Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will this work together

1960 Lark

289 w/chevy pattern 4speed bellhousing, stock clutch linkage with custom inner support to hang from the T5

T5 WC from a Camaro

Bearing retainer, pilot bushing and stock T/O brg modified by DanH

Fidanza flywheel

Centerforce 26 spline 10.5 clutch plate and Centerforce diaphragm PP

Question: has anyone run something close to this and will I have any problems getting all these guys to work together?

JohnP, driving & reviving
    an early Lark
    sigpic
    60 Lark & 58 Scotsman 4dr

That sounds pretty good, the only thing I would question is the Clutch Linkage. You say "stock clutch linkage with custom inner support to hang from the T5".

Would that be stock from the '60 Lark with a V-8 and T-86 Std. or O.D.?
    Or from the 4 speed clutch housing setup?

Remember these cross shafts and Trans. mounting brackets are different on Sedans vs C & K and most every combination, so when you say "Custom" I think that is pretty much what it will be, just do whatever it takes to make it work and you will be fine.

I don't know anything about Chevy clutches, so I assume the T5 has a matching 26 spline input shaft, unlike a Stude.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Hi Rich,
      Well, the clutch linkage is something that might take some thought. The car is a flat six and straight 3 speed. The Hawk bellhousing has the stock clutch shaft coming out with no arm on it at the moment, and I don't know if it comes out in the same place the 6 cylinder one does.

Yes, the clutch plate matches the T5 input. The other variable I'm not sure of is whether the stock TO and linkage levers on the shaft will stroke the right distance for a diaphragm clutch vs the stock three finger type.

an early Lark
      sigpic
      60 Lark & 58 Scotsman 4dr

Comment

You want to use a V8 bellhousing with a Lark six? As it stands, it won't fit, number one obvious reason being the starter location. I doubt any of the bolt holes would line up, either.

Now, if you could find a rear engine plate from a six-cylinder Stude taxi-cab, you could make it work, because cars built for taxi service used V8 parts from the bellhousing back. Good luck with finding one.

Now you might be able to use a readily-available 6 cylinder truck bellhousing, and re-drill it for the Chevy tranny.

Another option might be to make a custom rear engine plate to accept a standard Chevy bellhousing, and use the Chevy-style clutch linkage, too. This the same sort of conversion that is sold by several vendors to hang a Chevy auto tranny on a V8 Studebaker engine. You would have to get creative with the starter, and that would depend upon which flywheel you used.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

I think it is going to have a 289 V-8 and 5 speed in a '60 Lark VI per the first post Gord.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

My understanding on using diaphragm clutches is that the humps on the inside of the bellhousing will have to be ground down, otherwise the pressure plate will rub on the inside of the flywheel housing.
            I'm not an expert, but I read about this when considering which type of clutch to use.

Steve
            Minden, Nevada

1950 2R5 truck
            1960 Hawk R2 4 speed project
            Steve
            Buckeye, Arizona

Comment

quote:Originally posted by coyote

My understanding on using diaphragm clutches is that the humps on the inside of the bellhousing will have to be ground down, otherwise the pressure plate will rub on the inside of the flywheel housing.
              I'm not an expert, but I read about this when considering which type of clutch to use.

Steve
              Minden, Nevada

1950 2R5 truck
              You read right, provided that the clutch pressure plate in question is the square-shouldered Chevy type, and provided the Stude bellhousing is one for a car. The truck bellhousing is roomy enough as-is.

I did one in a car bellhousing; ground the humps out with an angle grinder, and fastened sheet metal covers over the resulting holes with small screws. Not a very hard job, and you just grind the hump until it's flush with the surrounding metal.

Comment

Working...
              X