• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• car imort from canada

has any one bought a car from Canada to the us
    what is the proceedure
    John

Your best bet is to to phone customs where you will be coming across.
    I've heard there are some new restrictions & rules as of late.I do know that it is much easier if you (purchaser) bring it over if you are doing it on your own.A car hauler company will know all the rules.
    If we Canadians bring a car to Canada we have to have the ownership at the border 72hrs. before it is allowed to cross.A receipt from the reg. owner is a must,but we now have to have it appraised as the tax boys want to squeeze every dime from you so the politicians can live a extravagant life style.Ours just gave themselves a 25% raise, I guess I'm just cynical

Comment

Your best bet is to to phone customs where you will be coming across.
      I've heard there are some new restrictions & rules as of late.I do know that it is much easier if you (purchaser) bring it over if you are doing it on your own.A car hauler company will know all the rules.
      If we Canadians bring a car to Canada we have to have the ownership at the border 72hrs. before it is allowed to cross.A receipt from the reg. owner is a must,but we now have to have it appraised as the tax boys want to squeeze every dime from you so the politicians can live a extravagant life style.Ours just gave themselves a 25% raise, I guess I'm just cynical

Comment

Actually you can really save yourself alot of hassle if the seller and buyer are both at the US customs together.

HOME of THE FRIED GREEN TOMATO
        sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

Actually you can really save yourself alot of hassle if the seller and buyer are both at the US customs together.

sigpic

Comment

When I sold my Hawk last fall to the people in Iowa it went very smoothly. They wire transferred the funds, I faxed them copies of the registration (title) and bill of sale so they could get the ball rolling ASAP, then mailed them the real documents by express post.
            They hired a shipper (Sea Rail) and it took about two weeks for them to come and pick up the car. It was about another two weeks before it landed in their yard.
            A shipper who is licesend to do cross border shipments can tell you all you need to know.

Comment

When I sold my Hawk last fall to the people in Iowa it went very smoothly. They wire transferred the funds, I faxed them copies of the registration (title) and bill of sale so they could get the ball rolling ASAP, then mailed them the real documents by express post.
              They hired a shipper (Sea Rail) and it took about two weeks for them to come and pick up the car. It was about another two weeks before it landed in their yard.
              A shipper who is licesend to do cross border shipments can tell you all you need to know.

Comment

I did it yesterday. Bought a car in British Columbia and brought it to Washington State. Piece of cake (as long as it's Stude vintage...may be tougher with a car that needs to meet US EPA and other regs).

Assuming you are picking up the car in Canada and driving or trailering it home...

Get the Vehicle Registration form from the seller. Make sure they have signed it on the appropriate line. Get a completed Bill of Sale (signed by both the buyer and the seller AND with a witness signature. The seller and I completed these forms at the Insurance Agency with their assistance when I picked the car up. Canada doesn't have DMV offices. The Insurance Companies handle all driver's licensing, car licensing, and insurance (great system!).

No advance notice needed at the US boarder (nor would it do any good). You declare the purchase at the boarder crossing. US Customs has you park and go in the building where they complete an "Entry Summary" and verify the serial number of the Stude. It will take 15 minutes to 45 minutes depending upon how busy they are at the time you come across.

You'll need the bill of sale and the registration when you go to register the car in your home state.

email me if you want any more details, but it is JUST that simple
                [8D]

Dick Steinkamp
                Bellingham, WA
                Dick Steinkamp
                Bellingham, WA

Comment

I did it yesterday. Bought a car in British Columbia and brought it to Washington State. Piece of cake (as long as it's Stude vintage...may be tougher with a car that needs to meet US EPA and other regs).

Assuming you are picking up the car in Canada and driving or trailering it home...

Get the Vehicle Registration form from the seller. Make sure they have signed it on the appropriate line. Get a completed Bill of Sale (signed by both the buyer and the seller AND with a witness signature. The seller and I completed these forms at the Insurance Agency with their assistance when I picked the car up. Canada doesn't have DMV offices. The Insurance Companies handle all driver's licensing, car licensing, and insurance (great system!).

