• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frank Mundy Dies

I received this from Larry Swanson.

And this from Richard Quinn

Larry;

Thanks. You may want to inform the editors that I did a rather extensive story on Frank in the Sept 1993 Turning Wheels Almanac. I interviewed Frank over the phone and met him at the South Bend meet in 1997. Interesting guy.
    I am also attaching a photo that anyone is free to use by just crediting Richard Quinn photo collection. The information in the Almanac relates the details of the Studebaker connection.

Cordially,

Richard Quinn
    editor: Antique Studebaker Review

Leonard Shepherd

My wife & I met Frank Mundy during the South Bend SDC Meet in 1997. It was late in the evening at the bar at the Marriott Meet headquarters. Figured I had drank plenty with those Four Horsemen ales so the evening passed well with Frank's stories. Certainly was a colorful figure.

"QUIGLEY DOWN UNDER"
    MELBOURNE.

\"QUIGLEY DOWN UNDER\"
    MELBOURNE.

Comment

Frank was invited to our Tri-State meet here in NC back in the 90's. He gave a great talk on the early days of racing... and his Studebaker connection.
      Great down-to-earth guy. A real racing progenitor.

He will be missed...

Ray

Ray

Specializing in Studebaker Restoration
      Ray

www.raylinrestoration.com
      Specializing in Studebaker Restoration

Comment

Pic 1 looks to have a Rambler Pace car, Pic 2 looks like tough compition 2 Hudsons, 2 Oldsmobiles and a Stude.
        I've always wondered why Stude stayed with smaller Cubic inches than other makes. From the V-8 years Olds had 303 ci Cad had 331ci to start and Stude just 232. Even when they went to the 259 in 1955 they were still way behind. Not counting a 56 Golden Hawk, but even then it was still just 352 ci and they dropped that. Granted Stude could still hold it's own at the race tracks but i guess they were so into economy runs they couldn't see past the're nose.

101st Airborne Div. 326 Engineers Ft Campbell Ky.

Comment

Man, I am sorry to hear this. That's an excellent link with a ton of history. 'Makes me feel older than Ted Harbit! BP
          We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

I have an autographed copy of the top photo in this post framed in my shop. I think I gave Frank a few dollars (I can't remember how much) to cover the cost of having the photos printed. Frank seemed like one of those rare people who faced each sunrise with eager anticipation of what adventure he could seize for the day. He not only seized the moment, but treasured the resulting memories. The sheer joy that exuded from his countenance, as he recalled his exploits, made it evident that this was a person of unsurpassed energy and optimism. I imagine that he is now exploring the treasures of eternity!
            John Clary
            Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

quote:Originally posted by clonelark
              I've always wondered why Stude stayed with smaller Cubic inches than other makes. From the V-8 years Olds had 303 ci Cad had 331ci to start and Stude just 232. Even when they went to the 259 in 1955 they were still way behind. Not counting a 56 Golden Hawk, but even then it was still just 352 ci and they dropped that. Granted Stude could still hold it's own at the race tracks but i guess they were so into economy runs they couldn't see past the're nose.
              If you look at Studebaker's competition, market wise, in the early 1950s, it was Plymouth, Ford and Chevrolet. Studebaker engines compared quite favorably with those makes then. None of them had any size OHV V8 until 1954-1955, not counting the 1917 Chevrolet. IIRC, the V8s were 265 CID for '55 Chevrolet, 239 CID for '54 Ford and 241/260 CID for '55 Plymouth. Cadillac and Oldsmobile were not in the same "class"/market with Studebakers, even though Studebaker models were priced with Buicks.

Just recently, I recalled my meeting with Frank Mundy. I guess that it was the last NASCAR points race (Talladega ?) were it was mentioned that the pole sitter for the first race there was a Studebaker.

Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
              Studebaker enthusiast much longer
              Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Gary--

Darlington...the revived Southern 500. Was sorta watching/listening to the Fox prerace broadcast and heard that ref to Studebaker...which certainly got my attention! (Hm...1:18 diecast version of ol' #23, anyone?)

S.

Comment

Some months ago, I posted the specific NASCAR races in which a Studebaker won. I can't find the posting. Can someone help? I don't really want to spend the time doing the research again on these victories.

Frank Drumheller
                  Louisa, VA
                  60S-W6
                  1948 M16-52 Boyer fire truck

Comment

Frank--

This one?

S.

Comment

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

That's the one. Thank you so much for helping me.

Frank Drumheller
                      Louisa, VA
                      60S-W6
                      1948 M16-52

Comment

Working...
                      X