PDA

View Full Version : Has anybody rebuilt a steering cylinder??

parky
12-20-2006, 11:07 PM
Has anybody installed a rebuild kit in a '62 Hawk steering cylinder?
I'm talking about the power cylinder (part # 1551362) under the radiator.
Does it require special tools?
Does it make more sense to find a rebuilt (or NOS) replacement? Or are they as scarce (and expensive) as I think they will be?
thanks
bob

62 GT Hawk

John Kirchhoff
12-20-2006, 11:34 PM
Get the seal kit and there's really nothing to it other than being hard to get to. I didn't have room to get the ball joint off, so I took the end attached to the frame loose and unscrewed the cylinder shaft from the other end. Count the number of turns to get it off so you can screw it back on the same. Take a very small screw driver and remove the retaining clip from the end of the cylinder. Turn the steering wheel with the engine running to blow the old seal loose, clean things up and put it back together. You'll probably spend more time getting things loose than you will replacing the seal.

StudeRich
12-20-2006, 11:56 PM
Hi Bob; I think you can do this, it is not really that hard. I could have mailed you the Ram Repair Kit with the Headlight switch I sent you, if you had known soon enough! [^]
Rich.

quote:Originally posted by parky

Has anybody installed a rebuild kit in a '62 Hawk steering cylinder?
I'm talking about the power cylinder (part # 1551362) under the radiator.
Does it require special tools?
Does it make more sense to find a rebuilt (or NOS) replacement? Or are they as scarce (and expensive) as I think they will be?
thanks bob

StudeRich
Studebakers Northwest
Ferndale, WA