Learn something everyday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Learn something everyday

Went to a cruse in last night and found out this is not a Studebaker engine. Studebaker never made there own engine's. They used Packard or Ford engine's. Even the 6 cylinders were made by Continental. And the nice AMX that was parked behined me was powered by a 390 Ford, even though the owner said it was not. But I'm starting to get used to people telling me I don't know what the heck I'm talking about.

Jim
    SDC Member Since 1975
    Studebaker enthusiast since 1959

sigpic
    Jim

I learned that leason many years ago. My answer is Yes, Yes, no Kdding, Thanks I should have known that. And I did just learn something from your thread, I had a 68 AMX in 1975 and it had a 390 in it and I aways thought it was a AMC motor. WOW A Ford !!!!!!!!!!!!

1956 Studebaker Pelham Wagon Houston, Texas
    Remember, \"When all is said and done. More is always said then ever done.\"

Comment

If that is a Ford engine in your car you did a bangup job of disguising it as something else. There are an incredible amount of "experts" out there that know more about your car than you do.
      Frank van Doorn
      Omaha, Ne.
      1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
      1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
      1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

It is very hard just to stand there yep, your right is is a ford...

Jim
        SDC Member Since 1975

sigpic
        Jim

Comment

quote:Originally posted by jims53

Went to a cruse in last night and found out this is not a Studebaker engine. Studebaker never made there own engine's. They used Packard or Ford engine's. Even the 6 cylinders were made by Continental. And the nice AMX that was parked behined me was powered by a 390 Ford, even though the owner said it was not. But I'm starting to get used to people telling me I don't know what the heck I'm talking about.

Wow, Jim! No matter who made the engine, that is a beautifully-detailed engine room. Just gorgeous. Congrats. BP
          We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Spot on Bob, I second that emotion. Clean enough to eat of - just don't drop crumbs on the fan shroud

[img=left]http://members.cox.net/clarknovak/lark.gif[/img=left]

Clark in San Diego
            '63 F2/Lark Standard

The Official Website of the San Diego Chapter of the Studebaker Drivers Club. Serving San Diego County

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

So Jims53...
              You really met the federal government's new automotive advisor/expert?

63 Avanti R1 2788
              1914 Stutz Bearcat
              (George Barris replica)

Washington State
              63 Avanti R1 2788
              1914 Stutz Bearcat
              (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

Yeah,
                Another little-known fact is that AMC developed the 232 V8 that Studebaker used from '51 thru '54. After that four-year shakedown, AMC took what they'd learned - spent 10 years refining the powerplant - and then reintroduced it with two less cylinders in 1964.[}]

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                1963 Cruiser
                1960 Larkvertible V8
                1958 Provincial wagon
                1953 Commander coupe
                1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

I'll bet you didn't know that Avanti's were built in Italy. And they all came with turbocharged ford 289's.

R2Andy

So Jim which engine did your expert observer determine yours to be? Packard or Ford? And what about the 401 Buick and 401 AMC? Who really built them? Inquiring minds want to know.
                  R2Andrea

Comment

There is a mostly male trait (although I have seen it in some females) that I call "Declared Knowledge." Knowledge that has value is usually learned (and earned) by experience, reading, or attending educational and training classes. Those full of "Declared Knowledge" have discovered the "secret shortcut" of life's mysteries and somehow acquire all this "knowledge" without the effort the rest of us "fools" have invested. It is also interesting how those with all the "Declared Knowledge" have to shout it very loud so that everybody within earshot can know how obviously brilliant they really are. It's as if...you "Declare" it loud enough and with conviction and confidence...it must be true![:0]

John Clary
                    Greer, SC

I have only two limitations ...BRAINS & ENERGY
                    SDC member since 1975
                    John Clary
                    Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

AW Shucks guys

It's obviously a Y-Block with Studebaker valve covers. Anybody can see that. [)][:0]

Just kidding

Bob

Comment

The one man who came up last night wondered if my car had the two speed rear axle, "the Commander's had the two speed rear axle's you know". I said I don't think so, "some trucks might have had them". No no I'm sure the Commanders had them...

Jim
                        SDC Member Since 1975

sigpic
                        Jim

Comment

I had a Harley rider stop behind my Fiat Spyder yesterday and tell me about the one he had with a V-6 and dual carbs. (FACTORY) Sometimes we find entertainment from unlikely places. Do I hafta get me a Harley so I can have "Infused Knowledge" too...Until then, I'll just hafta rely on the kindness of strangers...willing (and anxious) to share their knowledge with those, like myself, who haven't been endowed with the keen perception and powers of deduction so prevalent in the ones with the loudest voices...

Comment

Wouldn't a TW article titled "Studebaker Myths and Misconceptions" be a great resource...especially if it were reprinted as a small handout for SDC members to have in their glove compartments for just these kind of "educational opportunities"?

Or, has that TW article already been written and published? If not, any volunteers? If not for TW, I'd be happy to format it and keep it on the SDC site (and format the handout for PDF download). I just don't have the time to write it.

BShaw, Webmaster

webmaster@studebakerdriversclub.com
                            Woodbury, Minnesota
                            sigpic
                            Bob Shaw
                            Rush City, Minnesota
                            1960 Hawk - www.northstarstudebakers.com
                            "The farther I go, the behinder I get."

Comment

I always love how those that don't own one feel the need to enlighten those that do with whatever hearsay they've picked up over the years... Did you know that Pontiac 400 blocks are the same as Chevy's? Or that TempesTorque 2-speed autos are just Powerglides in drag? Or that early Caddy manifolds will bolt right up to a Stude 259? Amazing...!

[img=left]http://members.cox.net/clarknovak/lark.gif[/img=left]

Clark in San Diego
                              '63 F2/Lark Standard

The Official Website of the San Diego Chapter of the Studebaker Drivers Club. Serving San Diego County

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Working...
                              X