A step above the rest...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A step above the rest...

John saw this truck at the Pacific Southwest Zone Meet this past weekend and was intrigued by the step on the side. Can anyone give us additional information on this? Was the step an option? An aftermarket addition? We appreciate any insight we can get. Thanks!

John and Tracy Smith
    Queen Creek Arizona

[IMG]

AFAIK Studebaker never offered an actual "step side", I would suggest that is an aftermarket item.

<h5>Mark
    '57 Transtar Deluxe
    Vancouver Island

The NW Overdrive Tour in Parksville, BC
    May 23 & 24, 2009; check it out at -
    http://sdcvi.shawwebspace.ca/
    </h5>
    Mark Hayden
    '66 Commander

Comment

I've seen a few of those on Stude Trucks. From what I can remember they were an aftermarket add on .Studedude I think has one on his too.

Mabel 1949 Champion
      Hawk 1957 Silverhawk
      Gus 1958 Transtar
      The Prez 1955 President State
      Blu 1957 Golden Hawk
      Fresno,Ca
      Mabel 1949 Champion
      Hawk 1957 Silverhawk
      Gus 1958 Transtar
      The Prez 1955 President State
      Blu 1957 Golden Hawk
      Daisy 1954 Regal Commander Starlight Coupe
      Fresno,Ca

Comment

quote:Originally posted by John and Tracy Smith

John saw this truck at the Pacific Southwest Zone Meet this past weekend and was intrigued by the step on the side. Can anyone give us additional information on this? Was the step an option? An aftermarket addition? We appreciate any insight we can get. Thanks!
        It is answered here:

Craig
        Last edited by 8E45E; 10-17-2016, 02:03 PM.

Comment

Every day you learn something new [:I]... Good catch Craig!

<h5>Mark
          '57 Transtar Deluxe
          Vancouver Island

The NW Overdrive Tour in Parksville, BC
          May 23 & 24, 2009; check it out at -
          http://sdcvi.shawwebspace.ca/
          </h5>
          Mark Hayden
          '66 Commander

Comment

Vely interlesting. jimmijim
            sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

What is amazing to me, in light of what is going on in the automotive mfg. world today,is that Studebaker was real keen on offering a truck "step accessory" and apparently spent money advertising them. Later, they offered them at a substantial discount because they were evidently not a big hit with customers. Years ago Bob Bourke stopped by my 1955 truck at a national meet. He made the comment that they nearly quashed the design upgrade of the new C cabs because the grilles were considered too expensive... ELEVEN DOLLARS!...In retrospect, the cost of eleven dollars per grille for the '54-'56 trucks seem like a bargain. The "R" series grills are actually more complex, consisting of multiple parts, instead of the single stamping of the "E" series "C" cabs. I wonder what the production cost of the fiberglass grilles of the later models were?

John Clary
              Greer, SC

I have only two limitations ...BRAINS & ENERGY
              SDC member since 1975
              John Clary
              Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Working...
              X