Maine Studebaker at Maxton

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maine Studebaker at Maxton

The second ECTA meet of the 2009 was held at Maxton, NC this past weekend. Only one Stude running this time. The black coupe runs out of Maine. It is powered by a 482 BBC back by a Doug Nash 5 speed. The car was originally a '57 Hawk. The fins were removed and a front end comes from a Pontiac Sunbird. Like it or not (I do like it!) it is menacing!

I wish I had gotten the time it ran, but I was either making a pass myself or working shutdown where the times didn't come across the broken CB radio. Several different drivers drove it over the weekend.

Check out the other pictures on this thread in the BankShift.com forum as well.

Joe Roberts
    '61 R1 Champ
    '65 Cruiser
    Editor of "The Down Easterner"
    Eastern North Carolina Chapter
    Joe Roberts
    '61 R1 Champ
    '65 Cruiser

The Hawk looks good!!![}][}][}]

Jamie McLeod
    Hope Mills, NC
    Jamie McLeod
    Hope Mills, NC

1963 Lark "Ugly Betty"
    1958 Commander "Christine"
    1964 Wagonaire "Louise"
    1955 Commander Sedan
    1964 Champ
    1960 Lark

Comment

That is about the neatest GMC truck I've seen. Studebaker looks cool too.

Gary Sanders
      Nixa, MO
      President Toy Studebaker Collectors Club. Have an interest in Toy Studebakers? Contact me for details.
      Gary Sanders
      Nixa, MO

Comment

What'd you drive?
        What'd you run?
        Curious minds need to Know....down to the thousandth[]....
        Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by JRoberts

<snip>
        I wish I had gotten the time it ran, but I was either making a pass myself or working shutdown where the times didn't come across the broken CB radio.
        <snip>

http://community.webshots.com/user/deepnhock
        HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

A friend has an S10 pickup powered by a 327 Chevy engine out of a dirt track car. He claims to have only $100 in the engine. The truck isn't pretty (I think it was in one of the pictures on link I posted earlier.)but it is well built and safe. I did make one pass, I messed up shifting the thing (entirely my fault not the vehicle's) and thus the time was miserable and will not be mentioned here[V]. It was a blast just to go down the track in some other capacity than setting up cones, cleaning up oil spills, or picking up after other people's junk broke I have been a volunteer course worker for 13 years or so. The little truck has plenty of get-up-and-go especially for somebody like me. The cage was built for somebody quite a bit smaller than I am and was difficult to get in and out of, but that was be over come after some practice. It was nice to have that cage around you. The truck runs in C/Modified Mini Pickup.

We planned to make a second run, but the rains canceled things and that was that. I am more intent on putting something of my own on the track. We have a 1.8 Turbo Jetta that could be competitive in a couple of classes. I also am still entertaining the idea of a Studebaker powered Studebaker pickup. I have recently taken ownership of a good 259 with R1 heads. I think that would be a good starting point. It would run in E/Production Pickup. Some of the records there look obtainable. Oh, well it'll come together someday I suppose.

Joe Roberts
          '61 R1 Champ
          '65 Cruiser
          Editor of "The Down Easterner"
          Joe Roberts
          '61 R1 Champ
          '65 Cruiser

Comment

Working...
          X