Strange owners manual, maybe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strange owners manual, maybe?

I purchased an owners manual on Ebay for our '53 Commander. It's in excellent condition and I did a quick look thru and put it away. Today I took a closer look and there are some strange things. On the front it says "1953 Studebaker Commander" and near the bottom "English" Inside it says The Studebaker Corporation, Export Division, South Bend, Indiana"

It also only includes operating and maintenance specs for a manual transmission. Nothing about an automatic whatsoever.

What sort of manual do I have. What cars was it issued with? Did Studebaker only export some models with manual transmissions?

sigpic

I got one as well; from Richard Quinn off Ebay.
    Intended for models exported to Oz, England, South Africa, etc.
    Don't know about the transmission thing.
    Brad Johnson,
    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

I dont see anything on automatic trans in my 53 champion manual either. For some reason I believe there was a seperate manual for the automatic trans. Steve
      sigpic

Comment

quote:Originally posted by wolfie

I dont see anything on automatic trans in my 53 champion manual either. For some reason I believe there was a seperate manual for the automatic trans. Steve
        Yes, there certainly WAS!

StudeRich at Studebakers Northwest -Ferndale,WA
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

So I have an export manual. Well that's not what I intended to buy. And now I need both a domestic manual and a automatic transmission manual. Anyone looking for an export manual let me know.

sigpic

Comment

As stated above, the export manuals state the language on the cover, the domestic manuals do not include this. In the past, I have mentioned this on the Forum and to Richard Quinn in reference to his eBay listings.
            I listed the 1953 AT manual in my answer to you relative to changing your AT fluid. The AT manual is eight pages.
            For your 1953, in addition to Owner's and automatic transmission manuals, you are probably missing; Accessories, radio, Climatizer, Special Care of Chrome Plated Parts "manuals" and the Automatic Drive sleeve for the visor. I don't know if there are others, but these came with the 1953 Commander Starliner that I knew from new and purchased from the original owner.

Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
            Studebaker enthusiast much longer
            Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I have repopped the AT Owners Manual and visor sleeve for the '50-'51 Commanders. Maybe someone could do the same for the '53.

Brad Johnson
              Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
              '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight
              Brad Johnson,
              SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
              Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
              '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
              '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Working...
              X