This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Forum Member looking for car

After owning a '63 Avanti for the last few years and having owned several Studebakers many years ago, I find myself looking for a nice 1951 4dr sedan. I don't really know what the differences are between a Champion, Commander, or Land Cruiser......except trim levels and wheelbase. Is there more?
    If any one knows of a car for sale, preferably in the North East, please E-mail me direct at: BOBCARNUT@aol.com. I live in Williamsville, NY....just outside of Buffalo.
    Thanks in advance for any information!

Bob Lerch
    63R1-304

Bob,

With the advent of V-8 engines in 1951 Studebaker made numerous upgrades to their vehicles including the platforms they rode on. 1951 is considered to be the first year of the "modern" chassis.

As you point out, there were differences between the three models cited. The Champions and Commanders were similar, but the Champs retained the 170 CID motor while the Commanders moved from the 245 CID big 6 to V-8 motors. The Land Cruiser was the top of the line model and rode on an extended wheelbase.

Good luck in your search (and let me know if you find an extra ).

Guido Salvage - "Where rust is beautiful"

Studebaker horse drawn buggy; 1946 M-16 fire truck; 1948 M-16 grain truck; 1949 2R16A grain truck; 1949 2R17A fire truck; 1950 2R5 pickup; 1952 2R17A grain truck; 1952 Packard 200 4 door; 1955 E-38 grain truck; 1957 3E-40 flatbed; 1961 6E-28 grain truck; 1962 7E-13D 4x4 rack truck; 1962 7E-7 Champ pickup; 1962 GT Hawk 4 speed; 1963 8E-28 flatbed; 1964 Avanti R2 4 speed; 1964 Cruiser and various other "treasures".

Hiding and preserving Studebakers in Richmond, Goochland & Louisa, Va.

Comment

Bob,

With the advent of V-8 engines in 1951 Studebaker made numerous upgrades to their vehicles including the platforms they rode on. 1951 is considered to be the first year of the "modern" chassis.

As you point out, there were differences between the three models cited. The Champions and Commanders were similar, but the Champs retained the 170 CID motor while the Commanders moved from the 245 CID big 6 to V-8 motors. The Land Cruiser was the top of the line model and rode on an extended wheelbase.

Good luck in your search (and let me know if you find an extra ).

Guido Salvage - "Where rust is beautiful"

Studebaker horse drawn buggy; 1946 M-16 fire truck; 1948 M-16 grain truck; 1949 2R16A grain truck; 1949 2R17A fire truck; 1950 2R5 pickup; 1952 2R17A grain truck; 1952 Packard 200 4 door; 1955 E-38 grain truck; 1957 3E-40 flatbed; 1961 6E-28 grain truck; 1962 7E-13D 4x4 rack truck; 1962 7E-7 Champ pickup; 1962 GT Hawk 4 speed; 1963 8E-28 flatbed; 1964 Avanti R2 4 speed; 1964 Cruiser and various other "treasures".

Hiding and preserving Studebakers in Richmond, Goochland & Louisa, Va.

Comment

The Champions and Commanders would look identical, other than the engines and the model script, and were usually available in three progressive trim packages. The Land Cruiser shared the Commander V-8, came with maximum trim and appointments and is easily identified by the presence of rear door vent windows.

Brad Johnson
        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
        33 Rockne 10
        51 Commander Starlight
        53 Commander Starlight

previously: 63 Cruiser, 62 Regal VI, 60 VI convertible, 50 LandCruiser
        Brad Johnson,
        SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
        '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
        '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

The Champions and Commanders would look identical, other than the engines and the model script, and were usually available in three progressive trim packages. The Land Cruiser shared the Commander V-8, came with maximum trim and appointments and is easily identified by the presence of rear door vent windows.

Brad Johnson
          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
          33 Rockne 10
          51 Commander Starlight
          53 Commander Starlight

previously: 63 Cruiser, 62 Regal VI, 60 VI convertible, 50 LandCruiser
          Brad Johnson,
          SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
          '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
          '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

quote:The Land Cruiser shared the Commander V-8, came with maximum trim and appointments and is easily identified by the presence of rear door vent windows.
            and four extra inches in the wheelbase...

