been something that jumped out at each of the judges that could be said in one or two words - which I would find helpful.

I too would encourage others to be a car show judge, its not always easy for event organizers to get enough judges. In two weeks it will be my turn to be a car show judge. I'll have one of my other cars at the show, for display only while I judge the other cars.

Thomas

Long time hot rodder
                      Packrat junk collector
                      '63 Avanti R2 4 speed

Comment

You don't need no steenking judge to tell you how to have a 400 point car. You need to walk around during the shows and look at better examples of workmanship than your own. Some one always will trump you no matter what. Enjoy your car and forget about who is collecting those cheap trophys. Lots of times they are or are not a true indication of merit. I know a guy who gets trophys at the same shows every year consistently. His car doesn't really change but the judges want to gain his favor because they would like him to perform a certain service to their car and he only has time for the gift givers. jimmijim
                        sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

quote:Originally posted by barnlark
                          [I would appreciate more thorough judging sheet info, too. I've over tipped restaurant servers for less effort.
                          And how much have you tipped judges for all of their work? <G>

Gary L.
                          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                          Studebaker enthusiast much longer
                          Gary L.
                          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Judges at a large meet only have a short amount of time to evaluate any one vehicle. If you want to know where you will lose points and what you should improve, get someone that is knowledgeable about judging in general and your make and model in particular. Ask them to spend some time going over your vehicle. Accept the input and do not be argumentative. I have provided this service many times.

Gary L.
                            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                            Gary L.
                            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

We all know Studebaker didn't stick to a single formula for putting together a car, particularly in the special orders department. I also know judges may have a search image of standard things to look for on a car. If you have something that is considered stock, but is rarely seen or unique(we've been at odds in this department over our Avanti wheelcovers, you know, the wire wheels), just like location in real estate, literature, literature, literature. If you can show the judge the sale ad, options list, photographs, what have you, do it. I have a 45 amp Motorola alternator on my Lark. It is not the normal Prestolite 35 or 40 amp that should be there, but it was a fleet setup I picked up from a vendor. The setup included not only the directions, but also the photograph with a time stamp and the name of Studebaker on the belt. Every time I go to have the car judged(yep I have the daily driver judged, lol) I show the judge the photograph which allows me to retain any missing points.

[IMG=left]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/55%20Studebaker%20Commander%20Streetrod%20Project/DSC00017-1-1.jpg[/IMG=left]
                              [IMG=left]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/55%20Studebaker%20Commander%20Streetrod%20Project/DSC00015-3-1.jpg[/IMG=left]
                              [IMG=right]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/Ex%20Studebaker%20Plant%20Locomotive/P1000578-1.jpg[/IMG=right]
                              [IMG=right]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/My%201964%20Studebaker%20Commander%20R2/P1010168.jpg[/IMG=right]

1964 Studebaker Commander R2 clone
                              1963 Studebaker Daytona Hardtop with no engine or transmission
                              1950 Studebaker 2R5 w/170 six cylinder and 3spd OD
                              1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Comment

Working...
                              X