Body stresses in 63-66 cars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body stresses in 63-66 cars

Been progressing on my 63 Cruiser the last two weeks. I've got a bodyman that's coming by in the evenings to address the few minor wounds and prep for eventual painting. That task is progressing quickly.

Yesterday tho, I discovered something truly startling that I've never seen before - and I've had lots of 63-later Studes pass thru my hands in 36 years.
    While I routinely DO see cracks in the body tub of 63-later cars (4-drs and wagons), usually it's where the A & B-pillars join the roof. This car has such cracks and I intend to address them with a MIG welder.
    What I found last night tho - this is something new to me. This car is NOT a rust-bucket. It's spent all it's life either here in the central valley of CA OR in southern Arizona. In fact, most of the generous surface rust it bears is from it's original finish being destroyed in long-term outdoor storage in the Arizona sunshine. The only crusty rust is the upper lip that the rubber sill seals mount into. Wet carpets after the car was returned to CA and stored in less than ideal circumstances was the cause of that.

Anyway, the cause of this has me stumped! There's NO rust or rot here, just tearing due to fatigue.

This is the bolt that attaches to the crossmember that arches up over the rear axle. I haven't check from underneath yet, but I'm thinking maybe a frozen shock absorber(s) could cause this???

While I'm at it, here's the cracks at the tops of the B-pillars. Some of what looks like cracks is simply seam-sealer that I have yet to pick away at, but the rusted edges of the cracks readily give themselves away. Again, this is not a new phenomenon. I've seen it so often that a surprize would be to NOT see it.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1963 Cruiser
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe
    1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

By what you have pictured I would clean off the frame real good & look for cracks in the crossmember over the axle & on the outriggers under the "B" pillar. The Stude frame has flex in it, but yours looks to been flexing more than normal. I have found on my 66 Daytona cracks in the "B" pillar but in the middle, in the belt area from the post flexing from the impact of closing the door over the years. If you have a frozen shock I would imagine it would be easy to determine by a bounce test on the rear.

60 Lark convertible
    61 Champ
    62 Daytona convertible
    63 G.T. R-2,4 speed
    63 Avanti (2)
    66 Daytona Sport Sedan
    59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
    60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
    61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
    62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
    62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
    62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
    63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
    63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
    64 Zip Van
    66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
    66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

That IS interesting Bob... you'll have to keep us posted on what you find that would help solve the mystery. [8)]

<h5>Mark
      '57 Transtar Deluxe
      Vancouver Island

The NW Overdrive Tour in Parksville, BC
      May 23 & 24, 2009; check it out at -
      http://sdcvi.shawwebspace.ca/
      </h5>
      Mark Hayden
      '66 Commander

Comment

Yeah, later today I'm gonna do just such an inspection as you speak of. I have had the car in the air and looked at the "ususal suspects" for frame cracks. All looked good tho. I do have a complete, straight and solid 63 Cruiser frame sitting out back.[}]

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
        1963 Cruiser
        1960 Larkvertible V8
        1958 Provincial wagon
        1953 Commander coupe
        1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Weld 'em up and good to go. Maybe in the cars past it was subjected to improper lifting, jacking up, in many ways that could have affected the car to the point of fatigue in certain areas. Maybe the car was used for hauling asse. A few big ones. I won't dare have my car lifted on just any frame hoist. I prefer lifting the whole car and not to stress the frame with suspension and engine weights as modern lifts allow. jimmijim
          sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

Is there a rubber isolator between the body and cross member or was it left out?

Comment

Another thing to consider when looking at sheet metal...an improper annealing process could cause the sheet metal to be less flexible and prone to cracks. Improper or insufficient lubrication during the stamping and drawing process could also predispose the panel to cracks. In these cases, the particular parts could be "set-up" for failure before the parts were formed, or the car left the assembly line. Regardless, this is a good time to check, repair, and re-enforce areas needing attention. Remember, these cars were made to "Sell" and not necessarily to last more than a few years. Anytime you have an opportunity to improve the longevity, go for it.

