Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what is the metal gauge for fenders and ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what is the metal gauge for fenders and ???

What is the sheet metal gauge-thickness for body parts, body mounts, and anything else ???

Before, or after rusting?
    Grab your micrometer!

quote:Originally posted by bradnree

What is the sheet metal gauge-thickness for body parts, body mounts, and anything else ???

DEEPNHOCK at Gmail.com
    Brooklet, Georgia
    '37 Coupe Express (never ending project)
    '37 Coupe Express Trailer (project)
    '61 Hawk (project)
    http://community.webshots.com/user/deepnhock

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Isn't that the truth. I measured the hood thickness at about 1/16" of an inch and at the rusted areas paper thin....Brad

Comment

quote:Originally posted by bradnree

Comment

Don't qoute me on this, but for some reason I seem to remember most sheet metal being something like 20 guage. I believe the outfit that sells all the patch panels uses 18 guage, I do know it's thicker. Without measuring, I'd say metal such as the horizontal bracket that connects the front of the front fender to the frame rail as being something like 10 guage. I used to put up lots of grain bins and to give you an idea of weight, each section of a ring is approximately 27 square feet. One man could carry an 18 gauge easy enough by himself while it was all two men could do to carry an 8 guage.

Comment

I micrometered a hawk fender today in a realitive unrusted area. It comes out to 18 gauge actually.

Comment

It seems body panels are 18 gauge and anything needing real strength is thicker....brad

Comment

Working...
              X