PDA

View Full Version : What transmission was used???

studeguy
12-23-2006, 12:03 PM
Can someone tell me what transmission would have been used on a '61 Champ pickup, V-8 with overdrive? I am having problems with the overdrive transmission on this truck, as the truck "free-wheels" when going down a grade, and will not shift into overdrive when on a flat road. Does anyone have an idea what is wrong??

Is there any interchange on this transmission with any other make of vehicle??

Thanks

PackardV8
12-23-2006, 12:45 PM
Hi, studeguy,

Just because the truck is a '61 Champ, is not safe to assume anything else is. Stude parts mostly interchange, so anything could be under there forty-five years later. One guy brought a Champ in to us with a Chevy V8 under the hood, yes, out of a Studebaker, and was unaware it was not original equipment. Questions:

1. Which V8 engine do you have? The serial number is on the top front beside the oil filler tube.
2. Which transmission is under there? Does it have a removable side cover with the shifter levers in it? The other option is the shifter arms going into the solid casting and a removeable top cover.
3. There is nothing wrong with your transmission which cannot be repaired for less than the cost of a conversion to another transmission. Plenty of Borg-Warner transmissions and parts available through members of this forum. The stock B-W overdrive is by far the best and most cost-effective transmission for your truck, unless money is no object. (And no, we don't want to hear from those who have T5s given to them and their brother-in-law is a NASCAR mechanic. That doesn't apply to most of us.:))

Happy Holidays

PackardV8

PackardV8
12-23-2006, 01:33 PM
Hi, hotwheels63r2,

You are probably the expert, so educate us all on the differences between the passenger car and truck B-W 3-spd and OD trannies.

IIRC, the truck transmissions were given the T87E for some of the T86 type and the T85 type was called the T89C. I think these had different gear ratios and at least on the T89C, had a straight spline on the sliding gear instead of the spiral on the passenger car version. Did the truck versions have the corresponding ID cast on the housing, or were the differences just internal?

TIA, jv.

PackardV8

Transtar60
12-23-2006, 06:16 PM
[quote]Originally posted by studeguy

Can someone tell me what transmission would have been used on a '61 Champ pickup, V-8 with overdrive? I am having problems with the overdrive transmission on this truck, as the truck "free-wheels" when going down a grade, and will not shift into overdrive when on a flat road. Does anyone have an idea what is wrong??

Studeguy,
The T-86 and the even lighter weight T-96 were car only trannies, at least from 1957 on.
Your truck should have a T-89 which will have T-85C cast into the side of the case.

Have you tried pulling the handle out to lock out the OD??

How about the last time you checked the fluid and electrical connections on the tranny?? Got a shop manual or have a link to
Ray's tech tips???

http://www.ncsdc.com/TechnicalPages/Overdrive/Overdrive.htm

3E38
4E2
4E28
5E13
7E7
8E7
8E12
8E28
4E2
59 Lark
etc

Transtar60
12-23-2006, 06:29 PM
quote:Originally posted by PackardV8

Hi, hotwheels63r2,

PackardV8,
The T87E was a T-89 setup for right hand drive, it for some reason had slightly different gear ratios

IIRC, the truck transmissions were given the T87E for some of the T86 type and the T85 type was called the T89C. I think these had different gear ratios and at least on the T89C, had a straight spline on the sliding gear instead of the spiral on the passenger car version. Did the truck versions have the corresponding ID cast on the housing, or were the differences just internal?

TIA, jv.

PackardV8

3E38
4E2
4E28
5E13
7E7
8E7
8E12
8E28
4E2
59 Lark