Rear end swap for a 64 Lark Type?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear end swap for a 64 Lark Type?

Other than a Dana 44, does anyone know if any other rear end is a fairly easy swap into a 64 Lark type? I currently have a Dana 27. What about an S10 rear end?
    Thanks
    Todd

63 Lark 2dr Sedan
    64 Daytona 4dr Sedan

With a Dana 44 being a bolt in, I've never considered doing a bunch of extra work to swap in a weaker rear like a S10.

JDP
    Arnold Md.
    Studebaker On The Net

My Ebay Items

64 GT hawk
    64 Commander 2 dr.
    63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk (Black) #2
    63 Avanti R1
    63 Daytona convert
    63 Lark 2 door
    63 Lark 2 door #2
    62 Lark 2 door
    60 Hawk
    59 3E truck
    52 Starliner
    51 Commander

JDP Maryland

Comment

Finding a Dana 44 up here is a bit of a challenge esp with flanged axles (I know I could convert an earlier axle but thats another $400 U.S).

Todd

63 Lark 2dr Sedan
      64 Daytona 4dr Sedan

Comment

IMHO you'll spend more money swaping in a Brand X rear end than you will bolting in another Stude rear end. Cutting and welding on spring perches, adapting drive lines, making the brand X brakes work with your fronts, changing wheel stud patterns, and setting pinion angle are operations that are prone to error and can cause you big headaches in addition to the money part.

I don't know what kind of power you have, but a Dana 44 will take quite a bit of HP. I have the stock Dana 44 (keyed axles) and 2 piece drive shaft in my '54 hot rod (327 Chevy, 4 speed). No probs (yet ) and I don't exactly baby it...

If you just want to change from the keyed axles to flanged axles, I believe SASCO still has NOS flanged axle Dana 27 rear ends at give away prices.

Dick Steinkamp
        Bellingham, WA
        Dick Steinkamp
        Bellingham, WA

Comment

I didn't know SASCO still had Dana 27's. It's for my 6 cyl auto car so I dont need overkill. I plan to take a trip to SASCO in the Spring. I better make more room on my credit card...
          Todd

63 Lark 2dr Sedan
          64 Daytona 4dr Sedan

Comment

Todd, I need to call you...sorry been busy..I've got the parts for your 27 as well as the others....don't go nuts spending..I'll call ya..Wes

Still working to restore my 62 Lark in South Bend, Indiana
            Making resverations at the poor house parking lot for me and my 62 Lark..

Comment

Okee Dokee Wes.
              Todd

63 Lark 2dr Sedan
              64 Daytona 4dr Sedan

Comment

Working...
              X