front coil springs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• front coil springs

I'm just about ready to set a 230 Chevy six in my 64 Cruiser. Can any one tell me what the V8 engine weighed that was in the Cruiser? I know that a Chevy inline six weighs about 75 lbs more than a Chevy small block V8. I'm wondering if the car will be lower with the 230 in it. An inch or so lower would be ok.Thanks

thom
    thom

The chevy six is a hundred pounds lighter than the sbc. So, your car will sit a lot higher.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by buddymander

The chevy six is a hundred pounds lighter than the sbc. So, your car will sit a lot higher.
      A '64 Cruiser came with a STUDEBAKER V8...A Chevy 6 is probably at least 200 pounds lighter than the Stude V8. It will look like it has a nosebleed .

This chart puts the Stude at 650 pounds and the Chevy 6 at 440...

Dick Steinkamp
      Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
      Bellingham, WA

Comment

Actually I have stood back and looked at my car with no engine and transmission in it and it has not raised up as much as I thought.I was remembering the older 216 and 235 engines , which I have had more experience with,when I said an inline six was heavier than a smallblock v8.Even if I eventually have to change the front springs , the project continues.Thanks.

thom
        thom

Comment

Very interesting thread for its twists and turns in such a short time.

Comment

does anyone know if the coil springs for a 1964 V8, (non-avanti) (part #1561664) would be OK to use in a 53 CK with a stude 289 engine? thanks- m weiss

ok

Comment

quote:Originally posted by mweiss

does anyone know if the coil springs for a 1964 V8, (non-avanti) (part #1561664) would be OK to use in a 53 CK with a stude 289 engine? thanks- m weiss
              This 1561664 is not a BAD choice for a K model Hardtop (heavier than "C") because I see that it was used on all '64V-Y models and J Hardtop WITH AIR, '64V Wagonaire WITH sliding roof, '64V Convertible and 64V-K GT Hawk, all with standard springs WITHOUT AIR, so these are relatively Heavy V8 [u]STANDARD</u> springs.

I think it would be slightly better to get H.D. springs which are NOT variable rate, you could ask your supplier if these are EXACT copies of the [u]Standard</u> Variable rate Stude. springs, which were good when new, but soon collapsed.

Spring Specialties Co. will make them Stock for each specific model of Stude. or H.D., custom, lowered, raised, whatever. They are here:

StudeRich at Studebakers Northwest -Ferndale,WA
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Thanks!I think we last talked when I was looking for a speedster molding. You'd just sold the last one. Anyway, these are NOS springs, and I can pick them up at half the price SI wants for them, but sure didn't want to hassle them in and out if they wouldn't work/allow the car to sit correctly, and handle correctly.This hardtop is going to be a high horsepower unit, if all goes according to plan, so it sounds as though I would be better off getting new HD springs.... By the way, do you have any of the pin kits for the A-arms? These seen to be getting hard to find.There's upper outers, lower inners, etc. thanks again for your input-m weiss

ok

Comment

quote:Originally posted by mweiss

By the way, do you have any of the pin kits for the A-arms? These seen to be getting hard to find.There's upper outers, lower inners, etc. thanks again for your input-m weiss
                  Sorry Manuel, all of the Studebaker Vendors get those from the same source, and I HAD some, but no more as they are now NLA.

FYI; my '54 Champion Starliner with a 299 c.i. Avanti V-8 and Overdrive, sits maybe 1 1/2 to 2 inches higher than level in front, and it is running NOS '62 GT H.D. Air Cond. Springs, gives it a little weight transfer to help traction, and I happen to like the "Boy Racer" Drag/Street Racer look, as opposed to the lead sled, "in the weeds" Slug, or broken springs look! [)]
                  StudeRich
                  Second Generation Stude Driver,
                  Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                  SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I put 85 camaro Z28 springs in my 62 Hawk. It has a 360 Mopar engine and I had to cut 1 1/2 coils off and bend another half coil in two places for it to seat. It sits as stock and rides and handles great.

Comment

Working...
                    X