This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 51 Champion Sway Bar

I see these hot rodded cars with the no bumper and the nose cut off. What happens with the sway bar? I am working on mine and it hangs down and is ulgy! Any suggestions?
    Thanks,
    Don

Don Colliau

Since I don't know what you are doing to the car in the way of modifications if for instance you are putting a V-8 in it you would want a larger sway bar anyway you might consider the one I used. It is a universal one from Chassis Engineering and can be adapted to most cars, it has a more conventional mounting ( without the stands). I used it on my 1941 Champion Hotrod so that is a different type of chassis but it would work on you car.
    www.chassisengineering.com (319) 643-2801
    P.S. the sway bar type I have is not on the website, kit is around $125.00
    Frank van Doorn
    Omaha, Ne.
    1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
    1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
    1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

Since I don't know what you are doing to the car in the way of modifications if for instance you are putting a V-8 in it you would want a larger sway bar anyway you might consider the one I used. It is a universal one from Chassis Engineering and can be adapted to most cars, it has a more conventional mounting ( without the stands). I used it on my 1941 Champion Hotrod so that is a different type of chassis but it would work on you car.
      www.chassisengineering.com (319) 643-2801
      P.S. the sway bar type I have is not on the website, kit is around $125.00
      Frank van Doorn
      Omaha, Ne.
      1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
      1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
      1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

Not sure how much different a 51 is from a 52, But, on my 52 Commander, I used a heavy duty Avanti sway bar that I had bought from the old Newman Altman in SB. I had to shorten it 3/4 of an inch on each end, and used the late sway bar brackets, and had to "play" a little with the mounting of the brackets. It's a LOT better then the little 1/2" sway bar that was on it. I think the new one is 1 1/8".
        It does hang down a little more then stock, but, handles a lot better too.

Jim
        "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
        their Memorials!

Comment

Not sure how much different a 51 is from a 52, But, on my 52 Commander, I used a heavy duty Avanti sway bar that I had bought from the old Newman Altman in SB. I had to shorten it 3/4 of an inch on each end, and used the late sway bar brackets, and had to "play" a little with the mounting of the brackets. It's a LOT better then the little 1/2" sway bar that was on it. I think the new one is 1 1/8".
          It does hang down a little more then stock, but, handles a lot better too.

Jim
          "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
          their Memorials!

Comment

quote:Originally posted by dcolliau

I see these hot rodded cars with the no bumper and the nose cut off. What happens with the sway bar? I am working on mine and it hangs down and is ulgy! Any suggestions?
            Thanks,
            Don

Don Colliau
            Keep in mind that many, if not most, highly modified cars are no longer on a stock Studebaker front suspension. Many have been sub-framed, etc.

Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

1959 DeLuxe pickup (restomod)
            Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

quote:Originally posted by dcolliau

Thanks,
              Don

Don Colliau
              Keep in mind that many, if not most, highly modified cars are no longer on a stock Studebaker front suspension. Many have been sub-framed, etc.

Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

1959 DeLuxe pickup (restomod)
              Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Working...
              X