Cowl Tag / VIN breakdown

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cowl Tag / VIN breakdown

I am new to this forum...Hello. I am a diehard AMC guy and my Dad was the Studebaker nut. I currently have my 1970 Mark Donohue Javelin as well as this Studebaker.
    I aqquired this vehicle from my Dad who passed away in 2007 and I am now finally feeling a little better about taking over his car. He has had this vehicle for quite some time and I have worked on it over the years.

Anyway..I'm trying to find out if I have an authentic car here...maybe someone can help. here goes.

1963 Daytona Wagon with sliding roof. Black with red interior.

VIN = 63V34040
    Cowl Tag = 63V-P8 along with a suplemental tag attached reading
    4 SFD

Block ID is JTS 1687

Its a R2 supercharged 289, Manual 4 speed and a posi rear end.

I can dig for more info If someone tells me where to look.

Thanks guys....

David,
    Welcome to the Forum. Sounds like a sweet machine.
    You can obtain a copy of the original production order from the Studebaker National Museum to verify its original configuration.

We would love to see some pictures.

Brad Johnson
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight
    Brad Johnson,
    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Thanks for the info, I will order one for sure.

I will post some photos once I find some old pics to scan.

Thanks again.

Comment

Dave, if it is a factory R2 4 spd wagon it is extremely rare. I am sure someone is verifying the numbers and will respond here soon. That tag on the firewall probably reads "4 SPD", not "4 SFD", for the 4 speed transmission.

Comment

BINGO! It's a real one, David; congratulations!

63V34040 was indeed an R2/4-speed Wagonaire with bucket seats, disc brakes, Twin Traction, and heavy-duty springs and shocks. It was originally white, so someone must have changed the color along the way.

The original Engine Number was indeed JTS1687, so the car still has it's original engine in it. Good.

Yes, we'd all like to see some photos. Welcome to the forum with a most unusual Wagonaire. BP
          We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

David, I have received your emails and will log the car into the Wagonaire Registry and the Daytona Registry. I am glad you posted your questions here - I'm no authority, that's for sure. Bob Palma (above) has given you the straight skinny. Understand that Wagonaires are a popular subset of Stude-mania and the hi performance 4-spd setup make yours very rare and desirable!

welcome!

--george

1963 Lark Daytona HT - 63V J8 175
            53-54 C/Ks, 55 Speedsters, 63 Daytonas, Wagonaires Registries

1963 Lark Daytona HT - 63V J8 175

Comment

Wow! What a neat car! I hope it brings you as much pleasure as it undoubtedly brought your father. And welcome to the Forum!

[img=left]http://members.cox.net/clarknovak/lark.gif[/img=left]

Clark in San Diego
              '63 F2/Lark Standard

The Official Website of the San Diego Chapter of the Studebaker Drivers Club. Serving San Diego County

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Congratulations, That's quite an inheritance.

R2Andy
                R2Andrea

Comment

David,
                  When the owner of the local AMC dealership retired, he took an MD with him. I always had to chuckle when I'd see this 80 year old man putt around town in a signature car

[img][img]
                  Dwain G.
                  Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

Major score David, extra rare combo in a Wagon! []

StudeRich at Studebakers Northwest -Ferndale,WA
                    StudeRich
                    Second Generation Stude Driver,
                    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Thanks guys I will post some pictures as soon as I scan some into the computer. Currently it has the pass side doors removed as he had a fender bender before he passed and wiped out both doors...on a fairly fresh restore to boot..ouch. I purchased NOS doors from SASCO and i'm in the process of fitting them back on for a final paint. The center post was pushed in slightly so I am working on getting the post back to where it belongs to make the doors fit properly.

Any idea on how many of these they made? I thought my Donohue was rare....until now.

Thanks again.

Comment

David,
                        Read the "Sticky" about posting pictures. You must first post them to a web site like photobucket. Then you can insert them here; can't insert directly from your computer.
                        Brad Johnson,
                        SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                        '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                        '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

David, a friend on mine in Minnesota has one and from what he told me many years ago that there was only 3 built this way, his was a rust bucket when he got it but I took a super clean rolling body from California to him years back, and the last time I talked to him he had just started on making the change over, His name is Tony Berbig in Mayer, Minnesota...952-955-2848 I am sure he would like to talk to you about them...Bob

Bob Peterson / C & B Studebakers

Castro Valley, CA

Candbstudebakers
                          Castro Valley,
                          California

Comment

Oh man, that sounds like a sweet car! I wonder how well it leaves eclipses behind on the freeway?

Dylan Wills

'61 lark deluxe 4 door wagon
                            Dylan Wills
                            Everett, Wa.

1961 Lark 4 door wagon
                            1961 Lark 4 door wagon #2 (Wife's car!)
                            1955 VW Beetle (Went to the dark side)
                            1914 Ford Model T

Comment

Welcome to an exclusive club David. There were 15 R2 Wagons built in '63, 2 of which had the full Super Package. My survivors list is quite old but your car would bring the total to at least 6. Be sure to register your car with our Jet Thrust Roster keeper Ron Ellerbe (ellerbe@pacbell.net) and join the Jet Thrust News at http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/S6364JTN

R2Andy
                              R2Andrea

Comment

Working...
                              X