Water pump 289

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water pump 289

I understand that there was a run of water pumps that were bad. How do I detect a bad water pump? I installed a radiator cap with a temp gauge in it. The temp sits at abour 130 however the temp gauge inside sits at 230. If the water is not flowing proper would this cause the difference in temp from the rad to the block?

Studebakers forever!
    Studebakers forever!

Page 26, September 2005 Turning Wheels. BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

These bad water pumps are still being sold.
      Compare the impeller of your old pump.
      Read the article in TW . there are pictures and dimensions in there.
      Back issues can be ordered if you can not find this.
      See http://www.studebaker-info.org/tech/...wpc1/wpc1.html for part of this article.

When the engine is hot you should see a good flow of water in the top tank of
      your radiator.

Comment

I really appreciate you giving me the info, I don't have a 2005 TW I was not a member then. Why someone would think I had a back issue that far in the past is a mystery. Your info was right on time. One of these vendors here has sold me one of those bad pumps. I hope I have not ruined my motor. I thought they wanted the cars on the road not in some back yard with a cracked block. I spent over 5,200 dollars on this motor trying to keep the car all Studebaker. If you have these bad pumps why don't you correct them or throw them away!

Studebakers forever!
        Studebakers forever!

Comment

Hi Studelover,take out your thermostat and see what happens.
          dick waterreus

Comment

quote:Why someone would think I had a back issue that far in the past is a mystery.
            Don't be too hard on someone trying to help. Many of us have been members of the SDC for decades and it is easy to take that for granted. I have "Turning Wheels" back to 1975. However, I do understand your frustration. Check your thermostat like someone has already suggested. Also, use the correct (rather thin) gasket for the water pump. A gasket that is too thick will increase the clearance of the pump impeller in the manifold and diminish the pump efficiency.

John Clary
            Greer, SC

I have only two limitations ...BRAINS & ENERGY
            SDC member since 1975
            John Clary
            Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Phil Harris at Fairborn Studebaker checks each new pump before he sells it. If it is not right he corrects it before sending it out.

Ted

quote:Originally posted by studelover

I really appreciate you giving me the info, I don't have a 2005 TW I was not a member then. Why someone would think I had a back issue that far in the past is a mystery. Your info was right on time. One of these vendors here has sold me one of those bad pumps. I hope I have not ruined my motor. I thought they wanted the cars on the road not in some back yard with a cracked block. I spent over 5,200 dollars on this motor trying to keep the car all Studebaker. If you have these bad pumps why don't you correct them or throw them away!

Studebakers forever!

Comment

The pumps are supposed to have .015 clearance (well, maybe .01625) between the impeller and the back wall of the cavity. This includes the .007 or .008 inch gasket. If you double the gasket, you can see how quickly the pump action degrades. My pump, before it was corrected had .120 clearance, about 8 times what it should have had. Correctly set they are quite efficient. Otherwise not quite so.

[img=left]http://www.alink.com/personal/tbredehoft/Avatar1.jpg[/img=left]
                Tom Bredehoft
                '53 Commander Coupe (since 1959)
                '55 President (6H Y6) State Sedan
                (Under Construction 573 hrs.)
                '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
                All Indiana built cars

Comment

When I said that the incorrect pumps are still being sold I meant that they are still being sold by other vendors.
                  I replaced all the incorrect pumps that people bought from me with the correct pumps after Scott Stastny did theresearch.
                  He used modeling clay in the pump cavity and adjusted the impeller to a .006" clearance to the back of the pump casting.
                  Take a good look at the shape of the impeller also.
                  I saw a pump with the incorrect impeller also.

Comment

Working...
                  X