r1 and r2's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• r1 and r2's

were there any r1 or r2 engines that were installed in late 62 hawks and larks. was 63 the first year of the r series?

1963 was the first year.

Comment

Unless of course it was transplanted. Anythings possible. Do you have one these engines in a 62 ?

sals54
      sals54

Comment

quote:Originally posted by hotrodstude

were there any r1 or r2 engines that were installed in late 62 hawks and larks. was 63 the first year of the r series?
        Logically, there had to be, because developmental work was being done for 1963 models. Whether or not any were shipped and sold with those engines in them would be another matter. They certainly were not regular production options, even for the very last 1962 models built.

Personally, as I have posted here previously, I saw first-hand a 1962 Lark 4-door Indiana State Police Car fitted with an R2 engine. It had been given to the Indiana State Police for evaluation and was being "evaluated" by my father's cousin. He was at our home in Indianapolis in late July or early August 1962, when I was 16 years old and considering a career with The Indiana State Police (sounded cool at the time, you know....)

Dad knew of my Studebaker fanaticism, of course, and asked his cousin to stop by. He was driving what appeared to be a normal, marked 1962 Lark Indiana State Police Car...until he opened the hood. There was a legitimate, top/center blower-mount R2 engine; the installation of which would be a regular production option for 1963.

This is no "I heard it from so-and-so who heard it from so-and-so tale;" I saw it with my own two eyes...and believe me, that's one of the things I'll forget last when/if Alzheimer's sets in! <GGG> BP
        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Working...
        X