No announcement yet.

50 stude champ/slickstreet frontend???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 50 stude champ/slickstreet frontend???

Anyone know why this does not fit a 50 champ? Only 51 up is listed ? looks good to me..any comments vs. MII approach? Seems better, about same cost net.. Anyone who has done this, even on a later car?

I have a (51) w MII, OK but not great , needed wheel space outs, about .75" with off the shelf backspacing aftermarket wheels in 51 starlight ; that aggravates balance and runout BS , don't like that part, still wide turning radius, or hits tire inside on frame/suspension. Not so easy to modify high end wheels.. Slickstreet looks like a great idea... I considered going mostly stock stude, later brakes etc, but wary of metal A frame "bearing" (?) setup, and vibration transmission to frame. wide open for input..

Some kind of kit to modify just the A arm to frame part to later rubber parts would seem like a good idea? Do later A arms with rubber fit, or anything like that? Maybe whole later suspension set up? But 50 champ has no bell crank, better i think.. looks like 60's Mopar steering , w idler arm , tie rod about at flywheel front, at space between flywheel and oil pan.(I thought that was a neat idea!) . A new box would be easy, keep all stock Stude, except A arm mounts ?

John,
    Here's one 'opinion'....
    This is not the greatest forum to ask this particular question.
    Since you are heavily modifying your front suspension, you should be asking the people that do this all the time...and do it with great success.
    Call Rene Harger direct up in Knoxville and ask him your questions directly. He's a good man, and will do his best to answer your questions.
    Call Fatman Fab in Charlotte ands ask them.
    Call Heidt's in Illinois and ask them.
    Here, your ear will be mostly bruised with opinion, and not fact based experience..... (notice I inserted the word 'mostly')
    Not a slam or anything, but an opinion.
    Now, to try and answer some of your original comments...
    Explain exactly what you mean by balance and runout BS?
    How does a 3/4" offset change make a change in your balancing?
    Same question goes for runout.
    I guess I am not clear on what you mean by these terms.
    Turning radius issues have been quite well documented with MII setups for a long, long time.
    I don't understand your stock brakes question either.
    Do you have an MII installed, or are you just considering it?
    Your post soounds like it is already in there...
    Questions.. So many questions[]
    Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by john grady

Anyone know why this does not fit a 50 champ? Only 51 up is listed ? looks good to me..any comments vs. MII approach? Seems better, about same cost net.. Anyone who has done this, even on a later car?

I have a (51) w MII, OK but not great , needed wheel space outs, about .75" with off the shelf backspacing aftermarket wheels in 51 starlight ; that aggravates balance and runout BS , don't like that part, still wide turning radius, or hits tire inside on frame/suspension. Not so easy to modify high end wheels.. Slickstreet looks like a great idea... I considered going mostly stock stude, later brakes etc, but wary of metal A frame "bearing" (?) setup, and vibration transmission to frame. wide open for input..

Some kind of kit to modify just the A arm to frame part to later rubber parts would seem like a good idea? Do later A arms with rubber fit, or anything like that? Maybe whole later suspension set up? But 50 champ has no bell crank, better i think.. looks like 60's Mopar steering , w idler arm , tie rod about at flywheel front, at space between flywheel and oil pan.(I thought that was a neat idea!) . A new box would be easy, keep all stock Stude, except A arm mounts ?
    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

I read that to mean that he has a 51 with MII, and was wondering about putting something different in his 50 because he wants something wider. Sounds like he used deep dish wheels plus had to use spacers to get the tires out far enough. This would cause a huge scrub angle to the steering. It wouldn't track well and would tend to steer towards bumps more drastically. Also would be difficult to park; especially on an incline with the brakes on. Ess10 sounds pretty tempting to me. I'm not REAL familiar with the 50 setup, but if it uses an idler arm, it shouldn't be too difficult to adapt rack and pinion. Who makes a disc kit?

Comment

Working...
      X