Looked at a 1966 Stude 4 door V8 last night

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looked at a 1966 Stude 4 door V8 last night

Yesterday I went and looked at a 1966 Commander (?) here in the Phx area.........

The car has at least two major flaws:

#1: someone pulled out the 283 and dropped in a pre 1962 V8 (oil filter mounted up top). Flip side: the car is a 3 spd on the column.

#2: more ominously; the rocker panels were badly rotten.

The guy wants $500 and the car supposedly has a clear title.

If I were to get the car; what would be involved to replace the rockers? In defense of the vehicle, the overall body appears to be straight and the glass is all good.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Borrowed Bams50's sigline here:

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"
    --------------------------------------

Sold my 1962; Studeless at the moment

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

I like the idea of Stude power in a '66.

Tim K.
    '64 R2 GT Hawk
    Tim K.
    \'64 R2 GT Hawk

Comment

The ONLY Chevy V8 without provisions for an oil filter was the 1955 265. If the motor is still good, it is probably worth more to a collector than the whole '66 Commander. [:0]

Check under the left rear of the motor to see if there is a filter there also, or some sort of block off plate. A PO may have added the top mounted filter to a later engine.

If the rockers are badly rotten, there is a good chance there is other rot in the car. Inspect it closely...floors, trunk, back of front fenders, lower rear quarters, edge of hood and deck lid, etc.

Dick Steinkamp
      Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
      Bellingham, WA

Comment

B,B,But... It's not 'correct'[}][:0]
        Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by GTtim

I like the idea of Stude power in a '66.
        HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp

The ONLY Chevy V8 without provisions for an oil filter was the 1955 265. If the motor is still good, it is probably worth more to a collector than the whole '66 Commander. [:0]

Check under the left rear of the motor to see if there is a filter there also, or some sort of block off plate. A PO may have added the top mounted filter to a later engine.

If the rockers are badly rotten, there is a good chance there is other rot in the car. Inspect it closely...floors, trunk, back of front fenders, lower rear quarters, edge of hood and deck lid, etc.

Dick Steinkamp
          Bellingham, WA

Weird about the rot: from what I could tell; the fenders/quarter panels all appear to be OK but the vehicle has been sitting under some trees since ca. 1975 judging by that era [u]Arizona</u> license plates.

Flip side: replacement rockers, floors, etc. are readily available new.

If that Stude motor is indeed a collector's item: I would have zero heartburn letting it go and swapping in a ca. 1989 305/350 TBI/700R4 package-----------especially factoring in that this car is a rough 4 door sedan.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 1962larksedan

If that Stude motor is indeed a collector's item...
            My bad. I misunderstood. I thought you meant it was still a CHEVY motor, but with a filter on the top.

Dick Steinkamp
            Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
            Bellingham, WA

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp

quote:Originally posted by 1962larksedan

If that Stude motor is indeed a collector's item...
              My bad. I misunderstood. I thought you meant it was still a CHEVY motor, but with a filter on the top.

Dick Steinkamp
              Bellingham, WA

And my bad for not clarifying...........the engine is indeed a Stude V8 with a 2 barrel------------never mind the callouts of the fenders stating '283'.

Comment

Somebody went to a huge amount of trouble to change that over. Are ya sure it's a 66? or maybe somebody changed frames. That just blows me away.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by buddymander

Somebody went to a huge amount of trouble to change that over. Are ya sure it's a 66? or maybe somebody changed frames. That just blows me away.
                  I catch your drift:

The front sheetmetal/grille are pretty clearly 1966 along with the vents above the taillights..............

Flip side: I did take a peek at the rear wheels and there are nuts securing the hubs on------------I thought that all 1966 Stude cars had flanged axles like most modern vehicles.

Needless to say: you may be onot something there.........the deceased owner was quite the Stude pack rat.

We are discussing things like Stude V8 heads still in their (rotted) wooden crates, 4-5 additional cars (apparently a member on this Forum from Calif bought the ca. 1961 convertible), etc.

Comment

Oh, now it is sounding a lot like '66 sheet metal on an older body. Check the serial number and the firewall tag. Seems like the most likely scenario is that it is/was a '64 that someone put the newer fenders on and an older engine in. You didn't mention anything about the dash not being correct. '63's have a higher roofline than the later years.

Tim K.
                    '64 R2 GT Hawk
                    Tim K.
                    \'64 R2 GT Hawk

Comment

quote:Originally posted by GTtim

Oh, now it is sounding a lot like '66 sheet metal on an older body. Check the serial number and the firewall tag. Seems like the most likely scenario is that it is/was a '64 that someone put the newer fenders on and an older engine in. You didn't mention anything about the dash not being correct. '63's have a higher roofline than the later years.

Tim K.
                      '64 R2 GT Hawk
                      Who knows?

I went ahead and bought the car anyway; the last owner passed away (judging by the title the seller showed me, it was indeed a one owner vehicle), it needs to go through the executor of the estate come Tuesday then I can pick it up this upcoming weekend.

Why I suspect the Stude motor was swapped in is due to an remote oil filter atop the intake manifold; if my info is correct, even if said vehicle was indeed a 1964 (with 1966 front clip [u]and</u> taillights with the vents above the lenses), it should have its filter location on the block somewhere.

Too, the exhaust system from of the muffler is missing and the motor mounts look like they are welded to the front frame rails. What also intrigues me is the generator resting loose on top of the R/H side of the engine. []

If it helps any: the interior is black.

I also took a peek at the rear end; it does not look like a Dana 44; either my car is indeed a true 1964 (which may originally be a Six) or someone stuck a smaller unit under there for reasons unknown.

And I took a look at the rust; both front fenders have cancer about 12" up behind the front wheels and both rocker panels are nasty. The doors all appear to be clean and the hood, trunk and quarter panels are OK aside from some minor dents.

Comment

Just remembered: the original paint color is a pale iridescent green going by the firewall color.

Comment

Well, for $500 you can't really lose, keep us informed as you strip the car hopefully not too much more rust.

John Clements
                          Avantilover, your South Australian Studebaker lover!!!
                          Lockleys South Australia

John Clements
                          Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

quote:Originally posted by avantilover

Well, for $500 you can't really lose, keep us informed as you strip the car hopefully not too much more rust.

John Clements
                            Avantilover, your South Australian Studebaker lover!!!
                            Lockleys South Australia

My point exactly; especially factoring in clean paperwork.

Comment

Working...
                            X