No advance notice needed at the US boarder (nor would it do any good). You declare the purchase at the boarder crossing. US Customs has you park and go in the building where they complete an "Entry Summary" and verify the serial number of the Stude. It will take 15 minutes to 45 minutes depending upon how busy they are at the time you come across.

You'll need the bill of sale and the registration when you go to register the car in your home state.

email me if you want any more details, but it is JUST that simple
                  [8D]

Dick Steinkamp
                  Bellingham, WA
                  Dick Steinkamp
                  Bellingham, WA

Comment

" Canada doesn't have DMV offices. The Insurance Companies handle all driver's licensing, car licensing, and insurance (great system!)"

That must be true in BC, Dick,but it sure isn't in Nova Scotia or New Brunswick. We have DMV offices. I was just at one to renew my drivers license.

Comment

" Canada doesn't have DMV offices. The Insurance Companies handle all driver's licensing, car licensing, and insurance (great system!)"

That must be true in BC, Dick,but it sure isn't in Nova Scotia or New Brunswick. We have DMV offices. I was just at one to renew my drivers license.

Comment

BC is the only province like that . Actually its the province that runs the insurance out there.

sigpic

Comment

BC is the only province like that . Actually its the province that runs the insurance out there.

sigpic

Comment

I have only brought tractors (Cockshutt's and Oliver's) from Canada to the U.S. I have mostly used a LTL carrier based here in Richmond that is owned by a friend of mine. They worked in conjunction with a customs broker to get it across.

I also had an OC-6 crawler brought into New York by ferry from Canada in a driving blizzard. The driver was instructed to go inside to iron things out. He went inside, visited the restroom, waited a bit, came back out and waived to the guard and drove off. It worked for him but I do not recommend others try it.

Guido Salvage - "Where rust is beautiful"

Studebaker horse drawn buggy; 1946 M-16 fire truck; 1948 M-16 grain truck; 1949 2R16A grain truck; 1949 2R17A fire truck; 1950 2R5 pickup; 1952 2R17A grain truck; 1952 Packard 200 4 door; 1955 E-38 grain truck; 1957 3E-40 flatbed; 1961 6E-28 grain truck; 1962 7E-13D 4x4 rack truck; 1962 7E-7 Champ pickup; 1962 GT Hawk 4 speed; 1963 8E-28 flatbed; 1964 Avanti R2 4 speed; 1964 Cruiser and various other "treasures".

Hiding and preserving Studebakers in Richmond, Goochland & Louisa, Va.

Comment

I have only brought tractors (Cockshutt's and Oliver's) from Canada to the U.S. I have mostly used a LTL carrier based here in Richmond that is owned by a friend of mine. They worked in conjunction with a customs broker to get it across.

I also had an OC-6 crawler brought into New York by ferry from Canada in a driving blizzard. The driver was instructed to go inside to iron things out. He went inside, visited the restroom, waited a bit, came back out and waived to the guard and drove off. It worked for him but I do not recommend others try it.

Guido Salvage - "Where rust is beautiful"

Studebaker horse drawn buggy; 1946 M-16 fire truck; 1948 M-16 grain truck; 1949 2R16A grain truck; 1949 2R17A fire truck; 1950 2R5 pickup; 1952 2R17A grain truck; 1952 Packard 200 4 door; 1955 E-38 grain truck; 1957 3E-40 flatbed; 1961 6E-28 grain truck; 1962 7E-13D 4x4 rack truck; 1962 7E-7 Champ pickup; 1962 GT Hawk 4 speed; 1963 8E-28 flatbed; 1964 Avanti R2 4 speed; 1964 Cruiser and various other "treasures".

Hiding and preserving Studebakers in Richmond, Goochland & Louisa, Va.

Comment

Working...
                              X