Using an 8 volt battery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using an 8 volt battery

I have seen many 6 volt cars at shows with 8 volt batteries and was wondering what besides the battery, do you have to do?
    I would like to convert my Red 55 Speedster unless it gets To involved.
    My 55 L/L Speedster is already converted to 12 volts.
    Jack

1955 SPEEDSTER LEMON/LIME
    1955 SPEEDSTER RED & WHITE
    1964 R2 GT HAWK (SID)

Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!

Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!

The only real difference is that the generator, or rather the regulator has to be tweaked to output slightly in excess of 8 volts. Light bulbs are brighter and don't last quite as long.

Best solution is to assure yourself that all wiring connections between the battery and the starter are excellent and that the starter is in like new condition.

My 53 Commander cranks well on a six volt battery.

[img=left]http://www.alink.com/personal/tbredehoft/Avatar1.jpg[/img=left]
    Tom Bredehoft
    '53 Commander Coupe (since 1959)
    '55 President (6H Y6) State Sedan
    (Under Construction 573 hrs.)
    '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
    All Indiana built cars

Comment

The voltage regulator has to put out 9 volts.

7G-Q1 49 2R12 10G-F5 56B-D4 56B-F2

Comment

Stay with six volts and just correct what ails in the system (wire size, connections, starter condition, etc.).

Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I was in the battery business for 20 years. 8v batteries were a pain. So often the regulator would not be set high enough to keep it charged and the customer would come back with the famous statement "This battery won't hold a charge" If you have the proper cables 6v should start it fine. I did a bit of overkill and made 1/O or 2/0 cables to transfer the current.
          Denny L

Comment

I agree with Gary & Denny... Fix your bad (usually ground) connections, make sure you have the correct battery cables and enjoy the Stude. I had an 8 V battery in an old Ford pickup of mine & every time the old flathead got wound up a bit at night, I lost at least one headlight. I quit driving it at night; and finally got it sold.

duane miller

Comment

98% of the time, 6V starting issues are due to wrong-sized cables. It only takes ONE undersized cable to be the bottleneck in the start circuit![V] Of the 2% left, one will be either a bad end on a cable or a dirty/corroded end-of-cable connection point. The remaining percent will be something wrong with the starter.
              Don't forget (as some do) that while there's the two "battery cables", there's also the heavy cable from the starter solenoid to the starter (on vehicles where the solenoid is remotely mounted). It's the third member of the starter feed cables and it has to be adequate in size as well.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
              1963 Cruiser
              1960 Larkvertible V8
              1958 Provincial wagon
              1953 Commander coupe
              1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

...To add to what Mr Biggs said, the post on the starter that the cable is bolted to, can become oil soaked which, I believe can bleed off some of the amperage..... and many of the 6 volt starters have lubrication caps at the end plates and require a drop or two of oil now and again..

Bob Johnstone

64 GT Hawk
                55 President State Sedan
                70 Avanti (R3)
                64 GT Hawk (K7)
                1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

Working...
                X