rocker panel removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rocker panel removal

How do you access the two rocker panel bolts on a 48 Champion /convertible?

Did you ever get an answer? I am trying to figure out how to remove/replace the rockers on my 48 Commander convertible. Somewhere I picked up the notion that as to the part to the rear of the door frame there are two bolts "inside the car" but I'll be dipped of I can find them. Any advice would be appreciated.

obermotor in Denver

Comment

I believe it's a "stud" at the rear of each rocker panel that attaches to the rear quarter; and the nut is accessed from under the vehicle. All else are spot welds to the body floor.
      Brad Johnson,
      SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
      '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
      '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Originally posted by rockne10 View Post
        I believe it's a "stud" at the rear of each rocker panel that attaches to the rear quarter; and the nut is accessed from under the vehicle. All else are spot welds to the body floor.
        This is correct for the two doors. They did this on 64 and other years also. The shop manual should help. I changed those on the 47 in early 70's so memory is getting vague.
        Milt

1947 Champion (owned since 1967)
        1961 Hawk 4-speed
        1967 Avanti
        1961 Lark 2 door
        1988 Avanti Convertible

Member of SDC since 1973

Comment

How about the body parts manual? That should show something.
          RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
          4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
          5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

No luck. My rockers are rotted off at the end, so there can be no outside bolt holding them on. I'm tempted to put a thin sawzall blade in there and cut off whatever is holding them in.

TORQUE BOXES: these are also rotted on both ends. I don't want to replace them entirely, would like to just fab some new end pieces and weld them in. Does anyone know if they are supposed to be welded to anything at either end?

thanks for your help guys!

Comment

Working...
            X