Bushing replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bushing replacement

Can the bushings be replaced in the upper and lower control arms without removing the shocks and the coils first? Never did this before but it needs to be done. It is a 64 Cruiser with PS.

I've seen the lower inners done, while on the car, but never the upper inners

Bob Johnstone

64 GT Hawk
    55 President State Sedan
    70 Avanti (R3)
    64 GT Hawk (K7)
    1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

I won't even do it without removing the "doghouse"...

Ray

Specializing in Studebaker Restoration
      Ray

www.raylinrestoration.com

Comment

I know you are well versed in Studes Ray, but why for remove the dog house. besides easier access. Do you not like dogs. I must have done it the difficult way. I'll admit it aint that easy but A Stude doesn't seem to be any more work than any GM of the era. jimmijim
        sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

Hey SC,
          I'm responding as an encourager. The removal of upper and lower control arm asssemblies are not as difficult as the shop manual may make it out to be. I've also replaced bushings on the car and it is more labor intensive and more difficult than completely removing the whole assemblies. It's possible to do the tops, but the difficulty is removing the old ones, course I only know enough to be dangerous. I use an air chisel upper and lower, which is about the only way to get them out on the car or off. The big trick to bushing removal and installation on the car is managing the weight and spring pressure. You also have to jack up the assembly at the king pin to help with pressure.It takes 2 people, one with a bar to move "A" arms around and the other to try and get bushings started in.
          I completey bath bushings with grease. You can pull bushings in with a longer than stock bolt, but risk over pulling or stripping threads on the bar, this will show up when torquing the bolts.
          The removal of "A" arms, in my opion, is made easier by using a good coil spring compressor. I believe a novice can do it, it only looks scary. I've done several over the years and just did my 66 Daytona back in March. I know others have different methods, but I'm po boy so I do things low tech fashion.
          All this to say, grit your teeth, decide who's gonna win, 64 Studebaker or you. You CAN do it.
          If I can be of any help to ya, give me a call,my email is down, and I'll walk ya through it.
          Hope this helps,
          Kim
          517-960-5832
          don't hit me too hard

Comment

Just thinking out loud, but if I'm going to pull the control arms, I'd just overhaul the entire suspension unless you feel the cost is just too great.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            Tom - Mulberry, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2125.60)

Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
            1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

quote:Originally posted by jimmijim8

I know you are well versed in Studes Ray, but why for remove the dog house. besides easier access.
              I have never seen a car with bad inner bushings...that didn't need kingpin and outer bushing rebuild. This is the most classic case of "might-as-wells". You will find NO easier time to replace all the outer stuff... as when you HAVE TO replace the inners.

quote:I must have done it the difficult way. I'll admit it aint that easy ..."
              Just think of what you went through with the fenders on... then think of what it would have been like with the fenders off???
              The doghouse is 17 bolts and some wiring... and draining the radiator.
              With it out of the way... there is a myriad of things one can take care of.

Rewrap the wiring harness
              Check/clean the steering box (especially a Ross)
              Check/replace freeze plugs
              Clean and Detail engine
              Clean and detail firewall
              Install hood insulator
              Flush Radiator and Block
              EZ Water pump, Front Timing Cover seal, fuel pump, Motor Mounts, etc.. access

Ray

Ray

www.raylinrestoration.com

Comment

What Kim said - it's not as hard as it sounds when you're reading the manual. FWIW, I dropped the springs by putting a floor jack under the kingpin, undoing the top and bottom kingpin bolts, and then easing off the jack so the spring expanded slowly. Just be sure and wrap a chain through the coil and around the frame like the pix on Ray's web pages show.

[img=left]http://members.cox.net/clarknovak/lark.gif[/img=left]

Clark in San Diego
                '63 F2/Lark Standard

The Official Website of the San Diego Chapter of the Studebaker Drivers Club. Serving San Diego County

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

If you remove the doghouse, you can round file the upper front frame mount hole so that you can gain more positive caster. File the outer edge about 1/16" so that the aframe can kick the top of the spindle rearward.

Comment

Thanks,all. I think I'll attempt it with the fenders removed. As was stated, I can also do a lot of other things during that time. Now, to put together a parts list for a suspension rebuild and start ordering. By the time I gather the cash for all the parts the cruise season will be over. Guess I'll do my part and help Sasco.

Comment

What Buddymander said,I did that on a 65 Cruiser that gave me front tire wear problems back in the early 90s.egged out the holes and once back together I drove that car another 5 years and the tires wore out straight across the board."oh and ya it was easier for me because I pulled the front clip off"

Joseph R. Zeiger
                      Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

Sent ya a PM a few days ago, any interest in my offer?
                        Kim

Comment

Kamzack, tried to send you a reply but it got kicked back. Just returned from Cadillac and have to go back again tomorrow. Will get with you next Tuesday. Is your email down?

Comment

Hey SC,
                            Yes, email is down, I'm having difficulty getting through to EM tech folk, so I'm email sidelined. Sorry bout that. Give me a call anytime. I live about a mile west of Tecumseh.
                            Kim
                            517-960-5832
                            quote:Originally posted by studecruiser

Kamzack, tried to send you a reply but it got kicked back. Just returned from Cadillac and have to go back again tomorrow. Will get with you next Tuesday. Is your email down?

Comment

quote:Originally posted by studecruiser

Comment

Working...
                              X