Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Avanti Radios more trivia

quote:Originally posted by herbpcpa
    Were all the Avantis factory equipped with AM/FM radios 1964 (updated interior) models?
    I highly doubt that at all. In 1964, many rural areas didn't have FM broadcasting, and the cost difference over a standard AM radio was rather significant back then. One thing I've never seen, though, is an Avanti radio delete plate...

Craig

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 8E45E

Were all the Avantis factory equipped with AM/FM radios 1964 (updated interior) models?
      I highly doubt that at all. In 1964, many rural areas didn't have FM broadcasting, and the cost difference over a standard AM radio was rather significant back then. One thing I've never seen, though, is an Avanti radio delete plate...
      All '64 Avantis WERE NOT equipped with AM-FM radios. It remained an option to the end. When I ordered my '64 Wagonaire the AM-FM was about $35 more as I recall. The dealer through it in for the AM price because he hadn't seen one yet.
      I have a '63 Avanti delete plate (only one I've ever seen).

Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia. '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Daytona convertible, '53 Commander Starliner, Museum R-4 engine, '62 Gravely Model L, '72 Gravely Model 430

Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
      '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Maybe the last sentence in my original posting is not worded very well. We know some Avantis came out of the factory with AM/FM radios. Did that happen to both 1964 and 1963 Avantis?

Comment

Maybe the last sentence in my original posting is not worded very well. We know some Avantis came out of the factory with AM/FM radios. Did that happen to both 1964 and 1963 Avantis?
          From past threads, it seems that AM/FM was an option beginning in 1964.

63 Avanti R1 2788
          1914 Stutz Bearcat
          (George Barris replica)

Washington State
          63 Avanti R1 2788
          1914 Stutz Bearcat
          (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

Years ago I did extensive research in the original Studebaker Avanti production orders. I found that of the 809 1964 regular production Avantis made, 106 came from the factory with AM-FM radios. Of course, many dealers and owners installed an AM-FM at some time after the car was made. Avanti R-4851 was the first '64 model factory-equipped with an AM-FM. I also found several Avantis that were ordered with optional rear speaker but no radio! Years later, many people removed the original radio from their car and installed an aftermarket item, but in 1963, that was rather unusual.

No 1963 Avantis were factory-built with AM-FM radio.

George

george krem
            george krem

Comment

And the tilt steering wheel was put in 1964 model Avantis only, correct? No 1963 Avanti was shipped with tilt steering wheel?

Comment

quote:Originally posted by R3 challenger
                I also found several Avantis that were ordered with optional rear speaker but no radio!
                I have actually seen that done before at a Ford dealership a number of years ago. They were often shipped 'audio ready' with the speakers installed, but the radio, be it a standard AM, AM/FM, 8-track, etc. was installed by the dealer at the point-of-sale. I'm sure they must have had a boxfull or two of radio delete plates after a few years.[:0]

Craig

Comment

I have a delete for a 63-4 GT. One or the other. jimmijim
                  sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

Here's a late '64 Avanti with both an AM-FM and a tilt wheel (you have to really blow it up to see the AM-FM)

Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia. '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Daytona convertible, '53 Commander Starliner, Museum R-4 engine, '62 Gravely Model L, '72 Gravely Model 430

Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
                    '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

I would love to have that Avanti except it is an automatic and not a four speed. Actually I would consider it if it had A/C. Guess I'm 45 years late to order out one the way I want it.

Comment

Guess I'm 45 years late to order out one the way I want it.
                        Wait long enough and the perfect car will come along...even in your favorite color.
                        Just don't wait [u]too</u> long, Avanti prices are about to spike...(trying to start a rumor...)

63 Avanti R1 2788
                        1914 Stutz Bearcat
                        (George Barris replica)

Washington State
                        63 Avanti R1 2788
                        1914 Stutz Bearcat
                        (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

You could not get A/C on an R2 Avanti from the factory.

Comment

Studebaker Avantis could only be ordered with one of two blowers. One blew cool air into the passenger compartmnet the other blew air into the carburator. No room under the hood for both.

Richard

Comment

Studebaker Avantis could only be ordered with one of two blowers. One blew cool air into the passenger compartmnet the other blew air into the carburator. No room under the hood for both.

Richard

Comment

Working...
                              X