PDA

View Full Version : Split Brakes

62beater
08-18-2006, 11:35 PM
I would like to put a split master cylinder in my 62 lark, and I have a 64 parts car w/ split brakes and I know I need acuating rod, but do I need to change the pedal brackets and pedals , because I recall reading something in the shop manual about how 64's dont have a freeplay stop???

studeclunker
08-20-2006, 11:32 AM
Actually you're getting ahead of yourself. First look at both cars. You'll notice more similarities than you might think. The pedals in both cars are of the suspended type. So no, you won't have to do anything about them. The mounting is the same for the MC so, no that's going to be easy too. As for the installation and conversion, that's easy as well. The process is just time and patience consuming.

You will need two things from the '64. The plug for the fluid junction and the master cylinder with it's actuating rod.

If your MC is located on the firewall, you're in luck. The arrangement for it is the same between both years. Please buy a new brake line for the rear brakes from one of the suppliers. An old one isn't a good selection in this case. Studebaker International or SASCO will have it in stock. The whole thing would be best. Or just from the MC down to the first connection.

disconnect the hose from the bottom of the MC. Make sure you have something to catch the brake fluid. Disconnect and remove the MC. Install the new one (don't forget to reconnect the pedal). The old line will now serve for your front brakes only. Install it in the proper location on the MC (front). Install your new line in the rear position for your rear brakes. Remove and plug the old rear brake line located in the junction directly below on the frame (this is where your '64 plug goes). This line leads to a connection on the frame directly under the centre pillar of your car. Disconnect it, carefully. It won't be easy.[}:)] It will be easy to break it, so be careful.;) once the old is out the new goes in. clip the new line to the same clips that held in the old one you have removed.

Now, bleed, bleed, bleed! I hate this part.:(

That's just about all there is to it. As for freeplay, I don't think you will need to worry about it.:D

Please, if anyone sees where I've made a mistake in this, point it out! I'll need to correct it on my car too![:I]:D

Lotsa Larks!
K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
Ron Smith

hank63
08-21-2006, 03:53 AM
Well, Ron, what's wrong with bleeding the brakes? It's about the only time my old lady is useful in the garage! And, it's the one and only service/repair task she's prepared to help with.
/H

studeclunker
08-21-2006, 09:11 PM
Cause I don't have an 'old lady' (or any other description) around to help. Besides, I hate bleeding brakes anyway. Don't ask why, just hate it.

Lotsa Larks!
K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
Ron Smith

Cruiser64
08-21-2006, 10:22 PM
ah...now that we are on the topic..

My '64 Cruiser power brakes with the single cylinder of death are
really starting to scare me. I did a complete rebuild oh, 5 years ago now; new rebuilt booster, new rebuilt MC, new lines, new WC's, rebuilt calipers etc. Now that single MC always made me a little jumpy so I'v been worrying over maybe swapping to a split MC, only I have never been able to find the TQ on the swap, if its up to me I will loose the power booster, go back to manual split disk/drum set up like on my mopars. [}:)] Works, firm pedal, one less thing to sweat. what brought this on was bake fluid pouring out between the booster and MC so it looks like I am in for the repair anyway.
If this has been covered in a past forum please point me to it and
keep up the good work. the tech talk has been a god send for me. RR

StudeRich
08-21-2006, 11:28 PM
RR; MUCH better to start a new post, my reason is this. This post is about a '62 Lark single master cylinder with drum brakes!:D NOT EVEN CLOSE to a Disc. brake equipped car, and the answers will get too wierd! My advice from driving these cars 45 years - leave it alone, except repair it! Also: Studebaker Front Disc. brakes will not apply without a booster!

quote:Originally posted by Cruiser64

ah...now that we are on the topic..

My '64 Cruiser power brakes with the single cylinder of death are
really starting to scare me. I did a complete rebuild oh, 5 years ago now; new rebuilt booster, new rebuilt MC, new lines, new WC's, rebuilt calipers etc. Now that single MC always made me a little jumpy so I'v been worrying over maybe swapping to a split MC, only I have never been able to find the TQ on the swap, if its up to me I will loose the power booster, go back to manual split disk/drum set up like on my mopars. [}:)] Works, firm pedal, one less thing to sweat. what brought this on was bake fluid pouring out between the booster and MC so it looks like I am in for the repair anyway.
If this has been covered in a past forum please point me to it and
keep up the good work. the tech talk has been a god send for me. RR

StudeRich
Studebakers Northwest
Ferndale, WA