StudeDave [8D]
            V/P San Diego County SDC
            San Diego, Ca

'54 Commander 4dr 'Ruby'
            '57 Parkview (it's a 2dr wagon...) 'Betsy'
            '57 Commander 2dr 'Baby'
            '57 Champion 2dr 'Jewel'
            '58 Packard sedan 'Cleo'
            '65 Cruiser 'Sweet Pea'
            StudeDave '57
            US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
            SDC Member since 1985

past President
            Whatcom County Chapter SDC
            San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
            San Diego Chapter SDC
            North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

quote:The Land Cruiser shared the Commander V-8, came with maximum trim and appointments and is easily identified by the presence of rear door vent windows.
              and four extra inches in the wheelbase...

StudeDave [8D]
              V/P San Diego County SDC
              San Diego, Ca

'54 Commander 4dr 'Ruby'
              '57 Parkview (it's a 2dr wagon...) 'Betsy'
              '57 Commander 2dr 'Baby'
              '57 Champion 2dr 'Jewel'
              '58 Packard sedan 'Cleo'
              '65 Cruiser 'Sweet Pea'
              StudeDave '57
              US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
              SDC Member since 1985

past President
              Whatcom County Chapter SDC
              San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
              San Diego Chapter SDC
              North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

The Land Cruiser was the top of the line car by Studebaker. All sorts of high end accessories and the quality was phenomenal on those cars. We're storing a '48 Land Cruiser here for someone, and that thing is like a battleship. It rides as good as our '71 Caddy rag top, and a lot more stylish.
                The Land Cruisers are great cars. Even for a 4 door, you can't go wrong.[8D] (not $$$ wise neccesarily...[xx(])

Matthew Burnette
                Hazlehurst, Georgia
                '59 Scotsman PU
                '63 Daytona HT

Blogger is a blog publishing tool from Google for easily sharing your thoughts with the world. Blogger makes it simple to post text, photos and video onto your personal or team blog.

Comment

The Land Cruiser was the top of the line car by Studebaker. All sorts of high end accessories and the quality was phenomenal on those cars. We're storing a '48 Land Cruiser here for someone, and that thing is like a battleship. It rides as good as our '71 Caddy rag top, and a lot more stylish.
                  The Land Cruisers are great cars. Even for a 4 door, you can't go wrong.[8D] (not $$$ wise neccesarily...[xx(])

Matthew Burnette
                  Hazlehurst, Georgia
                  '59 Scotsman PU
                  '63 Daytona HT

Blogger is a blog publishing tool from Google for easily sharing your thoughts with the world. Blogger makes it simple to post text, photos and video onto your personal or team blog.

Comment

"It rides as good as our '71 Caddy rag top" [:0]!!! Imagine that! And this with those antique, unforgiving, metal-to-metal bushings on the front suspension!!! Surely you can feel every little crack in the pavement![}]

Matthew - are you SURE you've actually ridden in this car???

Miscreant adrift in
                    the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                    1960 Larkvertible V8
                    1958 Provincial wagon
                    1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

"It rides as good as our '71 Caddy rag top" [:0]!!! Imagine that! And this with those antique, unforgiving, metal-to-metal bushings on the front suspension!!! Surely you can feel every little crack in the pavement![}]

Matthew - are you SURE you've actually ridden in this car???

Miscreant adrift in
                      the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                      1960 Larkvertible V8
                      1958 Provincial wagon
                      1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Well Biggs, I drove it just after getting out of my '59 truck, so the effect could have been dramatized a bit. But it still has a smooth ride.

Matthew Burnette
                        Hazlehurst, Georgia
                        '59 Scotsman PU
                        '63 Daytona HT

Comment

Well Biggs, I drove it just after getting out of my '59 truck, so the effect could have been dramatized a bit. But it still has a smooth ride.

Matthew Burnette
                          Hazlehurst, Georgia
                          '59 Scotsman PU
                          '63 Daytona HT

Comment

I fully agree with Matthew, Idrove the LC and I own the ElDoragtop. I would trade it for the land cruiser in a heartbeat. If I could get grandma to go along with it NT

Neil Thornton
                            Hazlehurst, GA
                            '57 Silver Hawk
                            '56 Sky Hawk
                            '51 2R16 dump truck
                            Many others.

Neil Thornton

Comment

I fully agree with Matthew, Idrove the LC and I own the ElDoragtop. I would trade it for the land cruiser in a heartbeat. If I could get grandma to go along with it NT

Neil Thornton
                              Hazlehurst, GA
                              '57 Silver Hawk
                              '56 Sky Hawk
                              '51 2R16 dump truck
                              Many others.

Neil Thornton

Comment

Working...
                              X