Avanti values...2009

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Avanti values...2009

Just received my Sports Car Market 2009 price guide and there is good news for Avanti owners.
    No, the values for a #2 car: Low 20K, High 28K haven't gone up.

But unlike most American muscle cars...they didn't go down.
    Many cars are showing a 10-30% drop in values over last year.
    In life we need to be thankful for small favors.

In a "Cars to watch" article, Rob Sass names the 63 Avanti. I'll paraphrase....
    He said the fact that it's still being touted as undervalued is sad...it has all the hallmarks (looks, famous designer, interior and mechanical features, small production, etc.) of a car that should be higher in the collector car pecking order.
    He says he grew up with Avantis and like them, but their looks are polarizing and that's why they aren't more expensive. (I hope it hasn't taken him this long to figure that out. One look at the car will tell you some will love it, others ...well, not so much). Still, if you like them, he recommends buying a good one with either a SC or AC.

My summary...if you like them and don't go nuts restoring one, and keep it healthy, you may not make much money when the time comes to sell it, but you probably won't lose much either.

63 Avanti R1 2788
    1914 Stutz Bearcat
    (George Barris replica)

Washington State
    63 Avanti R1 2788
    1914 Stutz Bearcat
    (George Barris replica)

Washington State

I think it is more fun when you buy a hobby car because you really enjoy it, having one eye towards value is almost boorish to me. I'm sure you don't mean it that way, I just try to remember that this is a hobby. Working on old cars is part idiot therapy for me.

I didn't buy my Avanti as an investment or hedge against inflation. There is no question that when I am "done" with all I have planned for the car that I will be seriously underwater vs. the "value." I don't care. Whatever the car is worth is the farthest thing from my mind. The fact of the matter is that I totally dig the car: its fun to look at it, bring it to shows, make improvements to its condition, - and I love driving it!

My plan is a slow motion restoration, where I pick a few areas to work on each year. I'm moving up the show ladder: it was a display non-judged car, then it made third place, then a second place - now I'm gunning for a first place award (not going to happen this year). After that I want to strip it down and go really nuts with a frame off restoration. I'll do a few shows after that - and then I want to drive the wheels off the car. I know that driving a car is a sure way to wreck a restoration, but driving the car is the best part. I'm not going to preserve it and save it for the "next" owner. Nope, that will be me behind the wheel as it cruises down the highway and melts the tires at the dragstrip.

Thomas

Long time hot rodder
    Packrat junk collector
    '63 Avanti R2 4 speed

Comment

Don't get me wrong, I'm not in this deal to make (or park) money.
      If I bought the car as an investment, I'd be crazy. There are a lot of other cars out there that would be far better investments.

But when you're in the middle of a quality, expensive (in Studebaker terms anyway) restoration, it's nice to know you're not p!ssing your money away.

63 Avanti R1 2788
      1914 Stutz Bearcat
      (George Barris replica)

Washington State
      63 Avanti R1 2788
      1914 Stutz Bearcat
      (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

What's the value range for a #1 recently frame off restored 63 with SC and manual trannie?

<div align="left">John</div id="left">

<div align="left">'63 Avanti, R1, Auto, AC, PW (unrestored)</div id="left">
        sigpic
        John
        63R-2386
        Resto-Mod by Michael Myer

Comment

quote:Originally posted by okc63avanti

What's the value range for a #1 recently frame off restored 63 with SC and manual trannie?
          Just so you know, #1 cars rarely exist. They are NEVER driven, always moved in an enclosed trailer, stored in a climate controlled facility. They have essentially ceased to become an automobile.

#2 cars can be driven 800 miles a year or so. You can eat off the frame of one.

#3 cars are generally the nicest cars you see at major car shows.

Dick Steinkamp
          Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
          Bellingham, WA

Comment

Here is the NADA guide price link and description:

========================
            63 Avanti R2, 4-Speed, 3.73 TT
            Martinez, CA

Comment

The NADA numbers are very close to the SCM guide.
              But a lot of auction Avantis seem to go for less...Silver sold a 63 in #3 condition for $11K recently..

63 Avanti R1 2788
              1914 Stutz Bearcat
              (George Barris replica)

Washington State
              63 Avanti R1 2788
              1914 Stutz Bearcat
              (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

What about the price curve for Avanti 2's ?

Joseph Kastellec
                Joseph Kastellec

Comment

Working...
                X