Everett, Wa.

1961 Lark 4 door wagon
      1961 Lark 4 door wagon #2 (Wife's car!)
      1955 VW Beetle (Went to the dark side)
      1914 Ford Model T

Comment

Bengt,
        Very nice!
        Welcome to the forum. Met you in South Bend. As you know our cars are twins.

Gary Sanders
        Nixa, MO
        President Toy Studebaker Collectors Club. Have an interest in Toy Studebakers? Contact me for details.
        Gary Sanders
        Nixa, MO

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Gary1953

Bengt,

Gary Sanders
          Nixa, MO
          President Toy Studebaker Collectors Club. Have an interest in Toy Studebakers? Contact me for details.
          Thanks Gary. Yes we met in South Bend. You have really nice car. I have some struggle before I get my car to such a state.

Bengt Engwall
          1953 Commander Starliner
          Bengt Engwall
          1953 Commander Starliner

Comment

Looks very close to me. I wouldn't kick it out of the garage for leaking oil.

Gary Sanders
            Nixa, MO
            Gary Sanders
            Nixa, MO

Comment

I emailed Stephen Cade (used to own Stephen Allen's Auto).

Hope this helps out some. Here's his reply:

I don't remember the name, but it belonged to a lady down south. Her husband bought a new 1982 Avanti and died in a car crash in 1986. She drove the car from 750 miles to almost 7500. We bought it and it now has about 22,000 miles. She told us about this 1953 at the national museum. They had put it on loan and she was going to give me first shot at buying it, when she returned from Spain.
              She died of heart failure on that trip. Some time later the museum wanted the car gone. I purchased it from her daughter, who lives in Gainesville, and had it shipped to Vern's in Kansas. He sold it to Adriane, a customer of mine, in England. He sold it to someone in another part of the European Continent and it was soon wrecked. That is the last I heard of the car. That should answer the hood alignment problem.
              See ya. Stephen

Comment

quote:Originally posted by mbstude

I emailed Stephen Cade (used to own Stephen Allen's Auto).

Hope this helps out some. Here's his reply:

I don't remember the name, but it belonged to a lady down south. Her husband bought a new 1982 Avanti and died in a car crash in 1986. She drove the car from 750 miles to almost 7500. We bought it and it now has about 22,000 miles. She told us about this 1953 at the national museum. They had put it on loan and she was going to give me first shot at buying it, when she returned from Spain.
                She died of heart failure on that trip. Some time later the museum wanted the car gone. I purchased it from her daughter, who lives in Gainesville, and had it shipped to Vern's in Kansas. He sold it to Adriane, a customer of mine, in England. He sold it to someone in another part of the European Continent and it was soon wrecked. That is the last I heard of the car. That should answer the hood alignment problem.
                See ya. Stephen

Bengt Engwall
                1953 Commander Starliner

Comment

Stephen would know, since the car went through him. It sure does look like a car that I rebuilt in the same colors and with a 259 V8 and '55 AT.
                  Does the car have fiberglass or steel front fenders?
                  No matter the history. It is a nice car now and my favorite. Just this afternoon, I was speaking with a non-Studebaker person and he asked what my favorite Studebaker model is. I immediately answered: 1953 Commander Starliner.

Gary L.
                  Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                  Studebaker enthusiast much longer
                  Gary L.
                  Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

quote:Originally posted by studegary

Stephen would know, since the car went through him. It sure does look like a car that I rebuilt in the same colors and with a 259 V8 and '55 AT.
                    Does the car have fiberglass or steel front fenders?
                    No matter the history. It is a nice car now and my favorite. Just this afternoon, I was speaking with a non-Studebaker person and he asked what my favorite Studebaker model is. I immediately answered: 1953 Commander Starliner.

Gary L.
                    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                    It has steel fenders.

Bengt Engwall
                    1953 Commander Starliner
                    Bengt Engwall
                    1953 Commander Starliner

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Gary1953

Bengt,
                      Very nice!

Gary Sanders
                      Nixa, MO
                      Bengt Engwall
                      1953 Commander Starliner

Comment

Hi Bengt,

Really nice car and nice photo. Maybe a TW cover photo ???
                        I believe I have a small photo somewhere of your car while it
                        was at the Studebaker National Museum (I might have video of it also).

Michael Bostedt
                        Gavle, Sweden
                        1953 Commmander Starlight

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Michael

Hi Bengt,

Really nice car and nice photo. Maybe a TW cover photo ???
                          I believe I have a small photo somewhere of your car while it
                          was at the Studebaker National Museum (I might have video of it also).

Michael Bostedt
                          Gavle, Sweden

Hi Michael,

Thank you for your kind words. I would love to see your photos - and video! Your collection is outstanding. Is there anyone else that has memories of my Starliner as it was exhibited at the Studebaker museum?

Will we see you att the Swedish Studebaker meet in Vadstena this summer Michael?

Bengt Engwall
                          1953 Commander Starliner
                          Bengt Engwall
                          1953 Commander Starliner

Comment

Hi Bengt,

Here is a photo from the Studebaker National Museum. It's from 1988 and
                            I got it from my friend Bo. The image is captured from a VHS tape and
                            the quality is not that good.
                            It's definately your car though.

Michael Bostedt
                            Gavle, Sweden

Comment

Here is another photo. I got this from my friend Ed Meyer.
                              He told me that the photo was shot on May 5th 2001.

So now we know that your 1953 Starliner sat at the museum
                              at least between 1988 and May 2001.
                              Did someone here go to the Studebaker 150-year celebration
                              in South Bend in 2002?
                              It would be interesting to know if the car was still there in 2002.

Michael Bostedt
                              Gavle, Sweden

Comment

Working...
                              X