Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I think he's got it; by George, he's got it!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think he's got it; by George, he's got it!

While there is an upside to vapor lock -- like meeting all sorts of people who ask if you need any help or talking to those who stop by to reminisce about the cars they used to own -- I finally got tired of having Grace die on Pine Hill Road (note the middle word, Hill) from vapor lock after a long, fast run. I really don't like using ether to get her started, but when you're an impediment to the flow of traffic, you gotta do what you gotta do.

So I bought myself a 6-volt Airtex electric fuel pump. It's a pretty simple solenoid pump that I hid underneath, attaching it to the underside of the floor near the studs that the rear seatback attaches to. I added a fuel filter between the tank and pump and wired it to a toggle switch on a small panel just to the right of the heater control handle.

The early evening temperature here in Hummelstown was in the low 90s, and since I had a worship and music committee meeting at our church, I decided to put Grace and her new pump to the test. Turn on the ignition, flip the fuel pump toggle to charge the fuel line, pump the accelerator twice, hit the starter switch, and she roared to life. When I got on I-83 north to head to I-81 south from where I'd pick up US 22/322 to Dauphin, PA, Grace stumbled a bit, so I flipped the fuel pump back on, and she smoothed right out. On the way home, no problems, but when I got to Pine Hill Road, I flipped the puel pump back on, shifted the old Detroit Gear automatic down into first, and Grace walked right up the hill. Success at last!

With the fuel line routed as original (when cars didn't vapor lock consistently), I still had problems that I could only attribute to modern gasoline.

Kindest regards,

Alan Mende
    Hummelstown, PA

I'm not a mechanic; I don't even play one on TV.
    Kindest regards,

Alan Mende
    Grantville, PA

I'm not a mechanic; I don't even play one on TV.

Alan,
    I had vapor lock problems with my '53 Commader. I had a fuel pump put on my car last year.
    Occasionally I have to hit the switch when driving to push gas into the carb. I have not been stranded yet since adding the pump.

Gary Sanders
    Nixa, MO
    President Toy Studebaker Collectors Club. Have an interest in Toy Studebakers? Contact me for details.
    Gary Sanders
    Nixa, MO

Comment

I wrapped some tin foil around my gas line and attached it with a couple of paper clips. Most folks that see it get a chuckle out of it (those that are old enough to know why it's there). I had a judge at a zone meet that fussed at me for leaving it on for the judging. Some people just have no sense of humor...

Jon Stalnaker
      Editor, Hawk Talks
      Karel Staple Chapter SDC
      Jon Stalnaker
      Karel Staple Chapter SDC

Comment

oops, I meant attached with clothes pins.

Jon Stalnaker
        Editor, Hawk Talks
        Karel Staple Chapter SDC
        Jon Stalnaker
        Karel Staple Chapter SDC

Comment

I just added a 6V pump to a customers '54. He lets the car sit for long periods and doesn't wish to have to open the hood and use ether...or crank-n-crank to get fuel up to the carb.

I had an NOS Wiper switch in my parts stash....so I installed it in the original "fog" light switch hole. The switch should handle the "load" from the pump easily. It's wired to the accy side of the ignition- through a circuit breaker.

The pump is mounted just in front of the axle arch in the frame

Ray

Specializing in Studebaker Restoration
          Ray

www.raylinrestoration.com
          Specializing in Studebaker Restoration

Comment

That's a clean 54, Ray!

[img=left]http://members.cox.net/clarknovak/lark.gif[/img=left]

Clark in San Diego
            '63 F2/Lark Standard

The Official Website of the San Diego Chapter of the Studebaker Drivers Club. Serving San Diego County

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Wow Thank You Ray

Mabel 1949 Champion
              1957 Silverhawk
              1955 Champion 4Dr.Regal
              Gus 1958 Transtar
              1955 President State
              1957 Golden Hawk
              Fresno,Ca
              Mabel 1949 Champion
              Hawk 1957 Silverhawk
              Gus 1958 Transtar