John Clary
              Greer, SC

I have only two limitations ...BRAINS & ENERGY
              SDC member since 1975
              John Clary
              Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

The rubber shim IS in place. One thing that I forgot to mention that Jimjim asked about - somewhere along the way, someone either tried to jack this thing using the right rear floorboards, or it slipped and fell on something. The right rear footwell was ballooned upwards maybe 2 or 3 inches. Took a block of wood and a 4lb sledge to beat it back to where it ought to be.[:0]

Speaking to jclary's comments, I'll take a photo to share, but next to the hinge attach point on the left front door, there's obvious splits in the metal where it tore when being stamped. It's not really jeapordizing the integrity of the door, but there it is.[B)]

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                1963 Cruiser
                1960 Larkvertible V8
                1958 Provincial wagon
                1953 Commander coupe
                1957 President two door

Comment

Those sure look like fatigue failures which result from repeated flexing, especially under unusual load. Defective shock or overloaded vehicle.

Comment

Studesky and Hutch comes to mind[]....
                    Jeff[8D]
                    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

I'm still on good terms with this Cruiser. Anything you can pay $425 for and drive around, is worth it. And outward appearances are/were good.

That said, it does look like this thing was driven out in the boonies when you look underneath![:0] The engine and trans oil pans are battered - big time. The batwing crossmember looks like it was assualted too.[}] And while the exhaust system does a real credible job of hushing the 289, the muffler has really gotten whacked at some point!

It hadn't been on the road since 1989 and that was only for it's relocation from AZ to CA. Prior to that, clues like registrations and stickers point to 1977 being the last year it was on the road.

I met the original owner maybe 15 years ago - he died in 2002. He'd showed me this car (in storage) when I met him and I know it sat - save for a move of about 10 miles after he died - since it came to Visalia in '89.
                      When we talked some years ago, he proudly pointed out that it was a rather odd Cruiser in that it had neither PS or PB. I'm fairly certain he ordered it like that. He was related thru marriage to the local Stude dealer.

He didn't seem like the sort that would have taken to the desert in Arizona, but who knows???[:I]

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                      1963 Cruiser
                      1960 Larkvertible V8
                      1958 Provincial wagon
                      1953 Commander coupe
                      1957 President two door

Comment

Bob, when I found my car, circa '96 in a junk yard outside of Phoenix, I did some research to find its last owner found on the title. This was before Google, so I simply made 411 calls looking for similar names and amazingly found a nephew of that female owner in Seligman, AZ. He said his aunt had given it to him with less than 30K on it, so he "beat the p##s" out of it in the desert flying around on hilly terrain. He ran it out of oil and that's why it still had 1971 plates on it when I found it. Anyway, he said he kind of made a huge point that he used it as a dune car briefly, so maybe Jeff isn't too far off with his guess of Studesky & Hutch. His aunt may have been Louise.. but she never got a chance to talk Thelma into a rowdy desert trip herself.

It could have been a relative abusing it, or maybe he had a few wild desert nights in his past. We all have a couple of those in our past..right??

Comment

You can always tell when a cars been off-road. When I got my Lark, the frame was loaded with dirt that still had weeds hanging out of it. The transmission pan had been caved in which crushed the transfer tube and fried the rear pump. The parking brake cable had been caught on something and severed. Oh, and the engine mounts were sheared. That's what happens when you give a kid a vintage car...!

[img=left]http://members.cox.net/clarknovak/lark.gif[/img=left]

Clark in San Diego
                          '63 F2/Lark Standard

The Official Website of the San Diego Chapter of the Studebaker Drivers Club. Serving San Diego County

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

This car was bought by an older fella/couple - stayed in their ownership until 2002, when the original owner pleaded with the second owner to save it from being scrapped after his passing. That second owner took the car only because he wanted to give the dying PO some peace of mind in his final days.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                            1963 Cruiser
                            1960 Larkvertible V8
                            1958 Provincial wagon
                            1953 Commander coupe
                            1957 President two door

Comment

If anyones kids 14-30 got ahold of the car even for a few hours theres a good chance it got airborne. I've always said if you can make it thru your 20s you have a chance to live to be 60s or more.
                              lucky to be alive clonelark
                              101st Airborne Div. 326 Engineers Ft Campbell Ky.

Comment

Working...
                              X