PDA

View Full Version : Overdrive Solenoid Oil Seal

fifthave
12-20-2006, 11:22 AM
I have been getting lots of inquiries recently concerning overdrive solenoids that are full of oil and why that happens... so I thought I would share a little insight into the problem. There is a small oil seal inside of the transmission housing where the overdrive solenoid shaft goes thru to connect to the engagement pawl. This oil seal (is number 30 in the illustrated picture page in my overdrive guide book) can be easily damaged if the solenoid is not removed carefully from the transmission. Once this oil seal is damaged oil can flow into the overdrive solenoid and the solenoid quits working.

So be sure that oil seal is in good condtion anytime you remove and replace the solenoid. Make sure you pull the solenoid straight out carefully from the transmission (do not jerk or yank it out) remove it slowly and not at an angle which increases the chances that you could "hook" the seal with the end of the solenoid shaft thus damaging the oil seal If you need to replace the oil seal I have a few on hand. Thanks and I hope this helps solve part of the mystery.

Merry Christmas

Randy
Fifth Avenue Antique Auto Parts

DilloCrafter
12-20-2006, 12:40 PM
Thanks, Randy! That's a good tip, and I'm glad you have some of those oil seals on hand.

Can you give us your website address (maybe just put it in your original message)?

http://rocketdillo.com/studebaker/misc/images/Avacar-hcsdc.gif[/img=left]DilloCrafter

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
[i]The Red-Headed Amazon
Deep in the heart of Texas

41 Frank
12-20-2006, 08:49 PM
Randy's address is: 415 Court Street Clay Center KS. 67432
e-mail:fifthave@oz-0nline.net Phone (785) 632-3450 fax(785) 632-6154
Company name: Fifth Avenue Antique Auto Parts

fifthave
12-21-2006, 10:05 AM
My web address is www.fifthaveinternetgarage.com The oil seals are not on the web site yet but will be by the first of the year I hope. I have to do the picture description thing and get to to my web guy. But in the meantime if anybody needs one just call and I will fix you up....Thanks and Merry christmas...Randy

pdrnec
12-21-2006, 01:43 PM
Dumb question - can the seal be replaced without opening the trans?

If there's anything more important than my ego running around I want it caught and shot now.

fifthave
12-21-2006, 04:23 PM
Yes you can replace the oil seal withoug opening up the transmission, I use a dental pick to go in and hook the oil seal thru the center where the shaft normally goes thru and it should come out pretty easy. I drive the new one in carefully using a 7/16 deep well socket. You may loose a little trans oil but if you have everything ready the loss will be miminal. I then put a tiny dab of grease onto the center of the seal where the shaft goes thru. It makes sure the solenoid shaft slides in easy... and you should be in good shape for a while.....